Fiio E7 and ATH M50
Jun 20, 2011 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Aj michigan

New Head-Fier
Hi

I am new to the headphone world, and I am looking to purchase ATH-M50 for my first can.

After reading some reviews, I am thinking about buying an amp to go with my M50.

What do you guys think about Fiio E7, and will it improve the sound for M50 noticeably? 

If not what are some other options for amp that is good and not that expensive.

Thanks in advance. 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Have you tried searching? This came up as the first result on google when I typed m50 e7:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559303/fiio-e7-and-ath-m50#

Edit:
Meant to say this thread
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/542581/m50-s-love-the-fiio-e7-e9

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
Have you tried searching? This came up as the first result on google when I typed m50 e7:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/559303/fiio-e7-and-ath-m50#

Quote:
umm....i think that was my post.....

^ lol that was pretty funny.  That said, I am mildly curious about this question myself as I am also looking at potentially getting an amp/dac for my ATH-M50.  

Jun 21, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 14
You will benefit from the DAC much more than the amp in the E7 when it comes to the M50. If you do most of your music listening on your computer, it will be a worthwhile upgrade.

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #9 of 14
I'll be able to tell you shortly.  I've just ordered an E7 and I have the M50.

My first guess though is that amping won't do much for them since they're already relatively low impedence, but there may be a difference.  I'm looking forward to using it as a DAC for my PC and portable amp for my CK10's

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #10 of 14
I received my E7 yesterday and I can honestly say, listening to the same music with M50s through the E7 is a new journey of discovery!

The DAC+amp is magical, it reveals subtle nuances and details in music that I previously never noticed (I even did analytical listening with some of my music beforehand).

Also, the dynamics have been improved so much now, there is a "naturalness" and "fluidity" in the music out of the M50s that did not exist before the E7s.

Also it adds so much more clarity and instrument/sound separation to all the music relative to before, so even though soundstage of M50s sound untouched, it now sounds like a very CLEAN small stage, instead of a CRAMPED one without the E7 (pardon my horrible attempt at an analogy).

It honestly feels like the feeling when I just got the M50s, listening through my whole music library and just hearing new things popping out of the same music I've heard a thousand times.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 14
I'm using the e11 with my m50's and a lod from my ipod. Soundwise on the 50's it didn't make a huge difference to me. But I also find the m50's to be a little too sterile. But on my esw9's the amp made a huge difference. I'm a little biased though as the m50's just aren't my cup of tea.

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
I'm using the e11 with my m50's and a lod from my ipod. Soundwise on the 50's it didn't make a huge difference to me. But I also find the m50's to be a little too sterile. But on my esw9's the amp made a huge difference. I'm a little biased though as the m50's just aren't my cup of tea.

Maybe it's because the m50s benefit more from DAC than from straight amping without an external DAC?

Aug 29, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #13 of 14
@jerg

Assuming you will keep your E7, you will experience this all over again if you decide on getting an E9 in the future :)

Jun 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #14 of 14
Just got my Fiio E7 today, and plugged it into the ATH M50. Wow, what a monumental difference in the music...going from a computer that doesn't have a sound card to the E7. I listened to the song "Scheme" by STS9, and the music went from sounding shallow and almost superficial to deep and resonating. Specifically, the synth lines were totally changed - I heard lines seemingly revolve around my head (surround sound) where they had previously emanated from the center of my head (in terms of musical perception). 

Excellent combo if your computer doesn't have a very good sound card. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back