[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Nov 20, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #751 of 1,592
I have to make sure I'm understanding you correctly on this: You say the FD7 creates a bit of a muddy mess in the bass, correct? I can understand some genres benefit from a warm low end but for classical music some instrument groups simply become to unclear and I lose all tight and punchy behaviour. That's not something I want. Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting...

drftr
No, the FD7 does not suffer from excessive mid bass bleed. No mud

Also, there’s a debate, on whether a single dynamic driver can keep up with a complicated piece, as well as a multi driver can.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #752 of 1,592
The bass on the fdx is great. Def no muddy sound. All round excellent iem

Nov 20, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #753 of 1,592

Also, there’s a debate, on whether a single dynamic driver can keep up with a complicated piece, as well as a multi driver can.
A well designed single dynamic driver can keep up with esse.
An the FD7 is one of these.
I eats Mahler's 6th for breakfast.

Nov 20, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #756 of 1,592
Hmm... You just touched my weak point... It's just that I only want ONE (pair) of IEMs and there's so many others that are staring at me (mostly Isabellae and Turii at the moment).

drftr

If only buying one IEM, I don't recommend Isa.

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #758 of 1,592
This being part of my learning curve and trying to find out what kind of compromise would suit me best: What would I miss out on in your opinion?

drftr

It's a very smooth and more intimate DD, works really well with vocals, acoustic, smooth jazz etc. I love it but for very specific music. That said, I'm listening right now to a genre I don't normally and it does sound very good, maybe I've just had it in too specific a category for the last while!

What are your genre preferences?

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #759 of 1,592
It's a very smooth and more intimate DD, works really well with vocals, acoustic, smooth jazz etc. I love it but for very specific music. That said, I'm listening right now to a genre I don't normally and it does sound very good, maybe I've just had it in too specific a category for the last while!

What are your genre preferences?
Anything really. I have thousands of pop/rock/prog/metal albums, maybe a thousand world music, and another thousand combined classical plus jazz. However, over the last few years I'm listening more to world, jazz, and classical and I expect that trend to continue. But for obvious reasons I don't want to miss out on all those albums that basically shaped my life. So I'm really looking for the best compromise possible and thought that a more neutral IEM - although not the best for any specific genre - might still work out best over my whole library, as it would simply do nothing wrong.

drftr

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #760 of 1,592
Anything really. I have thousands of pop/rock/prog/metal albums, maybe a thousand world music, and another thousand combined classical plus jazz. However, over the last few years I'm listening more to world, jazz, and classical and I expect that trend to continue. But for obvious reasons I don't want to miss out on all those albums that basically shaped my life. So I'm really looking for the best compromise possible and thought that a more neutral IEM - although not the best for any specific genre - might still work out best over my whole library, as it would simply do nothing wrong.

drftr

Hmm ok, Isa could do the trick so - I'd be less confident about classical though as don't really listen to it much to say whether Isa will perform well. I've actually been listening to Isa now since earlier as a result of this conversation and loving them, ambient music though.

Nov 20, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #761 of 1,592

drftr

What are you listening with currently if you don't mind me asking?

And why not simply getting an Oxygen for starters? Safe bread & butter tuning, decent technically and not too expensive.

Nov 20, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #762 of 1,592

And why not simply getting an Oxygen for starters? Safe bread & butter tuning, decent technically and not too expensive.
Using Sony's in Oxygen territory and I'm not happy with them, both for tuning and technicalities so I think it's time to step up my game. But since my nomadic lifestyle I can't keep changing so I want to take the plunge just once, retire the hobby yet again until they're beyond repair, and focus on music again. I've stepped out and in before and it's easy enough to do for me, contrary to many others on Head-Fi, I think.

This partly explains why I don't want anything that can easily become too offensive over time. I don't want to be wow-ed by its performance during the first weeks.

drftr

Nov 21, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #763 of 1,592

Hello Chickenmoon, How does the FD7 compare to the Turii? Is the jump significant?

Nov 21, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #764 of 1,592
Hello Chickenmoon, How does the FD7 compare to the Turii? Is the jump significant?

Well, they are close technically with, I believe, the Turii still having a small edge over the FD7 but they have significantly different sound signatures. FD7 is resolutely warm and not so forward whereas the Turii has just a little bit of warmth and is rather forward. I think the Turii's bass digs a bit deeper than the FD7's but as it starts rolling off earlier the FD7 feels sub-bass oriented by comparison to the Turii. Overall I'd say the FD7 is a more relaxed and forgiving IEM whereas the Turii feels more accurate and transparent but can become fatiguing if pushed just a bit too loud. I prefer the FD7 on EDM and other bass oriented genres and the Turii on the rest.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #765 of 1,592
Well, they are close technically with, I believe, the Turii still having a small edge over the FD7 but they have significantly different sound signatures. FD7 is resolutely warm and not so forward whereas the Turii has just a little bit of warmth and is rather forward. I think the Turii's bass digs a bit deeper than the FD7's but as it starts rolling off earlier the FD7 feels sub-bass oriented by comparison to the Turii. Overall I'd say the FD7 is a more relaxed and forgiving IEM whereas the Turii feels more accurate and transparent but can become fatiguing if pushed just a bit too loud. I prefer the FD7 on EDM and other bass oriented genres and the Turii on the rest.
Thanks man! Firms my decision in getting the FD7.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back