FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Jul 1, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #76 of 381
According to today's BGGAR YT video (comparison between FD1, BL03, Urbanfun ybf-iss014, Tin T2+, Moondrop Blessing 2 and SSR), the FD1 is not being recommended if you are listening to his music genres and need as much bass as he likes. Mids and treble also were not rated very high. I am not sharing his opinion all the time and I am listening to a wider spectrum of music as he does (not saying this for being arrogant, but it's a fact), but it was an informative video. I need my bass actually and I don't matter a V-shape signature for commuting with a smartphone as a source. I am quite confident about the FD1 being a good offering from FiiO as long as you are not awaiting wonders in terms of sound quality. By wonders, I mean a real game changer of something like that. In my opinion and based on my priorities, the most important in this price range is a good fit and isolation, a comfortable and non-microphonic cable, a decent selection of tips and a fun sound signature. Still waiting for my pair, but what I have read so far on this thread makes me think it should be an interesting IEM.
His findings on the FD1 were synonymous with mine, for right of the box, with no break in; 24 hrs of moderate playback and they have as much low end as you'd want.

Admittedly I EQ everything and play them balanced, through my Radsone ES100. I started with my settings for my Dunu DK-3001 and made minor tweaks to the three lower bands.
FiiO FD1 EQ.jpg

Jul 2, 2020 at 1:37 AM Post #77 of 381
His findings on the FD1 were synonymous with mine, for right of the box, with no break in; 24 hrs of moderate playback and they have as much low end as you'd want.

Admittedly I EQ everything and play them balanced, through my Radsone ES100. I started with my settings for my Dunu DK-3001 and made minor tweaks to the three lower bands.
BGGAR doesn't believe in burn in. Very convenient for a reviewer who gets so many sets, to not have to constantly be burning stuff in (I have 2 of my older DAPs basically dedicated to burn in duties and often am using both) ....

I always take his opinions on planars and DDs with a grain of salt given this. Bery drivers and planar drivers generally require the most burn in to settle down IMO.

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #78 of 381
According to today's BGGAR YT video (comparison between FD1, BL03, Urbanfun ybf-iss014, Tin T2+, Moondrop Blessing 2 and SSR), the FD1 is not being recommended if you are listening to his music genres and need as much bass as he likes.
Agree with this. Just listened for one of BGGARs staple test tracks: "When the Levee Breaks", and it was a bit harsh, suffered from sibilance too. But my FD1 had only about an hour of moderate volume burn-in out of the box, so will get back to that later. As for the bass, - defying the graph, doesn't sound lacking at all. Old rock recordings benefit from boomy bass, because they were mastered for that kind of FR, so something like BLON BL03 or N3ap fits.
:warning: :warning: One thing to note - treble is intense, almost NiceHCK NX7 kind of intense with similarly wide presentation. I thought this kind of treble going to kill my ears accustomed to Fearless Roland & Penon Orb, but amazingly, it's not happening yet. :warning::steam_locomotive: Please don't pull the trigger based on the first impression! Note, that my expectations were low! It appears that Youtube reviewer Hifi Dreams can be trusted. I was intrigued by his review:
So, first impressions WOW! This is IMHO, the first DD IEM since Xelento, that appears to be able to do treble properly. Granted, I avert of DD IEMs since EX1000 that I intensely disliked despite awesome soundstage. IBasso it01 wasn't an exception. Liked it01 for workouts but couldn't live with that grainy treble in a quiet environment. (All DD to me sound problematic @ the high end of the FR). Single DD IEMs are having a come-back, it appears. Certainly got my attention to a greater degree than dual DD Dunu DM480 which treble didn't impress me much. Blon BL03 was a non-starter, IMHO, its treble is terrible, cannot bear it.
So far, I'm impressed by the sheer dynamics of the sound, especially bass. It's reminiscent of EA3 or even FH7. Also, FD1 treble is definitely more tolerable to me than EA3. Tonality is pretty good too, sounds very natural, lively. So now I'm going to put it to burn in more and get back to another toy I got today (Legacy3)...

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:50 AM Post #79 of 381
Juz got my fd1. Initial impression is not really preferred sig. Bass is too less for me. Treble although not sibilant is quite emphasized. Good for live accoustics tracks, but not rock/kpop. Gonna sell the fd1 off and get the tin t2 plus

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #80 of 381
Juz got my fd1. Initial impression is not really preferred sig. Bass is too less for me. Treble although not sibilant is quite emphasized. Good for live accoustics tracks, but not rock/kpop. Gonna sell the fd1 off and get the tin t2 plus
Yea, I was worried about the lack of bass from the graph I saw. Glad to hear the treble is not sibilant.
How long did you use them? Many people are saying the Be drivers need "burn-in". Also, did you try them on a high powered source?
I also read the bass was pretty tame on the T2 Plus. Have you tried the Blon-03 or Urbanfun? Maybe those might be a better choice?

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #81 of 381
Yea, I was worried about the lack of bass from the graph I saw. Glad to hear the treble is not sibilant.
How long did you use them? Many people are saying the Be drivers need "burn-in". Also, did you try them on a high powered source?
I also read the bass was pretty tame on the T2 Plus. Have you tried the Blon-03 or Urbanfun? Maybe those might be a better choice?
I intended to burn-in at first but gave up since it wont help much with the lack of bass i guess. its the overall tone of the fd1 that doest really suit my taste. i paired it with my single ended dx160 on high gain. The iem itself looks very nice and comes witb a lot of accs. Cable is also damn nice. My blon03 is otw.

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #82 of 381
I intended to burn-in at first but gave up since it wont help much with the lack of bass i guess. its the overall tone of the fd1 that doest really suit my taste. i paired it with my single ended dx160 on high gain. The iem itself looks very nice and comes witb a lot of accs. Cable is also damn nice. My blon03 is otw.
The FD1 really needs at least 24 hrs of break in, for the sub bass to shine. If you get a chance, read the entire thread. You'll see that the only references to a lack of low end are from initial, right out of the box impressions.

Here's my review, after 24 hrs. of break in: Link

Jul 3, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #83 of 381
The FD1 really needs at least 24 hrs of break in, for the sub bass to shine. If you get a chance, read the entire thread. You'll see that the only references to a lack of low end are from initial, right out of the box impressions.

Here's my review, after 24 hrs. of break in: Link
All right, gonna do the burn in. i changed to sony triple confort and the bass improved abit. the lack of bass might also be due to the design of the iem itself which is quite hard to properly seal. i tried pushing in the iem very slightly and the bass woke up.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 8:51 AM Post #84 of 381
Where'd you see this graph? cant find any frequency response online

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #85 of 381
So far, I'm impressed by the sheer dynamics of the sound, especially bass. It's reminiscent of EA3 or even FH7. Also, FD1 treble is definitely more tolerable to me than EA3. Tonality is pretty good too, sounds very natural, lively. So now I'm going to put it to burn in more and get back to another toy I got today (Legacy3)...
Finally got around to comparing the FD1 vs Jade Audio EA3

For me, not enough of a difference to consider the FD1 an outright upgrade to the EA3; they're more like fraternal twins, than cousins.
I would agree that the EA3 is a little bit more airy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
FiiO vs FiiO 1.jpg

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #86 of 381
I would agree that the EA3 is a little bit more airy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
I didn't literally say that but kind of inferred the gist of it. EA3 is more V than FD1. More bass, that is similarly impactful, and yes - more air, also sounds like more treble too but something is very different in FD1 presentation. It sounds to me like FD1 has significantly faster decay and because of that notes/sounds of percussions appear thinner and sound less metallic than they should.
BA drivers aren't known for fast decay, except for bass. They resonate a lot and make treble sound thicker. I noticed, that on that scale of perfect decay for percussions: - Planar(Obravo Cupid & IMR RAH) are good, and ABM(Shuoer Tape&Singer) sounds most accurate. My EST (Fearless Roland) has very fast decay that makes percussions sound ethereal and almost too thin & dry. At this stage, I notice the same kind of quality with FD1 treble. Is this a bad thing? Not sure. That hyper-resolution can make the IEM to be genre selective, not good all-rounder. (Great example of all-rounder is Legacy 3) On the other side of this - Piezo-Ceramic - that makes juicy wet & thick treble notes (Some DD drivers may sound similar). EA3 is a good all-rounder, but FD1 has the potential to be very special.
I have hope that FiiO hasn't had overdone the driver speed, and with more burn-in, - I'll hear treble notes thicken and get more natural. If not, it will be a genre-specific IEM. Will see what it does well with...

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #87 of 381
What tips do you guys use? The stock bass tips and memory foams aint doing it for me. i resorted to sony triple comfort to get at least a better seal. I do agree these iem is somewhat genre specific because of that thin sounding treble. it shines with accoustic music, especially those live /concerts type.. Sort of ok for rnb too, but not so with my kpop music. i came from sony's n3ap & mh755 so initially i was hoping fd1's bass could at least match those 2 iem. Now still burn-in on going, hopefully can imcrease the bass and tame the treble.

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #89 of 381
The more I read from this thread, the more I feel like FiiO dropped the ball with this one. "Hey, let's make our single DD IEM sound like all our other IEMs!"

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #90 of 381
The more I read from this thread, the more I feel like FiiO dropped the ball with this one. "Hey, let's make our single DD IEM sound like all our other IEMs!"
Yea, I was really hoping that since it was their first single DD IEM, they would do something special.
Anyways, here's BGGAR's graph.

Attachments

• fd1.JPG
    fd1.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back