Fiio E9, need help/opinion
Jan 13, 2012 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

ivantoar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Last time I posted here to get a recommendation on headphone. So I decided on Superlux HD668B and I was quite satisfied with it. But then, I thought to go further and I bought a Fiio E9 yesterday.

After a few listen, I noticed that my Fiio E9 makes my music sounds worse. I noticed this when I was listening to Rock music. With the Fiio E9, there are some details in the music missing and the drums sounds so flat whereas I got punchy drums if I don't use my amp.

I don't have Fiio E7, so I use 3.5mm to 3.5mm to use my Fiio E9. One side is plugged to speaker/headphone jack and the other is plugged in to Fiio E9's line in jack. Then I plugged in my Superlux HD668B which is using 3.5mm plug to the headphone output jack.

My Fiio E9 volume is set to 10 o' clock degree and gain is switched to high.

So, what is wrong with this? I expected a sound quality improvement. Is my E9 defective? Is there any wrong installation procedure? Is my headphone is not good enough to be amped? Or is it simply because my ears are crap?

Thanks in advance :)

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 42
No, you're double amping. You should be plugging in the E9 to the RCA out or whatever line out you have on your source. You shouldn't be plugging in an amp to the headphone/speaker jack ever, unless it's a last resort for hard to drive headphones.

What is your source. A computer? MP3 player? What? If you have a computer, you should seriously invest into an external dac (kinda like the Fiio E7, or E10...though the E10 us usb only).

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:
No, you're double amping. You should be plugging in the E9 to the RCA out or whatever line out you have on your source. You shouldn't be plugging in an amp to the headphone/speaker jack ever, unless it's a last resort for hard to drive headphones.
What is your source. A computer? MP3 player? What? If you have a computer, you should seriously invest into an external dac (kinda like the Fiio E7, or E10...though the E10 us usb only).

My sound source is a laptop. So, where should I plug my E9? I think I only have 2 audio related jacks, speaker/headphone and microphone. My laptop is Lenovo Y460 by the way.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 42
Oh okay. I think I'm going to get the E7 which can be plugged in to the top of the E9. Am I done after purchasing the E7 or do I need to add any other additional device?

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 42
Use the speaker jack also set the laptops volume to max and use the 6.3mm jack for the headphones your superlux's should have come with a 6.3mm adaptor, but you would be much better off with the e7 aswell.

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:
Use the speaker jack also set the laptops volume to max and use the 6.3mm jack for the headphones your superlux's should have come with a 6.3mm adaptor, but you would be much better off with the e7 aswell.

Still sounds worse compared to no amp. But it's sure sound a little bit louder using the 6.3mm jack. I think I really have to buy an external DAC.

What's the difference between 3.5mm and 6.3mm though?

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 42
If you're just using a computer, the E10 is cheaper than the E7 and is better, but doesn't dock to the E9. Hook up the E10 via USB to your laptop, and feed a 3.5mm male/male cable to the E9's line in. The E10/E9 will sound superior to the E7/E9 together. The E10 ONLY works through USB, so if you plan on using a portable amp without a laptop at times, the E7 will be more beneficial.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 42

Quote:
If you're just using a computer, the E10 is cheaper than the E7 and is better, but doesn't dock to the E9. Hook up the E10 via USB to your laptop, and feed a 3.5mm male/male cable to the E9's line in. The E10/E9 will sound superior to the E7/E9 together. The E10 ONLY works through USB, so if you plan on using a portable amp without a laptop at times, the E7 will be more beneficial.

I noticed that E10 is only 8 bucks cheaper than E7, is it really far more superior than the E7? I wouldn't mind to sacrifice portability for SQ if it's worth it.

Thanks for the information.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #13 of 42
I haven't heard the E10, but its pretty much agreed that the E10 is a noticeable bump in SQ over the E7. The upcoming E17 is a successor to the E7, and will dock to the E9 as well, also sounding better than the E10.

BTW, I would use the 1/4" (6.3mm) input on the E9, not the 3.5mm (sounds inferior). Just put the E9 on low gain for your 668b.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 42

Quote:
I haven't heard the E10, but its pretty much agreed that the E10 is a noticeable bump in SQ over the E7. The upcoming E17 is a successor to the E7, and will dock to the E9 as well, also sounding better than the E10.
BTW, I would use the 1/4" (6.3mm) input on the E9, not the 3.5mm (sounds inferior). Just put the E9 on low gain for your 668b.

Noted. Thanks :)

Well I'll just save my money for now and let me see whether E17 is affordable for me or not. If it isn't, I'll just go with the E10.

Ahh too bad, my E9 is going to be unused until I get a DAC... :frowning2:

Jan 14, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #15 of 42
It sounds like the OP like "extended high frequency" or the OP 's ears are used to the laptop sound from the headphone jacks.

The E9 is powerful and neutral on the warm side so if you are used to bright sound, you ain't going to like it with or without the E7 as USB DAC. I feel the E9 is very smooth and neutral without any brightness or offensive in your face type.

The E10 via my laptop on the other hand is some tiny dude ( about the size of the match box) who is really kicking butt. It's punchy, fast and it will make your hard rock music come alive. I like the E10 a lot but it's more like HI-FI sound. It's good stereo sound for fun and pure enjoyment.

The Audio Engine D1 on the other hand sounds more into enrty Hi-end sound. Just an entry level, that's calling for some serious and critical listening .

This is just one man opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back