[FiiO FD7/FDX] 12mm dynamic driver with its diaphragm using pure beryllium, with an outer-magnet field, up to 1.5 Tesla magnetic flux.
Dec 10, 2023 at 6:08 PM Post #1,547 of 1,584
My biggest issue with FD7 if you can even call it that is that its extremely cable picky. Sure it can have multi BA levels of microdetail but the cable needs to be just right. Lots of silver cables are designed to smooth out the sound but you need a open and something as aggressive as the stock cable but without the extra warmth that comes with the the stock fiio silver cable.

Copper on the other hand since its teathering on slightly slow can potentally make it extremely full bodied and fun but then you loose out in alot of the fine detail. If you start going OCC I havent tried many but it tends to make it overy bright yet overy smooth.

So yeah at the end of the day the stock cable is still the best unless you want to squeese that last bit of detail out of the FD7.

Also the FD7 sounds so good on desktop gear.

Dec 10, 2023 at 6:28 PM Post #1,548 of 1,584
My biggest issue with FD7 if you can even call it that is that its extremely cable picky. Sure it can have multi BA levels of microdetail but the cable needs to be just right. Lots of silver cables are designed to smooth out the sound but you need a open and something as aggressive as the stock cable but without the extra warmth that comes with the the stock fiio silver cable.

Copper on the other hand since its teathering on slightly slow can potentally make it extremely full bodied and fun but then you loose out in alot of the fine detail. If you start going OCC I havent tried many but it tends to make it overy bright yet overy smooth.

So yeah at the end of the day the stock cable is still the best unless you want to squeese that last bit of detail out of the FD7.

I've used stock silver, Fiio copper, Sony copper and even a Sony Kimber and all sound same to me 😉 I just go with comfiest and close matching design.

Might be a slight difference copper vs silver but marginal to my ears.

I've given up chasing cable sound impacts with any IEMs.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 11:36 PM Post #1,549 of 1,584
I definitely prefer the LC-RE Pro 2022 over the stock cable or the older LC-4.4D that I have.

As @llysender had just mentioned, the scalability of the FD7 is very good, loving it even more with my new FiiO K9.

Dec 11, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #1,551 of 1,584
@Duncan Could you please tell me the difference between LC-RE PRO 2022 cable vs the other cables? I'm very curious.
To be fair, there isn't much of a difference, and - some of it (as I cannot hot-swap, and do a direct A/B), to me the Pro 2022 is warmer / tighter with smooth highs, the stock cable is brighter / sharper and the 4.4D cable is pretty much the same as the stock cable.

Personally, if I had my time again, I would NOT buy the Pro 2022, but - where I did, and - I can perceive a difference (whether confirmation bias or otherwise), which to my ears is pleasing.

It might be worth noting, if wanting a new cable, that - if you can get it - the cable that came with the FDX (the original RE Pro) is said to sound the same as the Pro 2022, but - be more malleable.

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #1,552 of 1,584
To be fair, there isn't much of a difference, and - some of it (as I cannot hot-swap, and do a direct A/B), to me the Pro 2022 is warmer / tighter with smooth highs, the stock cable is brighter / sharper and the 4.4D cable is pretty much the same as the stock cable.

Personally, if I had my time again, I would NOT buy the Pro 2022, but - where I did, and - I can perceive a difference (whether confirmation bias or otherwise), which to my ears is pleasing.

It might be worth noting, if wanting a new cable, that - if you can get it - the cable that came with the FDX (the original RE Pro) is said to sound the same as the Pro 2022, but - be more malleable.
Thanks! You saved me for spending some unnecesary money then :)

Jan 8, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,554 of 1,584

If you want to forget cables you can grab a ifi go pod for the FD7.....

Jan 20, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #1,555 of 1,584
My tip of the month with the FD7 is the Tangzu Sancai - very open, with a tight bottom end, worth the price of entry even at the surprise inflated U.K. prices.

Jan 20, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #1,556 of 1,584
Keeping on this topic, allow me to share two of my favorite eartips with the FD7.

This goes especially for the folks that enjoy firmer materials and wider outlet diameters so the eartips interact as little as possible with the sound.

NF Audio MS42​

1705767412900.png

AZLA Crystal TWS​

1705767461769.png

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #1,558 of 1,584

Users who are viewing this thread

Back