Fiio E7 on Windows 8
May 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

joeywreck

New Head-Fier
I just got the Fiio E7. It arrived with a dead battery so it's currently charging.. on my old Windows 7 laptop. It does not charge on my Windows 8 laptop. Does this even work on Windows 8? I've heard from people saying it would work. I can't get my laptop to recognize I even have the damn thing connected to the USB, let alone install any drivers. If there is a driver I would need for this and someone that reads this happens to know it, let me just add that while I know my way around a computer, I'm screwed when it comes to drivers unless there's some easy instructions. :frowning2:

EDIT: Forgot to mention. It works on my Windows 7 laptop. Also if anyone's interested I have Sennheisers HD380.

EDIT: I tried to follow 

Solved it, E7 working perfectly now. It is probably fair to describe what I did, so here it is:

1. Installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 x64 into VMWare player using my DVD (without activation).

2. Connected E7 to VMWare version of Windows 7 and it installed without problems.

3. Downloaded DoubleDriver freeware software that allows to backup and restore drivers.

4. Ran DoubleDriver in Windows 7/VMWare and backed up 3 drivers: USB Composite Device, USB Audio Device and USB Input Device.

5. Shut down Windows 7/VMWare.

6. Ran DoubleDriver on my Windows 7 and restored DoubleDriver backup. 2 drivers restored without problems, one didn't restore.

7. Connected E7 to my Windows 7. It installed with usual error: Code 28 driver not found, device USB Audio DAC.

8. Opened USB Audio DAC properties, selected Update driver and then Browse my computer.... Navigated to unpacked DoubleDriver backup. Windows then installed all the drivers automatically and then demanded restart.

9. Restarted the computer.

Result: Fiio E7 works perfectly! DoubleDriver saved me a day or two of Windows reinstallation so a donation is certainly in place.

One thing led to another and I uninstalled the driver which showed up hidden as "USB Audio Dac". Then it started showing up as "USB Audio Device". I uninstalled that because it wouldn't let me use a driver from my other laptop and now I don't see it anymore.. I told you I didn't know anything about drivers. I'm angry. I still see "Speakers (USB Audio DAC) under "Audio inputs and outputs". Previously "USB Audio Dac" was under "sound, video and game controllers"

May 4, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 2
SOLVED:

I turned off the Fiio E7.. unplugged it. Then turned it back on and plugged it in another USB slot.. The one I connected it in was a USB 3.0 connection so I was hoping to use that. Now it's working. I don't know which helped, but I doubt it was the USB slot. Maybe turning it on and off helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back