FiiO FD1 - 10mm 1DD IEM
Jul 22, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #226 of 381
The more I listen to the FD1 with the center vent taped with MP tape, the more I’m starting to like them perhaps more than the UF. What I can’t figure out is why should anyone buy this over the EA1?
Is there a difference of quality of the cables?

Jul 22, 2020 at 7:42 PM Post #228 of 381
Jul 22, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #229 of 381
How is the EA1 cable? I read the FD1 reviews and that cable seems to be of decent quality. My IT01 cable was prone to becoming a tangled mess and as I don't really want to spend more for another cable I would maybe choose the FD1.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #230 of 381
How is the EA1 cable? I read the FD1 reviews and that cable seems to be of decent quality. My IT01 cable was prone to becoming a tangled mess and as I don't really want to spend more for another cable I would maybe choose the FD1.
I like the EA1 cable quite a lot. I also like that it’s just copper. The EA1 cable is SPC, but also looks nice. I do like the Pelican-like case of the FD1 though. Just to clarify, I think the FD1 is totally worth it, it’s just that FiiO is cannibalizing the FD1 with the EA1, and it’s a bit baffling to me.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #231 of 381
I like the EA1 cable quite a lot. I also like that it’s just copper. The EA1 cable is SPC, but also looks nice. I do like the Pelican-like case of the FD1 though. Just to clarify, I think the FD1 is totally worth it, it’s just that FiiO is cannibalizing the FD1 with the EA1, and it’s a bit baffling to me.
Thank you. I wonder how different the sound is between the 2 cables, the SPC can brighten the sound - a positive thing or not?
I think they said they are trying to cater to another market which I assume is the ulra low priced end, whereas Fiio has really come a long way and has some great products but is competing at a higher price point, the FD1 being the lower end of that.
To be honest 'JadeAudio' sounds cool and I am keen to pull the trigger, but I am happy to pay a bit more if I can benefit from a better cable etc with the FD1.
For me these will be for tablet (movies) with the odd use for music.

Jul 22, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #232 of 381
Thank you. I wonder how different the sound is between the 2 cables, the SPC can brighten the sound - a positive thing or not?
I think they said they are trying to cater to another market which I assume is the ulra low priced end, whereas Fiio has really come a long way and has some great products but is competing at a higher price point, the FD1 being the lower end of that.
To be honest 'JadeAudio' sounds cool and I am keen to pull the trigger, but I am happy to pay a bit more if I can benefit from a better cable etc with the FD1.
For me these will be for tablet (movies) with the odd use for music.
If you have an amp that supports a balanced output, you're better off with the EA1 + aftermarket, TFZ/NX7 (terminated), balanced cable. Also both stock cables (FD1 & EA1) sit flush, to the raised, female connector, on the shell. The TFZ/NX7 terminated cable can be sunk down to the shell. But do leave a small gap (with the TFZ/NX7), as there's a port there.

TFZ/NX7 on left, stock cable on right
FiiO FD1 stock vs TFZ.jpg
1595465479965.png

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #233 of 381
If you have an amp that supports a balanced output, you're better off with the EA1 + aftermarket, TFZ/NX7 (terminated), balanced cable. Also both stock cables (FD1 & EA1) sit flush, to the raised, female connector, on the shell. The TFZ/NX7 terminated cable can be sunk down to the shell. But do leave a small gap (with the TFZ/NX7), as there's a port there.

TFZ/NX7 on left, stock cable on right
FiiO FD1 stock vs TFZ.jpg 1595465479965.png
My main iems have a balanced 2-pin cable which I may try with them but my main use will be with my tablet and sometimes phone.
I like the design and fit of this style, like the IT01 I used to have, although there was something about the IT01 that I didn't like, perhaps the grainy treble I have heard people describe. I'm hoping these will be more to my liking.

Jul 22, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #234 of 381
My main iems have a balanced 2-pin cable which I may try with them but my main use will be with my tablet and sometimes phone.
I like the design and fit of this style, like the IT01 I used to have, although there was something about the IT01 that I didn't like, perhaps the grainy treble I have heard people describe. I'm hoping these will be more to my liking.
Tons of texture, no grain. Wonderful timbre also.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #235 of 381
I keep seeing recc. to use an NX7 style connector cable, but for my anatomy personally, the FiiO included cable does not reach to the front of my ear, and rather than wrapping around the front of my ear cartilage, forces me to bend the cable slightly and tilt the earphone down so that it can. From what I can tell, most aftermarket cable offerings with an NX7 style connection actually have a bit more acute bend to them, making the problem worse. With a straight 2-pin connector (in particular, I'm using a Tripowin cable), I don't have that problem and this allows me to wrap it around my ear as intended. For those with big honkers of ears, or just big faces in general, I would caution against using an NX7 connector unless you find the stock cable comfortable.

Also, I probably would have just bought the EA-1 if I had known about it beforehand, but guys, I really, really like this case the FD-1 came with. Do I $30 like it? Probably not, as I could get a similar Pelican case for less than that, but I don't really regret the purchase, even though I'm not using the included cable or tips.

Jul 22, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #236 of 381
I keep seeing recc. to use an NX7 style connector cable, but for my anatomy personally, the FiiO included cable does not reach to the front of my ear, and rather than wrapping around the front of my ear cartilage, forces me to bend the cable slightly and tilt the earphone down so that it can. From what I can tell, most aftermarket cable offerings with an NX7 style connection actually have a bit more acute bend to them, making the problem worse. With a straight 2-pin connector (in particular, I'm using a Tripowin cable), I don't have that problem and this allows me to wrap it around my ear as intended. For those with big honkers of ears, or just big faces in general, I would caution against using an NX7 connector unless you find the stock cable comfortable.
Very good point. This is the same problem that a lot of people have with the stock BL03 cable.

Jul 25, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #237 of 381

Also, I probably would have just bought the EA-1 if I had known about it beforehand, but guys, I really, really like this case the FD-1 came with. Do I $30 like it? Probably not, as I could get a similar Pelican case for less than that, but I don't really regret the purchase, even though I'm not using the included cable or tips.
I just discovered the same with regards to comfort with a "standard" 2-pin cable. I have the NiceHCK 4N litz silver cable w/standard 2-pin with my FD1 now, comfort is greatly improved, and the seal is more stable. I also had the same issue with the NX7 Pro cable on some IEMs like the TFZ No. 3. Unfortunately I just severely bent the pins on one connector on my NX7 Pro cable, so I won't be using it any more out of fear that they'll break off, even if I can line them back up.

I continue to be impressed by the FD1. The clarity, separation, bass definition/texture and coherency all combine to be very engaging for me. Ideally for my tastes it'd have just a bit more warmth, but that's nitpicking. If the Jade variant really does sound exactly the same, then that's an incredible value at the price they're selling it.

Jul 26, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #238 of 381
I just discovered the same with regards to comfort with a "standard" 2-pin cable. I have the NiceHCK 4N litz silver cable w/standard 2-pin with my FD1 now

Yeah, it's definitely a lot more comfortable this way, glad you found the same to be true. Incidentally, how do you like that cable? I was looking at that brand on AliExpress, maybe even that exact cable, but I haven't had any experience with them.

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #239 of 381
Yeah, it's definitely a lot more comfortable this way, glad you found the same to be true. Incidentally, how do you like that cable? I was looking at that brand on AliExpress, maybe even that exact cable, but I haven't had any experience with them.
The cable is good for the price, although I think it isn't the best pairing with the FD1, I have a KBEar pure copper cable that I like better with it. NiceHCK cables are good, in general though, no complaints about any of the ones I have purchased to date. Their NX7 Pro cable served me well, and the pins on mine bent only because my wife stepped on my IEMs they were attached to after I had set them on the floor next to the bed.

Jul 27, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #240 of 381

Users who are viewing this thread

Back