FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #316 of 381
Nov 10, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #317 of 381
Actually, I am getting a NA2 (NM2 is too pricy for me). I want a secondary set for casual listening and movie watching.

Price concerns are quite understandable! The final audio E3000 and the Hifiman RE400 might be worth investigating.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2020 at 8:06 PM Post #319 of 381
This is where it confuses me. Some are complaining FD1 has weak bass.
I don't mind the bass, but the problem with bass is if it isn't fast and tight, it tends to eclipse the mids. That is something I hate.
Also, there is not a lot of difference between the price of T2 Plus and FD1. So, the price won't make much of a difference to me.

What I worry about is the complaint of harshness and metallic flavour to the sound of FD1. Are those cases outliers, or is that something that is a characteristic of FD1?
Relatively.FD1 has less bass but is faster.FH1s is a little bit more bass.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 10, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #321 of 381
Thanks. Is the variance between the sets within limits?

I have two sets of the FH1s. My daughter took my original. She refused to giving it back after trying it. Both units were identical, sound-wise, after about 40 hours of break in. I highly recommend the FH1s but classical music is not its strongest suit. Now, pop and EDM... :)

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:34 AM Post #322 of 381
A few of days ago I posted that I had given up on the idea of getting the FD1 as I was totally confused by the polar opposite reviews and opinions and wasn't going to risk purchasing. As luck would have it a new audio shop had a demo pair so I gave them a go with my test tracks and was happy to find out they were to my liking. My biggest concern was the upper mid range and treble but although I can understand what people are describing they passed the test on my 80's test tracks that are on the brighter side and would have definitely highlighted any unpleasantness.

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #323 of 381
A few of days ago I posted that I had given up on the idea of getting the FD1 as I was totally confused by the polar opposite reviews and opinions and wasn't going to risk purchasing. As luck would have it a new audio shop had a demo pair so I gave them a go with my test tracks and was happy to find out they were to my liking. My biggest concern was the upper mid range and treble but although I can understand what people are describing they passed the test on my 80's test tracks that are on the brighter side and would have definitely highlighted any unpleasantness.
Dear friend,

Thanks for the kind feedback. Different people may having different preferences with the same headphone. Glad to hear that the FD1 were to your liking! :tulip:

Best regards

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 16, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #324 of 381
Thank you for enjoying it. The best way to choose earphones is to listen to them in person.

Nov 16, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #325 of 381
Thank you for enjoying it. The best way to choose earphones is to listen to them in person.
Yes I agree, but for many people they don't have access to an audio store or many stores don't have demo units to try so we rely on reviews and these threads. I understand that we hear differently and use different gear etc but there a some very, very different opinions for the FD1 - I'm so lucky I came across a store with a demo unit otherwise I would have had no confidence in buying based on so many different reviews.
The FD1 is incredible value for money for both the quality of sound and the design and cable and also the accessories - well done!

Nov 18, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #326 of 381
Hello guys!

I'd like a bit of help if you all please, I'm currently searching for a replacement for my old and broken Sony MDR-EX500, which to me sounded very much like haven must sound, lots of power, oceanic and very defined bass and sub-bass, natural sounding, detailed mids and trebble, absolutely no hissing and sibilance, easily driveable by phones and mp3 players and sounding quite right without amping. I'm not an audiphile of any kind, but I know how I like my sound, and those earphones were just perfect, except of course the stupid cable Sony insists on using.

My main use is running/cycling/commuting and long trips; and long nights as secondary use (those last ones, amped, I'll use my full sized Yamaha or Scott).

After about a week of reading and researching here and everywhere, I found the task to be overwhelming, there's just too many similar options now, varying in minute details and 3 or 4 BAs in each case, I miss those days (about 15 years ago) when I could just enter the Sony shop and grab the 2nd or 3rd most expensive ones and be confident they'd sound terrific. I should have bought the MDR-EX800 back then, or at least a second MDR-EX500 for backup, alas, I didn't.

About 10 years ago I bought some Sony with I think 4 BA and had to sell them immediately (I got them on an incredible discount and sold them higher), because I didn't like them at all, the sound was so digital, so hissing, the trebles were too much, and while the bass was punchy and out-of-my-head, it also sounded artificial compared to the single DD of the MDR-EX500, even my lesser EX71 and EX85 sounded better (less bodied, less bass, of course, but still better sounding) . Maybe BAs have evolved in a good way? I gather that much from the reviews, but I honestly don't know as I haven't had any other experience with those types.

So, I managed to narrow my search a bit to the FiiO FD1 and FH1s, leaning towards the FD1 because if there's something *most* agree on, is that FD1 has more bass, which is puzzling to me because they have a smaller driver (still I'm a bit worried, because my Sony had a 13.5mm driver, which also is larger than the FD1).

The thing is, there is just about an equal number of completely opposed and interchangeable reviews of those two IEMs from FiiO, so I'm really unsure about what to really expect. Who to trust?

I've also narrowed my search and included the KZ ZS10Pro (did I get the model right? Man, they're worst than BMW cars!) which would be perhaps a best fit to my needs because I gather they sound better (than the FD1) unamped, and having a more pronounced V-shape they also sound better with meagre sources (I'll use a couple of the small iPods, and my phone, mostly).

Those three somewhat fit my third world budget, I really won't be spending much more than that.

So, if I could ask for advice from you guys, particularly if you had experience with both the FD1 and the ZS10Pro, I would thank you very much!

Thanks for reading and in advance for your comments!

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #327 of 381
Hello guys!

I'd like a bit of help if you all please, I'm currently searching for a replacement for my old and broken Sony MDR-EX500, which to me sounded very much like haven must sound, lots of power, oceanic and very defined bass and sub-bass, natural sounding, detailed mids and trebble, absolutely no hissing and sibilance, easily driveable by phones and mp3 players and sounding quite right without amping. I'm not an audiphile of any kind, but I know how I like my sound, and those earphones were just perfect, except of course the stupid cable Sony insists on using.

My main use is running/cycling/commuting and long trips; and long nights as secondary use (those last ones, amped, I'll use my full sized Yamaha or Scott).

After about a week of reading and researching here and everywhere, I found the task to be overwhelming, there's just too many similar options now, varying in minute details and 3 or 4 BAs in each case, I miss those days (about 15 years ago) when I could just enter the Sony shop and grab the 2nd or 3rd most expensive ones and be confident they'd sound terrific. I should have bought the MDR-EX800 back then, or at least a second MDR-EX500 for backup, alas, I didn't.

About 10 years ago I bought some Sony with I think 4 BA and had to sell them immediately (I got them on an incredible discount and sold them higher), because I didn't like them at all, the sound was so digital, so hissing, the trebles were too much, and while the bass was punchy and out-of-my-head, it also sounded artificial compared to the single DD of the MDR-EX500, even my lesser EX71 and EX85 sounded better (less bodied, less bass, of course, but still better sounding) . Maybe BAs have evolved in a good way? I gather that much from the reviews, but I honestly don't know as I haven't had any other experience with those types.

So, I managed to narrow my search a bit to the FiiO FD1 and FH1s, leaning towards the FD1 because if there's something *most* agree on, is that FD1 has more bass, which is puzzling to me because they have a smaller driver (still I'm a bit worried, because my Sony had a 13.5mm driver, which also is larger than the FD1).

The thing is, there is just about an equal number of completely opposed and interchangeable reviews of those two IEMs from FiiO, so I'm really unsure about what to really expect. Who to trust?

I've also narrowed my search and included the KZ ZS1Pro (did I get the model right? Man, they're worst than BMW cars!) which would be perhaps a best fit to my needs because I gather they sound better (than the FD1) unamped, and having a more pronounced V-shape they also sound better with meagre sources (I'll use a couple of the small iPods, and my phone, mostly).

Those three somewhat fit my third world budget, I really won't be spending much more than that.

So, if I could ask for advice from you guys, particularly if you had experience with both the FD1 and the ZS1Pro, I would thank you very much!

The FD1 are very nice sounding, and in fact I am purchasing them soon to replace my Sony XBA-N3 (hybrid - DD,BA) for mostly movies as I have fit issues and love the over and in ear design of the FiiO, otherwise the N3 are technically better and priced that way.
I have come from a long line of Sony iems and really enjoy the typical healthy bassy sound, you perhaps might find the FD1 to not have as much bass as you are accustomed to. The bass is there but I don't feel it hits as hard or as deep as any of my Sonys have.
I've learnt that specs alone don't often produce the results you were expecting like with driver size, my XBA-Z5 were 16mm and I went to a 10mm driver and although there are times I can hear differences in the bass presentation the tuning of the 10mm can often hit harder. Based on specs of the 13mm driver I would have chosen the FH1s.
I'm not trying to put you off the FD1 but I don't want you to be disappointed looking for that warmer sub bass Sony sound.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #328 of 381
Hello guys!

I've also narrowed my search and included the KZ ZS10Pro (did I get the model right? Man, they're worst than BMW cars!) which would be perhaps a best fit to my needs because I gather they sound better (than the FD1) unamped, and having a more pronounced V-shape they also sound better with meagre sources (I'll use a couple of the small iPods, and my phone, mostly).

So, if I could ask for advice from you guys, particularly if you had experience with both the FD1 and the ZS10Pro, I would thank you very much!

The FD1 are very nice sounding, and in fact I am purchasing them soon to replace my Sony XBA-N3 (hybrid - DD,BA) for mostly movies as I have fit issues and love the over and in ear design of the FiiO, otherwise the N3 are technically better and priced that way.
I have come from a long line of Sony iems and really enjoy the typical healthy bassy sound, you perhaps might find the FD1 to not have as much bass as you are accustomed to. The bass is there but I don't feel it hits as hard or as deep as any of my Sonys have.
I've learnt that specs alone don't often produce the results you were expecting like with driver size, my XBA-Z5 were 16mm and I went to a 10mm driver and although there are times I can hear differences in the bass presentation the tuning of the 10mm can often hit harder. Based on specs of the 13mm driver I would have chosen the FH1s.
I'm not trying to put you off the FD1 but I don't want you to be disappointed looking for that warmer sub bass Sony sound.
I concur with this assessment. While the FD1 has a good amount of very clean bass, it may not be as much as you are accustomed to with Sony products. The KZ ZS10 Pro has more bass, but the treble from the BAs sound a bit metallic to me (my opinion). One of my bass head IEMs uses a 6mm DD for the bass, so driver size is not a good indicator.

Perhaps one of the BLON IEMs would be best for you. They use DDs. The BL03 has been the most popular one, and it has plenty of bass, but the fit is atrocious for many people. There have been a few newer BLON IEMs released, including the brand new BL01, which may be perfect for you, but people are only now receiving their orders of it.

Here are some threads to explore, post questions.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/blon-in-ear-monitors-impressions-thread.916702/post-15983120
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/knowledge-zenith-kz-impressions-thread.698148/post-15984433

Edit: Oh, if considering the FiiO FD1, maybe also look into the Jade Audio EA1, which is the same IEM for less money.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #329 of 381
I bit the bullet and purchased the FD1. I was considering the FH3, but I have a DK-2001. My hybrid needs are well taken care of. :) I do not have a pure DD set that is really satisfying. A Luna is way out my disposable income range. The Dunu 480 is not tuned to my taste, an aggressive U-shape. The Re400 and Re600 do not stack up well versus IEMs designed in the last few years. The final E2000 is not making the grade anymore.The final E3000 is coherent and nicely detailed but it is too dark at reasonable volume for my taste and causes undue pressure on my ear drums. I also need to crank the volume up too much to reach the E3000’s sweet spot. The FD1 has design features that address my ear drum quirks. (Kudos the fiiO)!

I will break the FD1 in then report back with a comparison it to a number of other IEMs I own. What is the recommended break in/ burn in time for the FD1?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #330 of 381
Hello guys!

A fiiO rep has said the FH1s has more bass than the FD1. The FD1 has quicker bass per the fiiO rep.I can vouch that the FH1s has notable and enjoyable bass. For under $100, the FH1s is a serious contender for value, depending on your needs and taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back