Fiio E7 and E9 combo?
Apr 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Adexus

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, wondering if I could get a little bit of advice here.

I very recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros and a Fiio E9, which then goes into my Astro Mixamp for gaming but I was wondering what a Fiio E7 actually does to the sound and if it's a worthy purchase for me? Does it just allow you to control the treble and bass and what not and does it 'colour' the sound at all? If it allows you to control or enhance the bass then I think I'll buy one because I think the bass on the DT990 could be punchier.

Any advice you could give me would be great, thanks!

Apr 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 15
It seems to me that if you're adjusting the treble and bass, that would constitute "coloring" the sound.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Hey guys, wondering if I could get a little bit of advice here.
I very recently bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros and a Fiio E9, which then goes into my Astro Mixamp for gaming but I was wondering what a Fiio E7 actually does to the sound and if it's a worthy purchase for me? Does it just allow you to control the treble and bass and what not and does it 'colour' the sound at all? If it allows you to control or enhance the bass then I think I'll buy one because I think the bass on the DT990 could be punchier.
Any advice you could give me would be great, thanks!

You can't really use the Fiio E7 with your current setup.
I'm assuming your hooking the Astro mix-amp to the source with digital optical cable.
The Mix-amp takes that digital signal in and (using it's DAC) outputs an analog signal to the E9 (headphone amplifier).
The E7 is DAC and headphone amplifier. you can not hook an digital optical cable to the E7 and the E9 is a better headphone amplifier then the E7.
The mix-amp can process 5.1 Dolby Digital, the E7 is just 2-channel audio.

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 15

Quote:

I'm assuming your hooking the Astro mix-amp to the source with digital optical cable.
The Mix-amp takes that digital signal in and (using it's DAC) outputs an analog signal to the E9 (headphone amplifier).
The E7 is DAC and headphone amplifier. you can not hook an digital optical cable to the E7 and the E9 is a better headphone amplifier then the E7.

I'm using a Coax cable from my Asus Xonar D2X to the Mixamp and with a 3.5mm cable to the E9 Line in, but I use Optical for consoles. I just expected the E7 to add extra options to change the overall sound, but thanks for the clarification!

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Quote:

I'm using a Coax cable from my Asus Xonar D2X to the Mixamp and with a 3.5mm cable to the E9 Line in, but I use Optical for consoles. I just expected the E7 to add extra options to change the overall sound, but thanks for the clarification!

Coaxial or Optical, both really the same digital function.
As one opinion you can try.
On eBay they sell single tube no-name headphone amplifiers for $60 to $120.
It might change the "flavor" of the sound more to your liking.
You can also swap out the tube in under 30 seconds, different model tubes can change the sound in different ways.

Also there is the Little DOT mk1 hybrid tube amplifier for around $140.

May 3, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 15
Re you playing on console or PC...if your on PC get rid of that Mixamp and invest in a better soundcard...I have had both the Titanium HD and the Mixamp and Ti HD is soooo much better, really silly if your using a Mixamp with a PC, for console though there is nothing better! 

And the Fiio E7 is like an external soundcard if you like, so no point connecting it to your Xonar soundcard, will add nothing as the amp in the E9 is better than that in the E7! (owned both of em) 

Good luck mate 

May 3, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #9 of 15
Well I have an Asus Xonar D2X which I've had for years now and I tried using that instead of my Mixamp but I didn't notice much of a difference to be honest and I wasn't keen on the headphone option it has, sounds kind of weird so that's why I just leave it plugged into the Mixamp :) But I think I'll give it another try and see if I notice a difference this time but thanks for your advice man :D

May 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 15
Well I have an Asus Xonar D2X which I've had for years now and I tried using that instead of my Mixamp but I didn't notice much of a difference to be honest and I wasn't keen on the headphone option it has, sounds kind of weird so that's why I just leave it plugged into the Mixamp :) But I think I'll give it another try and see if I notice a difference this time but thanks for your advice man :D

Ahh I see... I think it's time to get a better soundcard, will be allot better for gaming, and 10x better for music compared to the mixamp! , look into the Titanium HD, and if you do get that one swap out the stock opamps for LME49720 there like $5 and amazing improvement in SQ! Don't have to solder just pop out and in etc

Check eBay or FS threads here... definitely sell the mixamp if your jsut using PC and not console though... Go for quite a bit used too so won't have to spend that much extra for a better soundcard

Good luck

May 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #11 of 15
I looked into the Titanium HD a while ago and I do want one so I'll put it on my upgrade list :D And yeah I use the Mixamp for consoles so I'd like to keep it, I'll try altering some settings in the Asus control panel and see if that makes a difference in quality, cheers man!

May 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
I looked into the Titanium HD a while ago and I do want one so I'll put it on my upgrade list :D And yeah I use the Mixamp for consoles so I'd like to keep it, I'll try altering some settings in the Asus control panel and see if that makes a difference in quality, cheers man!

Np mate...oh i see, sorry didnt realise yu used console too!

Keep checking ebay and FS forums around the net, I got a bargain on ebay as the seller typed the name wrong lol...so check various spellings etc and you may get lucky like me :D 

Do remember that opamp though!...cant stress that enough! 

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #15 of 15
I'm still using this combo.
In Windows 10 it says the DAC is capable of 24/96, and that's what it's set to.
In Amazon Music it says that the device is only capable of 24/48 (and that's what it plays 24/96 tracks at).
Not that I expect to hear a difference, but...why the difference?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back