fiio E5 impressions (D1001 and AD700) [Summary: Ew]
Apr 1, 2009 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nullstring

Headphoneus Supremus
I got my fiio E5 yesterday and have tried it with my AD700 and D1001.

Here are a few premature impressions. (which is prolly all you're going to get)

Firstly, with the D1001, the sound is virtually unchanged. If someone had snuck into my room and added the fiio to my setup, I probably wouldn't notice. I haven't really done extensive listening with this setup though. I doubt any change done is postive...

Now, with the AD700, the change is rather drastic.. but not in a good way.
All it seems to do is make the music muddy and bloated. It seems to suck the detail right out of the AD700. How anyone could ever recommend the AD700 and the Fiio are beyond me.
The bass has more quantity.. but not quality.
The AD700 was previously bass anemic. But I feel that I preferred it that way... The bass boost just takes this further

If you like the sound of the E5 + AD700.. you probably shouldn't have the AD700 in the first place.

The sound is also more fatiguing.

These impressions were made with the X-fi and the stock fiio interconnect.

Is there any real use for this E5? or should I just sell it?

To all those using the Fiio with your AD700 from the beginning: I suggest you go a week (or just 2 or 3 days) without the Fiio and see if you still want to go back to it. I think you need to let your mind burn in order to hear the extra detail that the AD700 provides.

EDIT:
Oh, and I forgot. If you listen to is while it's charging.. there is a horrible hissing noise..

Apr 1, 2009 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 8
I just read rex81's impressions of the fiio and I was blown away by how different our opinions are.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/fii...-hd565-401289/

He is always saying how the RX700 is so geat..
well, the E5 + AD700 really reminded me of the RX700..

He has a interesting sound preference..
Not saying it's a bad thing.. just interesting is all.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #3 of 8
IMHO the Fiios of the world should be limited to IEM's. I have 16 ohm custom IEMs and the Fio gives them a kick but nothing to write home about. There are many better amps but they usually start at 100.00 US so for the money the Fiio E-5 is a good basic starter amp. My personal favorite is the Travagans Colors (59.00 US, last I checked). Clean un-muddied SQ. My Fav in that price range.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 8
I bought it because I heard the AD700's would improve from it..

I plan on building either a CMOY or a starving student over the summer (or both).

Don't really need any right now..
Thanks for the thoughts though.

Apr 3, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #5 of 8
I too have the Colors. I like its silence background and good detail, but it does have a bit bass roll off. For the price, a cmoy is really a better choice unless you don't use line-out at all and really want something small.

[EDIT] Also own the AD700 and E5 as well. Comparing Fuze's LO + E5 + AD700 and Fuze's HO + AD700, I won't say there is any improvement, but neither is there any SQ degradation as well. I guess the difference is really subtle in that combination.

Apr 3, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #7 of 8
I dont use the E5 with my AD700 much but I have to say that I agree with rex81 (at least partially). Won't go as far to say that it sounds "twice as good" but it does make the AD700 sound better (IMO). I don't think the bass with the E5 is bloated at all it sounds more or less the same without the E5 but with just a bit more emphasis. I tried a A900 with the E5 and the difference was much more. I am listening out of a X-Meridian with a better cable.

p.s. My roommate has the HARX700 and the bass on it is muddier than the AD700 with an E5.

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by lixuelai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont use the E5 with my AD700 much but I have to say that I agree with rex81 (at least partially). Won't go as far to say that it sounds "twice as good" but it does make the AD700 sound better (IMO). I don't think the bass with the E5 is bloated at all it sounds more or less the same without the E5 but with just a bit more emphasis. I tried a A900 with the E5 and the difference was much more. I am listening out of a X-Meridian with a better cable.

p.s. My roommate has the HARX700 and the bass on it is muddier than the AD700 with an E5.

you didn't feel all the detail in the AD700 melt away?

the signature of the headphones may improve. It has more bass/mid ranges...
but the detail gets sucked away.. The stage is narrowed...

Essnetially.. all the reasons I like my AD700 are gone.. the D1001 sounds better than the E5 + AD700..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back