FIIO E9 + E7 Problems (USB DAC Doesn't Seem to Work)
Feb 11, 2011 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

rdegges

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so please excuse me if I'm putting this in the wrong area. I've got a question regarding getting my new E7/E9 combo to work.

I've never had an amp before, and bought the e7/e9 based on one of the reviews I saw here, which spoke pretty highly of it. Before purchasing, I did some looking around, and it appeared that lots of users were using it with different operating systems (windows, mac, linux <ubuntu>). I, however, am having some problems getting it to work in USB DAC mode.

When I use it in normal pass through mode, with an MP3 player, everything works GREAT. But when I use it with the USB DAC, I have issues. Specifically: no sound.

I'm running ubuntu 10.10 (latest), and have never had any sound issues before what-so-ever. Playing music from my internal audio works fine, but when I switch my master channel over to the USB DAC one (which it auto-detects perfectly), then reboot, I get no sound what-so-ever. I'm not sure if I'm messing something up, or if this is a driver issue of some sort. I doubt that it's a driver issue, because the device is easily recognized, so I don't think that would be the root cause of the problem.

Anyhow, here's a snapshot of what my kmix audio settings display on ubuntu:

As you can see, it's set as the master channel, and the volume is all the way up. The way I have my actual E7/E9 configured is that I have the USB cable plugged in (obviously), the E7 docked, turned on, and the E9 turned on as well. My headphones are the only things plugged into the front of the E9, and on the back of the E9, the only thing plugged in is the power cable and USB cord.

Here's what it looks like:

Anyhow, I'd really love to get these guys working. I'm super excited to finally have a decent audio setup, with some good equipment and headphones. If anyone could give me some advice or ideas as to what I'm doing wrong, I would really REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks for all of your help!

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #2 of 8
Just wanted to post an update to this. I still haven't gotten it working, but after a lot more testing, I can confirm that the e7 and e9 work using my mp3 player, but still won't work using USB DAC. I sent the FiiO support department an email, but haven't received a response yet.

Guess I'll just wait and see what happens! I'll be sure to update with a solution when I get more information.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #3 of 8
Hm.. I posted in the other thread with problems regarding the e7/e9 dock problems as well as I only got sound out of the right channel using them as a combo. I ordered from Micca and they told me that in my situation it was most likely that the e7 had some type of problem and I sent it back to them yesterday for RMA. What happens when you use the e7 as a USB DAC by itself, not docked in the e9?

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:18 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Hm.. I posted in the other thread with problems regarding the e7/e9 dock problems as well as I only got sound out of the right channel using them as a combo. I ordered from Micca and they told me that in my situation it was most likely that the e7 had some type of problem and I sent it back to them yesterday for RMA. What happens when you use the e7 as a USB DAC by itself, not docked in the e9?

Not sure. I ordered my fiio combo there as well. I'm not having any problems.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 8
I ordered my FiiO E7 / E9 combo from Amazon.com. If I use the e7 by itself, I still get no sound via USB DAC. Maybe I should RMA the E7 unit? What do you guys think? Also, are you guys using Ubuntu?

Feb 13, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #6 of 8
I'm on Win 7 x64 with no driver related problems like that. I'm not sure about FiiO's support for linux, so before you write off the e7 as defective you may want to try it somehow on another OS.

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 8
No problems on Ubuntu 10.10 Gnome, also no problems on Ubuntu 10.04 server. I don't know about KDE but if it uses ALSA you could try sudo alsamixer in terminal and check if any outputs are muted ? I had problems with HDMI audio output on my 10.04 and solved them by unmuting SPDIF outputs using alsamixer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back