FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Aug 16, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #272 of 381
I‘ve read some people’s comments about the treble being bright and sibilant on the FD1. Everybody’s hearing is different, but now I’ve listened to 2 different pairs of FD1s (they actually sound quite a bit different :thinking:), and I didn’t find either pair harsh or sibilant at all. The upper mids are pronounced, but not to the point of shoutiness, IMO. Regarding the treble, I actually felt that it wasn’t well extended with my first pair, but it was very smooth. The second pair is quite a bit more extended and airy, yet equally smooth.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #273 of 381
I‘ve read some people’s comments about the treble being bright and sibilant on the FD1. Everybody’s hearing is different, but now I’ve listened to 2 different pairs of FD1s (they actually sound quite a bit different :thinking:), and I didn’t find either pair harsh or sibilant at all. The upper mids are pronounced, but not to the point of shoutiness, IMO. Regarding the treble, I actually felt that it wasn’t well extended with my first pair, but it was very smooth. The second pair is quite a bit more extended and airy, yet equally smooth.

Why do you have 2? Are they burned in for same amount of time? Different manufacturing date for two?

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #274 of 381
Look, it was the same with the EA3. I hate sibilance , and EA3 was somewhat bright - this forced me to listen at low volumes, and this was the main reason why I loved it. FD1 seems similar, I believe the bass is even stronger than on the EA3. I didn't give the FD1 enough burn in time, but I believe it gets better with time

So far, I love it! Soundstage, imaging, bass, everything

Aug 16, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #275 of 381
Why do you have 2? I had to exchange my first pair. It worked fine, but there was something loose in one of the ear pieces.

Are they burned in for same amount of time? Second pair has not been played as long yet.

Different manufacturing date for two? I have no idea.

I have not come to any conclusions regarding perceived differences in sound between the two sets. Too many variables.

Aug 16, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #276 of 381
Mine has a slightly faulty plug, it sometimes has a rattling sound till I tap gently on the cable near the plug or rotate it a bit.

Aug 16, 2020 at 9:03 PM Post #277 of 381
Look, it was the same with the EA3. I hate sibilance , and EA3 was somewhat bright - this forced me to listen at low volumes, and this was the main reason why I loved it. FD1 seems similar, I believe the bass is even stronger than on the EA3. I didn't give the FD1 enough burn in time, but I believe it gets better with time

So far, I love it! Soundstage, imaging, bass, everything

I haven't heard the Fiio FD1, but I gotta agree with your findings on the Jade Audio EA3. EA3 is very highly affected by the Fletcher Munson curve. It is a baseline bright set to begin with, but sounds more V shaped with harsher treble/sibilance with higher volumes; whereas at lower volumes, it becomes more U shaped with a more tamed treble.

Coupled with all of us having different hearing health, using different tips/sources, and by default some are trebleheads/treble sensitive, this usually gives varying opinions on the treble of certain sets eg Fiio FD1. Not to mention QC issues sometimes in budget gear giving unit variations in the tuning.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #278 of 381
I‘ve been listening to the FH3 and IT00 a lot lately, and comparing them with some other IEMs. I haven’t been listening to the FD1 for some time, and I just started listening to them again. Wow, I still attribute the same 2 words to the sound, natural and clear. The clarity of sound feels like a breath of fresh air. It’s a bit hard to describe technically. Acoustic instruments sound so incredibly natural to me. It’s just such a pleasant listen.

Aug 23, 2020 at 2:39 AM Post #279 of 381
Acoustic instruments sound so incredibly natural to me.

I've only had the FD1 for 2 days but that's my impression too. Acoustic guitars are so great and lifelike. Also i noticed that the soundstage width is better on the FD1 than IT00. Overall i can't yet say which i prefer between IT00 and FD1. It's kinda nice to have both. Where the Fiio wins definately is the accessories it comes with. Cable is great and better than the IT00 cable and the case is also very nice.

Aug 23, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #280 of 381
I've only had the FD1 for 2 days but that's my impression too. Acoustic guitars are so great and lifelike. Also i noticed that the soundstage width is better on the FD1 than IT00. Overall i can't yet say which i prefer between IT00 and FD1. It's kinda nice to have both. Where the Fiio wins definately is the accessories it comes with. Cable is great and better than the IT00 cable and the case is also very nice.
I think the IT00 and FD1 are actually quite complementary. The FD1 has a more natural, smooth, organic sound (in stock form). The IT00 has a more bombastic and exciting sound. I like the soundstage and imaging of the FD1 more.

Sep 7, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #284 of 381
Affordable single DD IEMs such as these are so addictive to me. No matter how good hybrid, tribrid, multi-BA IEMs get, these relatively simple designs are just so amazing sounding.

Sep 9, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #285 of 381
Listening again to them after a bit of pause and the clarity, energy and punch is still immediately impressive and extremely enjoyable with the right music. Also, they do benefit a lot from a better source, i listened today to them through the Apple dongle, the DX160 and the iFi Zen Can paired with the DAC of my Burson C3R and each time there was a very obvious improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back