FiiO FH5 - Quad Driver Hybrid In-Ear Monitors || Knowles Balanced Armature Drivers
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:33 AM Post #1,607 of 2,258
All I know is that Fiio built the iems and I didn't, I'm not going to argue with them about the logistics of it.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #1,608 of 2,258
And sadly the myth continues. I note that the one party who could put this to bed by producing the measurements is strangely silent. If they had the data, they wouldn’t be. Disappointed with you FiiO. You made the claim. Back it up.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #1,609 of 2,258
And sadly the myth continues. I note that the one party who could put this to bed by producing the measurements is strangely silent. If they had the data, they wouldn’t be. Disappointed with you FiiO. You made the claim. Back it up.

Jan 11, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,610 of 2,258
Reminds me of a scene in Bull Durham:

Annie: I think probably with my love of four-legged creatures and hooves and everything, that in another lifetime I was probably Catherine the Great, or Francis of Assisi. I'm not sure which one. What do you think?
Crash: How come in former lifetimes, everybody is someone famous?
Crash: I mean, how come nobody ever says they were Joe Schmo?
Annie: Because it doesn't work that way, you fool!

Tyll Hertsens and RTINGS independently performed some instrumented tests on limited sample sets looking for evidence of driver break-in. Tyll didn't draw any conclusions, though his plots showed up to +/- 0.5 dB differences over time, increasing progressively. I'd argue that +/- 0.5 dB may fall within the margin of error (considering other factors such as progressive ear pad compression), and even if due to diaphragm compliance changes, is probably inaudible. I do know that my old AR91s sounded different when I replaced the foam surrounds about 18 years into their life. That would be an extreme example.
Tyls tests were on a large Q701 full sized driver. Now extrapolate that difference to a driver a fraction of the size - and you start to see how silly the claim is. And now you know where Shures engineers (who have the data) are coming from :wink:

Jan 11, 2019 at 8:04 PM Post #1,612 of 2,258
Hi all. I’m looking for an upgrade to my Klipsch x10, and am considering the fh5 and Shure 425, so around £200.
The Klipsch are on the way out, so I want something that will isolate equally if not better. For listening to mostly rock/post rock/ambient music.
Also, has anyone tried the BT2 from Shure, will it fit the Fiio?

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:27 PM Post #1,614 of 2,258
I like them very much and they fit as pair, for me, with the fh5.

I like listening with the q5 and the fa7 needs volume adjustment more than eq to keep the way the fa7 was tuned. For me the fa7 will be for an hour or less listening time with the way my ears and head are knitted.

They fit better than the fh5 and by size and weight the fa7 is more comfortable too.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #1,615 of 2,258
Thanks for your reply. I have the FH5 and like them but not blown away by them. I just received my new Ibasso IT01S and like them a lot. My next purchase will be the FA7 or the LZ A6 , I haven't mad up my mind yet. I use either my old Cowon J3, Fiio X5iii, or the Fiio M6, mostly the M6 when I'm mobile. As of now my favorite mobile is a tie between the TFZ Secret Garden 3 and the Magaosi K6.

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:34 AM Post #1,616 of 2,258
Hi all. I’m looking for an upgrade to my Klipsch x10, and am considering the fh5 and Shure 425, so around £200.
The Klipsch are on the way out, so I want something that will isolate equally if not better. For listening to mostly rock/post rock/ambient music.
Also, has anyone tried the BT2 from Shure, will it fit the Fiio?

I think FH5 would be a great IEM for your needs

It is in my list of IEMs that have a good degree of isdolation but is still comfortable

The sound is a tad forward for ambient and post rock, but since you're coming from X10, I think you'll be okay.

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #1,619 of 2,258
I am finding the stock cable of the FH5 impossible to remove from the mmcx connectors.
Seriously, if I apply more force I'm afraid something will break (like it did with the f9 pro...).

anyway, I'm liking the buds altough I can't help but say that none of the stock fits were to my liking.

the it01 foam tips I had seems to work great on the FH5. Bass is nice, maybe too overwhelming on some tracks.

Jan 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #1,620 of 2,258
I am finding the stock cable of the FH5 impossible to remove from the mmcx connectors.
Seriously, if I apply more force I'm afraid something will break (like it did with the f9 pro...).

anyway, I'm liking the buds altough I can't help but say that none of the stock fits were to my liking.

the it01 foam tips I had seems to work great on the FH5. Bass is nice, maybe too overwhelming on some tracks.

So did I the first time but as long as you pull straight on the conection you should be good, best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back