Fiio EX1 2nd Gen
Aug 2, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #61 of 69
I have both gens, and they sound exactly the same to me. I also compared several sine sweeps. I'm pretty sure Fiio just slapped on the vol control on the new one.

beware that the default tips will accentuate the highs more. also covering the holes will do the same, see clarityfidelity's data on that. explains why some people think the new one sounds softer than the old, whose holes might be covered.

Fiio was careful not to change the sound from the Dunu titan in the last gen, as they stated previously, so them changing the sound at all in this new gen without telling us would be unusual.

Using earphonesplus large tri flange tips is a must for these earphones. They perfectly eliminate all resonances, creating supersmooth sound. I used those for my comparison.

I finally got around to picking a pair up today; the 1st gens are some of my favorite budget IEMs. If there's a difference between the two generations, I cannot tell. Something that was immediately noticeable (and aggravating) was the omission of the circular chin slider / cinch in the second generation.

Aug 18, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #62 of 69
I have both gens, and they sound exactly the same to me. I also compared several sine sweeps. I'm pretty sure Fiio just slapped on the vol control on the new one.

beware that the default tips will accentuate the highs more. also covering the holes will do the same, see clarityfidelity's data on that. explains why some people think the new one sounds softer than the old, whose holes might be covered.

Fiio was careful not to change the sound from the Dunu titan in the last gen, as they stated previously, so them changing the sound at all in this new gen without telling us would be unusual.

Using earphonesplus large tri flange tips is a must for these earphones. They perfectly eliminate all resonances, creating supersmooth sound. I used those for my comparison.
They didn't change the sound signature; they refined it. Even the original DUNU TITAN1 was a bit different than the first gen. EX1 in terms of sound. And I have both generations too. I clearly can hear a difference.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #63 of 69
They didn't change the sound signature; they refined it. Even the original DUNU TITAN1 was a bit different than the first gen. EX1 in terms of sound. And I have both generations too. I clearly can hear a difference.

If it was refined, then it changed. The only thing that changed was the material used for the cable, and the inclusion of an in-line remote. Additionally, there is no discernible difference between the Titan1's and the first gen EX1's.

Aug 19, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #64 of 69
If it was refined, then it changed. The only thing that changed was the material used for the cable, and the inclusion of an in-line remote. Additionally, there is no discernible difference between the Titan1's and the first gen EX1's.
You don't need to bold your words like that. Changing the sound signature is different than refining it. Plus, here's a measurement of both from Headfonia:

Titan-EX1-Graph.png

Aug 20, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #66 of 69
You don't need to bold your words like that. Changing the sound signature is different than refining it. Plus, here's a measurement of both from Headfonia:

Titan-EX1-Graph.png

Neither did you....

The individual who you originally quoted made a broad comment regarding the sound. To your point: a refinement of the sound signature is equivalent to a change.
Personally, I hear absolutely no difference between the two generations, but I would recommend the later for the improved cable.
Regarding the graph: Whether from manufacturing tolerances, or the circumstances under which the tests were conducted: a second pair of EX1's & Titan1 would have
yielded a similar infinitesimal deviation from the first test group.

Directly from the article:

"The differences between the Titan 1 and EX1 are very small – and probably more likely to my not having the exact same position of both IEMs in the measuring tube."

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #67 of 69
Neither did you....

The individual who you originally quoted made a broad comment regarding the sound. To your point: a refinement of the sound signature is equivalent to a change.
Personally, I hear absolutely no difference between the two generations, but I would recommend the later for the improved cable.
Regarding the graph: Whether from manufacturing tolerances, or the circumstances under which the tests were conducted: a second pair of EX1's & Titan1 would have
yielded a similar infinitesimal deviation from the first test group.

Directly from the article:

"The differences between the Titan 1 and EX1 are very small – and probably more likely to my not having the exact same position of both IEMs in the measuring tube."
I bolded it because "refine" was a key word. But why did you bold your words? To shout them out at me.
Anyway, refining is changing something only a bit, based on a previous version. You wanna call it a change? That's fine.

Regarding the quote from the article, I don't think misplacing in measurement tube produces such a big difference. Look at the peaks, that's 2dBs difference! Plus, if it was misplaced, why it changed only the treble section? One more thing: someone in a review of original EX1 on Head-Fi reported a small softening of treble in EX1 compared to Titan 1. You can go find it if you're interested. And let me tell you something before you do it: he didn't directly compare the two, he concluded this based on his memory.

Still, I can hear the difference between the two generations. 2nd gen's bass is more controlled and its treble is more detailed. And more importantly they differ in terms of sensitivity, which proves they didn't just change the cable and add a volume controller and microphone. Plus, changing cables can result in a different sound.

I don't wanna continue this discussion anymore. You can't hear a difference? Focus and listen again or do it with a better source.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #68 of 69
I bolded it because "refine" was a key word. But why did you bold your words? To shout them out at me.
Anyway, refining is changing something only a bit, based on a previous version. You wanna call it a change? That's fine.

Regarding the quote from the article, I don't think misplacing in measurement tube produces such a big difference. Look at the peaks, that's 2dBs difference! Plus, if it was misplaced, why it changed only the treble section? One more thing: someone in a review of original EX1 on Head-Fi reported a small softening of treble in EX1 compared to Titan 1. You can go find it if you're interested. And let me tell you something before you do it: he didn't directly compare the two, he concluded this based on his memory.

Still, I can hear the difference between the two generations. 2nd gen's bass is more controlled and its treble is more detailed. And more importantly they differ in terms of sensitivity, which proves they didn't just change the cable and add a volume controller and microphone. Plus, changing cables can result in a different sound.

I don't wanna continue this discussion anymore. You can't hear a difference? Focus and listen again or do it with a better source.

You're now dismissing the very article that you posted as 'evidence'..... :ok_hand:

At least we can agree that belaboring this discussion is an exercise in futility; your obstinance is staggering.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #69 of 69
You're now dismissing the very article that you posted as 'evidence'..... :ok_hand:

At least we can agree that belaboring this discussion is an exercise in futility; your obstinance is staggering.
Read what I said once more. I didn't dismiss anything.
And that's "obstinacy" not "obstinance". The one who's obstinate is you not me.
Enough of this nonsense. The others will judge who's right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back