Fiio E5 killing soundstage?
Feb 7, 2009 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

KrypticMind

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe something is wrong with my E5, but it seems to kill soundstage. I was playing some Counter-Strike, and while using the E5, I COULD NOT tell where sounds were coming from. I know the A700, A900, and DT770/80 Pro don't have that bad of a soundstage. I then tried it without the E5, and the soundstage was back. I could once again pinpoint where sounds were coming from. Does anyone else find that their E5 destroys soundstage?

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #2 of 13
I havent got an E5; but you are not the first person to complain of this problem

Feb 7, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadhanaputra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From this I conclude that the E5 increases the width of the soundstage, but decreases the accuracy?

I dont find it decreases the accuracy infact some of the micro detail is increased , using the bass boost alot at the moment its seriously fun with the cowon d2 . maybe this soundstage issue is synergy issue with different cans and sources?

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #7 of 13
Just wanted to give this a thread a bump for more feedback.

I plan on getting this amp for my AD700's... the AV-710 mod doesn't drive the AD700's good enough. However, losing sound stage would really suck since I primarily game.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #10 of 13
BB is the Base Boost mode on the E5

I just got an E5 and should be shipping soon, Can anyone test the difference in sound stage when BB is on vs off ????

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #11 of 13
If you could test that with another headphone. That might be true in this case.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #13 of 13
I've listened to binaural recordings with the E5 and positioning is as accurate as ever.

I think your E5 is broken somehow, or you are imagining things.

Edit:
I just listened to the Virtual Barbershop through my E5 just to make sure (this is probably the most well-known binaural clip ever). The positioning is so accurate it's amazing. And I find no degradation due to the E5 in this regard whatsoever. I therefore find it very difficult to believe that the "soundstage" in CS (if you by that mean the ability to pinpoint sounds) could be affected by a functioning E5. It's really far-fetched, but your headphones could have ridiculously low impedance so that they distort a lot with the E5, and that in turn makes the sound even worse than what your sound card can provide (I higly doubt this...).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back