[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Nov 21, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #766 of 1,584
Hi,
Can you focus a bit more on how the FD7 compare with FD5 regarding soundstage, separation, layering, and details? Which sounds more open?

Thanks
@lgcubana Hi, can you please tell a bit more on this? I am thinking of purchasing it in the coming week, before that need your insight please.

Nov 21, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #767 of 1,584
@lgcubana Hi, can you please tell a bit more on this? I am thinking of purchasing it in the coming week, before that need your insight please.
No problem, in the works. Had to give my ears a little rest, as playing the Dunu Zen ( which is more sensitive than the FiiOs) at the same volume level as the FDs was a bit taxing.

Nov 21, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #768 of 1,584
[had to edit, as I posted a draft by mistake]
playlist: Stairway to Heaven, The only Rock Opera, Dream On
Test Songs.jpg

Come Together, Numbers, Black Magic Woman
Come Together.jpg

Soundstage
You aren't going to loose out, choosing either the FD5 or FD7, both play wide.

Separation & Details
FD5, in stock form. Because it plays brighter, than the FD7

FD5
In stock form, plays brighter than the FD7 (with the default, reference sound tube), which gives the FD5 the effect of a wider soundstage and greater detail and separation. But I can't say the default setup is in my wheelhouse. I like a warmer presentation. A good analogy would be a solid state vs. tube amp.

FD7
Against the FD5 (stock form), the FD7 (as all reviewers have said) plays back in a more natural state. For anything other than 2000's Hip Hop, FD7 for the win.

Sidenote:
On Black Magic Woman, you can't ask for a wider soundstage, on either unit

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #770 of 1,584
Just got my FD7 (together with an M11 Plus LTD but that's for another thread, another time).

My latest acquisition before that were the 7Hz Timeless (and before the Solaris 2020, IER-M9, Dorado 2020, etc.) you get the idea.

I found, and still find, the Timeless outstanding.

Out of the box — I don't care much for burn-in although I agree it can make a small to big difference depending on the driver(s) — the FD7 are equally outstanding.

With the bass nozzle on the FD7, I find them to share many traits with the Timeless despite their different drivers and setup.

The only exception to this is the sub-bass where the Timeless have the edge (or at least more of it).

But that says a lot in favour of the FD7 as I find planars to have the technological upper-hand (generally-speaking).

At their price, the Timeless are a no-brainer but the FD7 are clearly the most flexible of the two.

Both compete way above their respective price range.

Nota bene: I used both IEMs with Final E tips, balanced, running from a brand new M11 Plus LTD with the Super Slow Roll-off filter (yes it makes a difference and those of you who sold your M11 Plus LTD without trying the filters: you should have :p ).

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #772 of 1,584
The Fiio M11 Plus LTD ✕ FD7 was the best rendition of Nina Simone's 'Sinnerman' live in NY (1965) I heard to date

(Balanced, Bass nozzle, Final E tips, Super Slow Roll-off filter)

Simply stunning stuff

Comparing now with the 7Hz Timeless, the FD7 come close but the Timeless have this effortless quality… unbelievable.

Nov 25, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #773 of 1,584
? He used them for 2 weeks since he published the unpacking video on this forum.

Why can't you accept everyone hears different things? If not then we'd really need only 1 IEM.

drftr
Yes, it is good to listen to them from the start.
Over time they will get burned in. He may start to notice the improvement after a while.

I think it is a combination of:
- Burning in
- Your ears and brain get burned in (you learn to listen to these IEM's. Your brain adapts and learns to make more sense of it.).

Nov 25, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #774 of 1,584
So many burn in believers yet none provided any graph that burn in changes FR response. Including one of Penon's most visible employees.

Only real burn in is one left on your wallet caused by missing money. Use brains people!
The sound depends on two things.
1. The frequency response
2. The phase response

I haven't seen any phase diagrams yet.

Nov 26, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #775 of 1,584
Sometimes a recording is so good, and the synergy is there, and the stars align. ✨ The music is so beautiful that it literally brings a tear to your eye. 🥲

a0452046257_10.jpg

This is what I felt tonight through the FD7.

Thanks @Scuba Devils for the recommendation. 👍

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:26 AM Post #776 of 1,584
Sometimes a recording is so good, and the synergy is there, and the stars align. ✨ The music is so beautiful that it literally brings a tear to your eye. 🥲

a0452046257_10.jpg

This is what I felt tonight through the FD7.

Thanks @Scuba Devils for the recommendation. 👍

Fantastic album, glad you are enjoying too. Can't beat the experience of the stars aligning in the way you've described, especially to have a tear to the eye type experience - one of life's most special moments for me.

I'm loving the ZEN PRO - exquisitely tuned and well balanced IEM. A better all-rounder versus IE900 in my opinion! IE900 has almost unbeatable bass (in a single DD) and stunning treble but it loses on mids and as such, not going to excel in some genres.

I need to try FD7, definitely on the list still.

Nov 26, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #778 of 1,584
The Fiio M11 Plus LTD ✕ FD7 was the best rendition of Nina Simone's 'Sinnerman' live in NY (1965) I heard to date

(Balanced, Bass nozzle, Final E tips, Super Slow Roll-off filter)

Simply stunning stuff

Just finished Summer of Soul a couple days ago. It it someone said of Nina something along the lines of "she is the only one to convey both the suffering and the hope [of black people] at the same time". I thought it was a great way of describing her unique style.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #780 of 1,584
After near 150 burning hours, I could confirm that FD7 are better.
What a nice single DD iem, very balanced.

Bass is better, not boomy at all, with good impact and rumble ... even if it will not be enough for bass head :wink:
Mids are the best point of these iems, for my ears.
Male and female vocal are superb, especially with jazz vocal.
Now, I understand what good timbre means :wink:
For comparison they are less full but more precise than my Maestro V2.

Treble is good too, with plenty of detail, but without peak.
Soundstage is good too, but not as deep as expected.

They sound great with my hidizs DH80, but better with my Fiio M15.
Nice job @FiiO.

... still 50 more hours of burnings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back