Fiio E9/E7 DAC/Amp upgrade?
Mar 6, 2016 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

demondave

New Head-Fier
I've got the original E7/E9 dac/amp combo on my desktop, and have been very happy with it for listening to flac files (all CD rips) on my PC for the last few years. I use Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (80 Ohm) and also been more than happy with them. Things move on and now wondering if there is a worthwhile upgrade without spending big money? I guess I'm looking at two scenarios:
1) Spending around similar to what I originally paid - would I get much better for the money now?
2) For around £400, how much better is something like the ADK Furutech GT40 or Fostex HP-A4 BL (balanced version since it is also mains-powered or won't that really be noticeable?)

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I have never used the DAC on the move, so that doesn't have to be accounted for. I was happy with my Cowon J3 and think my Fiio X1 is great, both as they are. I commute light so never thought about lugging around the DAC.

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 2
  I've got the original E7/E9 dac/amp combo on my desktop, and have been very happy with it for listening to flac files (all CD rips) on my PC for the last few years. I use Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (80 Ohm) and also been more than happy with them. Things move on and now wondering if there is a worthwhile upgrade without spending big money? I guess I'm looking at two scenarios:
1) Spending around similar to what I originally paid - would I get much better for the money now?
2) For around £400, how much better is something like the ADK Furutech GT40 or Fostex HP-A4 BL (balanced version since it is also mains-powered or won't that really be noticeable?)

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I have never used the DAC on the move, so that doesn't have to be accounted for. I was happy with my Cowon J3 and think my Fiio X1 is great, both as they are. I commute light so never thought about lugging around the DAC.

My advice...
Spend your money on headphones.

If you really want to stick with closed cans £400 will push you into TH-600 and DT-1770 territory.
If you want to add an open back headphone then theres plenty of interesting options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back