fiio e7 for my new m50s?
Dec 21, 2010 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

psuedosilk

New Head-Fier

i literally just received my m50s about 30 minutes ago....im only moderately impressed. maybe i expected too much. maybe i need to give them a bit more listening time. maybe its my source. maybe i dont know what good headphones are supposed to sound like. honestly they sound about equal to the dr dre beats i listened to at best buy.

i think most likely i need an e7. im currently listening to them via my ipod nano 3g. not sure how this player stacks up to other portable players, but it sounds WAY better than when i plug the phones directly up to my gateway desktop pc. i guess the onboard sound in my desktop is extremely low quality because the nano 3g blows it away. so, im thinking that if the e7 is a significant step up from the nano then it will be a huge step up from the desktop sound. all of my music is om my pc so i want to be able to listen directly from it as my source, but as of now i will just have to transfer any songs i want to listen to to my ipod and use it as my source.

im slightly disappointed as of now and hoping you guys would be able to steer me in the right direction as im considering returning the m50s. maybe i just need to save for some serious cans, idk. hopefully the e7 will do the m50s justice. 

i guess my main question is, can anybody tell me if the e7 will be a major improvement over my nano 3g?

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 5
As much as I love the E7 (70% mainly for the DAC, 30% based off the EQ settings), the amping itself is nothing special. For that, I'd wait until a few months when Fiio releases the E11, which is gonna outright smoke the E7 in terms of amping quality and quantity. Because it's an amp only, and has no DAC it's also gonna be CHEAPER than the E7. Fiio has stated this themselves. Hop on over to the portable amp section with the E11 thread. It's shaping to be quite a serious and affordable amp.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #4 of 5

Quote:
As much as I love the E7 (70% mainly for the DAC, 30% based off the EQ settings), the amping itself is nothing special. For that, I'd wait until a few months when Fiio releases the E11, which is gonna outright smoke the E7 in terms of amping quality and quantity. Because it's an amp only, and has no DAC it's also gonna be CHEAPER than the E7. Fiio has stated this themselves. Hop on over to the portable amp section with the E11 thread. It's shaping to be quite a serious and affordable amp.

thanks for the reply. hmmm...from what ive read the m50s are very easy to drive, so i assumed the m50s would benefit mostly from the e7's dac, and while the amp on the e7 may not be the best it surely has to be better than my ipod? if i got the e11 then i assume i would be using the dac from my desktop pc? i think the good dac and the not the best amp, but better than ipod amp would be a good match for the m50s? is my logic flawed here?

i will def check out the e11 though. do you know if you will be able to use the e7 and the e11 together, like the e7, e9 combo?

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 5
You'll be able to use the E7 and E11 together once Fiio releases the LOD for the E7. They have made considerable steps forward in the redesign. It's just a matter of time. I have a feeling with the coming of the E11, the E7 LOD is gonna become more of a reality.

And yes, I think the E7's dac will be a step up from what you have. I have the M50s in the house, and they pair up quite well with my E7. Not a huge difference when it comes to amping, but the DAC helps the clarity considerably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back