Fiio E7- Normal?
Aug 31, 2011 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Hifianddrumming

500+ Head-Fier
 Hello :)

I have had my Fiio E7 and E9 combo for a bit now, and I've noticed that when I dock my E7, the `fiio` lights up red. However, it often stops shining red, but goes back to shining red when I readjust it.

In the top of the screen, it does read ``DOCK``. I can adjust the volume and EQ, but it makes no audible differences and the EQ doesn`t make the music cut out and back in as normal.

When I dock it it usually does do a ``locked`` screen, then disappears.

My system recognizes it as a USB dac.

Just checking this is normal.

Aug 31, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
 Hello :)

I have had my Fiio E7 and E9 combo for a bit now, and I've noticed that when I dock my E7, the `fiio` lights up red. However, it often stops shining red, but goes back to shining red when I readjust it.

In the top of the screen, it does read ``DOCK``. I can adjust the volume and EQ, but it makes no audible differences and the EQ doesn`t make the music cut out and back in as normal.

When I dock it it usually does do a ``locked`` screen, then disappears.

My system recognizes it as a USB dac.

Just checking this is normal.

When the E7 is docked in the E9 and the red FiiO logo appears, it means the E7 battery is being charged. This means your E7 has the setting USB CHARGE = ON.

Volume adjustments cannot be performed on the E7 when it is docked on the E9. That is what the master pot (volume knob) on the E9 is for.
Also, the Bass Boost function of the E7 is disabled when you are using it docked in the E9. That's why there is no change in volume and the music does not cut out temporarily since the bass boost does not function when E7 is docked in E9.

Your system recognizing it as a USB DAC is correct and normal.

One thing I recommend is to disable your USB charge function on the E7 when you have sufficient battery levels. This way, the E7 is not constantly being charged/discharged while sitting in the E9 dock.

Battery levels good: Change setting USB CHARGE = OFF

When your E7's battery level is low, like 2 bars or less, turn the USB charge function back on so that it gets charged while being docked. 

Battery level low: Change setting USB CHARGE = ON

Remember to turn off the USB charge once the E7 is fully charged, to prevent overcharging and over wear of the battery.

Enjoy!

Aug 31, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 9
 Thanks so much! I was worried, I thought the red light meant docked and it kept becoming undocked or something. I was also told that I wouldn't even be able to turn the Volume up and down on the E7, that it would be locked and I wouldn't be able to do anything or control it in any way, which is why I was a little worried that I could still turn the volume up and down :)

Sep 2, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 9
There's good reason to be interested. The FiiO E7 might have a relatively accessible £60 asking price, but not only has the company making it built itself a good reputation in the portably amplifier space, but it's also done a cracking job of outfitting the E7 with a great selection of components and features in an exquisitely styled casing.

Sep 2, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 9
 I agree. Couldn't be happier at the moment, just loving every minute of listening. It took me two months to save up for the Combo and it's my first DAC or amp I've ever owned. Listening through my Grados = YUM.

Not only that, it doesn't look like I'm carrying a strangely shaped brick around.

Sep 6, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #6 of 9
My E7 arrived today and your thread answered a few questions for me without having to go into the search mode on this forum. I already have an E9 and was running my uDAC2 as the DAC and was very happy with the sound. Adding the E7 has brought a whole new level of listening pleasure for me. The very neutral (yet not clinical) sound coupled with a far better soundstage has had me going 'wow' at many of my recordings. I am listening to the Beaux Arts Trio playing Schubert piano trios and this is like I have never heard them before. Instrumental separation is really improved and it's great to hear the violin come in from a completely different place than the cello with no overlap. Direct digital streaming (kernel streaming seems to give the best result) just makes this an outstanding listening experience, especially with J.River MC16. Well done Fiio!

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:31 AM Post #7 of 9
 I  have yet to find anything better value for the money :) Nice and transparent with a tiny hint of warmth and an amazingly clear and effortless sound :)

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #9 of 9
 It performs well with the hd20s, that's my portable setup. Ipod-E7-280s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back