[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Jan 25, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #991 of 1,584
I’ve seen a couple of people say that the FD7 sound boring, but don’t explain why… I find that they handle power very well, and sound very energetic, it’s puzzling me.
I suspect they were not burnt-in long enough. Anyway to each his own and if you enjoy your FD7 then that's all that matters!!!

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:42 AM Post #992 of 1,584
I've yet to hear FD7 but certainly will - I suspect they have a 'polite' tuning rather than boring and some of how we hear that is dictated by the type of music we listen to. IER-M9 are described as boring at times, I find them incredibly precise, detailed, and musical but I would also tag them as polite, not boring. On the flipside, FH9 for example has a more exciting tuning with an overall energetic, bold presentation.

Anyway, my impressions until I actually hear FD7!

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #993 of 1,584
I've yet to hear FD7 but certainly will - I suspect they have a 'polite' tuning rather than boring and some of how we hear that is dictated by the type of music we listen to. IER-M9 are described as boring at times, I find them incredibly precise, detailed, and musical but I would also tag them as polite, not boring. On the flipside, FH9 for example has a more exciting tuning with an overall energetic, bold presentation.

Anyway, my impressions until I actually hear FD7!
Yes! Loved your accidental review of the FH9!!!

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #994 of 1,584
I’ve seen a couple of people say that the FD7 sound boring, but don’t explain why… I find that they handle power very well, and sound very energetic, it’s puzzling me.
Keep in mind "boring" for some/ most is a good thing in terms of perceived audio. :wink: (at least for me)

Read between the lines is the key here.

Jan 25, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #995 of 1,584
Well yeah polite might have been a better way to put it. Then again if you want higher levels of rumble just change cables to some SPC cable. At lest to my experience the silver cable is actually keeping the bass in check(or get FDX for that sweet meme levels of bass rumble)

Also FD7 is pretty rough with songs that has been compressed to hell and back. It truely sounds flat on those type of songs.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #997 of 1,584
FH9 is a fantastic IEM, delighted the mistake happened but it does mean I need to buy FD7 another time!
Just heard the FH9 yesterday. While I can respect and told my dealer I wouldnt change the sound of the FH9 one bit I do think it and the FD7 are targeting very different crowds.

The FH9 is a easy to listen to warm upper mid boosted smooth with gentle treble roll off to give that pseudo analog effect with 0 digital harshness coming though. Very coloured and very nice to listen for long hours on end.

FD7 on the other hand is a thinner sounding iem that thas endness extension on both ends and is almost flat with a touch of warmth that is highly dynamic and shows flaws in the recordings as they are and doesnt boost them.

Both very good iems but imo targeting the opposite ends of the spectrum with the FH9 being for the one that wants to enjoy a smooth and sweet listen and the FD7 for the detailhead.

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #998 of 1,584
Some just prefer tastier and v-sharped IEMs.

Feb 6, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #999 of 1,584

Seems like a fairly balanced review of a non burnt in FD7.

Also a nice reminder that not everyone has good dynamic and resolving systems to fully make use of the FD7 crazy dynamic depth. Also compressed mp3 on spotify greatly robs the dynamics of songs and sounds flat and boring on a very mild V tuned iem like FD7

@Duncan

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,000 of 1,584
I can't agree on mp3. However, I do not use streaming. Maybe that's the point.
A good source is able to reveal even such records as much as possible.
Of course, FD7 works well with quality recordings. However, they are not critical. So, I would say that they don't force you to pick good records, making bad ones worse. They just offer it, showing that they can do good records instead. Well, after listening to the hybrid FH9, I agree that the FD7 is the company's best iems.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #1,001 of 1,584
I can't agree on mp3. However, I do not use streaming. Maybe that's the point.
A good source is able to reveal even such records as much as possible.
Of course, FD7 works well with quality recordings. However, they are not critical. So, I would say that they don't force you to pick good records, making bad ones worse. They just offer it, showing that they can do good records instead. Well, after listening to the hybrid FH9, I agree that the FD7 is the company's best iems.
True. I guess poping over to spotify free after reading in the comments that that giz was mainly using that to test wasnt the best idea.

Interesting from what i understand from my dealer FH9 fits more peoples tastes as FD7 can be too tight and not warm enough so not that many people that A/B both get FD7

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #1,002 of 1,584
True. I guess poping over to spotify free after reading in the comments that that giz was mainly using that to test wasnt the best idea.

Interesting from what i understand from my dealer FH9 fits more peoples tastes as FD7 can be too tight and not warm enough so not that many people that A/B both get FD7
Just FH9 have a more typical "flavor" tuning. While FD7 is closer to a conditional reference. It reminds me a bit of the story with EE Odin and Wraith. Odin is flavorful and so popular that few people remember that in fact their top is the more restrained and honest Wraith.
But people are such creatures who love when they are beautifully lied to))

Feb 7, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #1,003 of 1,584
Just FH9 have a more typical "flavor" tuning. While FD7 is closer to a conditional reference. It reminds me a bit of the story with EE Odin and Wraith. Odin is flavorful and so popular that few people remember that in fact their top is the more restrained and honest Wraith.
But people are such creatures who love when they are beautifully lied to)

Lol, sad but true 😁 ignorance remains the most profitable industry.

Curious if anyone has comparisons of FD7 vs. any of the Thieaudio IEMs btw. Both are excellent brands

Feb 21, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #1,004 of 1,584
Been playing with tips some more and i have come to the conclusion that the FD7 needs a full solid stem to sound its best.

It would seem that the way that the FD7 propogates the sound isnt that directional and that any tip that has a soft upper core/semi bell shape difuses the sound to affect the imaging significantly. As such both the bass and vocal tips are not suitable for the FD7.

For bass boost/reduced pinna i found that final E and AET08 work well with the FD7 giving a more substantial and sustained low end while still maintaining difination of the varous images.

Not sure about vocal/pinna boosting. AET07 doesnt work for the same reason the vocal tips dont. Any suggestions on what to get will be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back