Fiio E9 vs Schiit Valhalla
Dec 29, 2010 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Oddworld

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone heard both the Schiit Valhalla and the Fiio E9?

I currently own the E9 and love it, but was wondering if anyone has heard both and could comment on the differences. I understand I'm asking to compare tube versus solid state, but my understanding is that the Valhalla isn't very "tuby"

I use the AKG K702s

Thanks for all your help!

-Oddworld

Jan 2, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 6
Yea, I really need a comparison. I'm really digging my Fiio E7 + E9. You'd have to really show a big improvement for me to upgrade

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 6
Based upon reviews, the E9 is a great sounding product for the money.  For driving most headphone it seems to be all the amplifier that anyone would need.

If your cans are some of the known power hungry critters like the current rash of planar magnetics, or AKG 701/2, etc. then while the Fiio on paper will do ok, it will run out of gas at about .5W or less when driving a 50 ohm load, common to many of the current planars.

Depending upon the type of music you listen to, and how loudly you listen, again the E9 may be all you ever need.  If you're going to be more demanding and want better performance from your orthos, something like the Asgard or Valhalla will provide more robust power.  The Asgard is preferred for orthos, and the Valhalla has been given good marks with the AKGs.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #6 of 6
Sorry to revive/hijacking a old thread, but will this comparison be any different if it will be used for a pair of HD650? I am totally new to the audio scene and after a quick search, I found this so I didn't want to make a new thread. The genre of music that it will be mostly used for is r&b and hip hop.

Edit: I am referring to the E9 and the Asguard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back