FiiO E3 is worth it?
Oct 11, 2012 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ccubeice

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!
I just got my second pair of headphones which are really good (Pioneer SE-M290). I've read that these headphones need amplifying to sound good. I am currently using it on my PC / smartphone. PC has integrated audio (Realtek HD AC97). Works great with both, but I think it could sound better with an amp. So is the FiiO E3 worth getting as an amplifier for my PC and smartphone? I've never had an amplifier before. The reason I was thinking to buy this because it's cheap.

Thanks for your help!

Oct 13, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 6
it will give you 3 things:
1. it will "smooth" the sound
2. it will give you the ability to bass-boost
3. it will take load from the battery (your player would last longer between recharges)... meaning it will also prolong the battery life.

-Eyal

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:20 PM Post #4 of 6
not sure.. depends if you need the hardware bass boost, and if your headphones are not too demanding..

for myself? pc? i wouldn't buy it.. for portable (on the go) maybe..

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #5 of 6
The E3 is not worth getting at all. It muddies up the sound, and you can't disengage the bass boost to compensate either. Not to mention that if you don't unplug it, the battery goes dead. 
I have the SE-M390, and they do not need an amp....my Clip Zip powers them just fine.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Hey guys!
I just got my second pair of headphones which are really good (Pioneer SE-M290). I've read that these headphones need amplifying to sound good. I am currently using it on my PC / smartphone. PC has integrated audio (Realtek HD AC97). Works great with both, but I think it could sound better with an amp. So is the FiiO E3 worth getting as an amplifier for my PC and smartphone? I've never had an amplifier before. The reason I was thinking to buy this because it's cheap.

Thanks for your help!

Agree with above, E3 is not worth it. If you really want to test an amp and have a play around, look at Fiio E5 /E6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back