Fiio E5 Question
Feb 28, 2010 at 9:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

metril

New Head-Fier
Hi guys. I tried searching for this question but the more I do, the more I get confused.

My Turtle Beach SRM usb soundcard croaked on me. Basically, I'm getting sound, but I'm also getting static. I don't want to rely on the Realtek HD audio onboard sound from my laptop.

Can the Fiio E5 be used as a USB sound device? I'm basically looking for something I can use with my laptop and maybe a portable player without spending a lot.

I want to keep it under $30 or so, but don't know if this is possible. I'm looking forward to the E7, but there's no release date for it yet.\

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 9
The FiiO E5 cannot be used a USB sound device. That is, because it is just an amplifier. It charges via USB, but it isn't a USB DAC.

Feb 28, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 9
If you're in the market for a DAC/AMP, the new fiio E7 might be what you're looking for. it's not exactly teeny tiny like the E5 but it doesn't look overly massive either IMO. plus it also has extra bass boost control with 3 levels. Or simply look into a dedicated DAC, there is one, i cant remember the name at this moment but it's practically only a cable with the goods inbuilt and not a wallet busting price

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 9
You were probably talking about the uDAC? Very good DAC+ decent headphone amp with heaphoneout(obviously) and also RCA &SPdif line out. But no bass boost and cant be use as a portable amp.(but FIIO E7 doesent have a dedicated lineout on its own). USD99 on amazon. Personally i chose uDAC over E7 for its lineout, and also E7 is too big for me to be of any use as a portable amp (its MUCH bigger than the fuze)

Mar 1, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 9
$30 and under is pretty much impossible for an amp/dac unless you get a really good deal or there's a product in the market that I do not know about.

The cheapest is the nuforce icon mobile at $99 since the E7 is not available for purchase yet to my knowledge.

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:26 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$30 and under is pretty much impossible for an amp/dac unless you get a really good deal or there's a product in the market that I do not know about.

The cheapest is the nuforce icon mobile at $99 since the E7 is not available for purchase yet to my knowledge.

In the $30 range:
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro (coming out with a v.2 soon)
Steel Series Siberia
Terratec Dual USB

There are also a few $10 or even $2 options if you sniff around ebay and the like, but those sound *terrible*. They shouldn't even be considered sound cards; you can barely hear sound over all the distortion and static.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back