FiiO E5 needed for RE0?
Nov 24, 2009 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

chengbin

100+ Head-Fier
I'm wondering if there is a need for an amp like the FiiO E5 that I'm looking at. Would it sound better with an amp in my situation?

I'll be receiving my RE0 soon. I'm pairing it with an Archos 5, which has the very dumb EU volume limit, and limited power output to 8.6mW. My old Shure E2c (105dB, 16Ohms) need the volume on half for music and max for movies. I heard the RE0 likes to be amped. Would a FiiO E5 improve this a lot?

For amp owners. Is having an amp inconvenient? The Archos 5 500GB is pretty damn big weighing at 19mm thick.

Are there any other better amps than the E5 for $20 shipped to Canada? I don't want to spend much on the amp, especially when I heard the E5 being a very good amp for the price.

Thanks a lot.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengbin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm wondering if there is a need for an amp like the FiiO E5 that I'm looking at. Would it sound better with an amp in my situation?

I'll be receiving my RE0 soon. I'm pairing it with an Archos 5, which has the very dumb EU volume limit, and limited power output to 8.6mW. My old Shure E2c (105dB, 16Ohms) need the volume on half for music and max for movies. I heard the RE0 likes to be amped. Would a FiiO E5 improve this a lot?

For amp owners. Is having an amp inconvenient? The Archos 5 500GB is pretty damn big weighing at 19mm thick.

Are there any other better amps than the E5 for $20 shipped to Canada? I don't want to spend much on the amp, especially when I heard the E5 being a very good amp for the price.

Thanks a lot.

I liked the E5, but I replaced it with the (more expensive) iBasso T4. I have one for sale that I would consider shipping to Canada.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...5-15-a-456696/

Let me know if you're interested.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 26
Thanks, I have someone local that's willing to sell me his E5 that he doesn't need.

I really need a small amp. The more expensive ones are almost as big as my Archos. My Archos fills my entire pocket.

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 26
I have pretty much the same question. How inconvenient is carrying an amp around and charging it? Im looking at buying the RE0 but I don't know how much more work it becomes. I have an old iriver h340 which is as much of a brick as the Archos.

Also since Im using an iriver h340 I assume I can't use the e1. Besides I like having generic earphones I can use everywhere including with my laptop in the office.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #7 of 26
The E5 does add more bottom end, but nothing a bass head would enjoy. Personally, the RE0 doesn't really need it, but it does tighten up the bass a touch and adds more impact, again not a lot but a noticeable difference. I haven't fully tested it yet but, from Joker's impression they muddles the high end, clarity and detail a bit.

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:29 AM Post #8 of 26
I just received my re0 and for my samsung p2 they do not need an amp. It has volume that goes from 1 to 30, and I never have to put it about 17 (generally on 13-14 most of the time and it is more than loud enough). However, need the volume up way higher on my clip.
Gotta say, these sound great for the money. Lots of detail and more than enough bass. I find that some bassy iem's through a veil across the whole frequency spectrum. These only put it in when it is there, and it is tight!

Nov 25, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 26
my understanding was that without an amp the RE0 sounds a bit tinny.
@Joelby But the E1 only accepts digital input doesn't it? Meaning it doesnt understand anything but an ipod.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by pathsny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my understanding was that without an amp the RE0 sounds a bit tinny.
@Joelby But the E1 only accepts digital input doesn't it? Meaning it doesnt understand anything but an ipod.

Tinny? What do you mean? The E5 doesn't add anything to the SQ beside more bass impact. However, most amps other than the E5 will give it more warmth but it won't give too much benefit.

Nov 25, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #12 of 26
With E5, I didn't notice much SQ improvement. Sure the overall volume and base quantity increased, but then why bother lugging the extra stuff around when you can just use EQ on your DAP?
If you really want to use small portable amps, I'd go straight to something more worthwhile like iBasso T3 and not E5.
YMMV

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #13 of 26
A more transparent amp will suit the RE0's best, imo, but they do not need an amp all that much.

Edit: lol, make that a warm, transparent, and bassy amp with good clarity.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:10 AM Post #14 of 26
I dont know about the E5, but my T3 has transformed the RE0 from my X. I'm talking 180 degrees - these were on the verge of being binned because I missed the bass impact I get from my Sonys.

I know - typical Head-Fi 'night and day' BS, right ? Just another iBasso fanboy singing a familiar tune. I have given several Head-Fiers plenty for similarly outrageous claims over the last 10 days or so, and now I get to eat crow. A rather large plate of it, and the b*stards havent even taken the feathers off.

Unlike most here, I don't worship at altar of detail : I want my music to excite me and I don't get too hung up on whether or not my kit ticks the 'audiophile' boxes. Yep, extra bass can get boomy (use the gain settings sparingly ..) and you do lose some detail at the top end, but its immaterial from my POV - I simply didn't enjoy these IEMs before and its a revelation to be able to hear some of what others rave about, without losing the bass I like in much of my music. To listen to Chemical Brothers 'Three Little Birdies Downbeat' on these tonight, from the amp, then compare it to my previous experience with the RE0 its as though someone switched headphones on me. I still prefer the Sonys and my fullsize cans for metal, but material like Leona Lewis 'Spirit' just flows over me.

As I said, feel free to write me off as a basshead fanboy with cloth ears, but it wont diminish my enjoyment one iota. From the basement to the penthouse with nothing more than a cheap little silver box. Happy days.

Nov 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #15 of 26
So when are you going to post your review or ideas with regards to the T3? After all your 100 hour hype and references to various reviewers methods, approaches and your seemingly stoic belief that their views should be applicable to all across the board, it seems strange that you can make such comments as above.

I am glad you seem to be enjoying your latest purchase, but further explanation of your thoughts and views in the relevant thread/s would be of benefit to potential portable amp buyers and existing users. I agree with your views on fanboyism, but anyone with the slightest modicum of common sense should be able to sort the chaff from the grain when reading through the various posts.

Happy listening and happy typing
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back