Fiio E3/E5 vs. Total Airhead
Dec 31, 2008 at 11:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Benaiir

1000+ Head-Fier
These seem to be the cheapest ones on my options. Give me your opinions on each when it comes to driving a Beyerdynamic DT770 Consumer Edition.

What's important to me is the improvement of the sound quality - not the price because I picked them out.

What I want to be answered is many times better each is than the other, or if they're about the same. Also, I'd like to know what genre each amplifier helps out in the most.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #2 of 11
I don't have experience with the Beyer's personally, but I've used the E5 and Cmoy on my Audio Technica ES7's.

The E5 is a good amp for the price, but it's not as good as the Cmoy. I see a lot more definition and a better soundstage in the Cmoy. Of course, the Cmoy is twice (or more) the price of the E5 so it's really up to what level of audio quality and the price you want to pay.

Personally, I would go with the Cmoy, especially on nicer headphones like the Beyers.

Jan 2, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have experience with the Beyer's personally, but I've used the E5 and Cmoy on my Audio Technica ES7's.

The E5 is a good amp for the price, but it's not as good as the Cmoy. I see a lot more definition and a better soundstage in the Cmoy. Of course, the Cmoy is twice (or more) the price of the E5 so it's really up to what level of audio quality and the price you want to pay.

Personally, I would go with the Cmoy, especially on nicer headphones like the Beyers.

Really? People say the E3 is better than the cmoy. Also, how good is the total airhead

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 11
Well depend it depends on preference.
The E3 is made to boost bass by 3db and cut treble by 3db, so if you're a big basshead or are into that kind of music, you might prefer the E3/E5 (the E5 allows you to turn that off though).

Cmoys (again depending on your opamp choice and build), is pretty much straight flat gain on all levels.

air/bitheads also give straight gain but adds crossfeed, for like twice the money.

Jan 2, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by polaris2k3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well depend it depends on preference.
The E3 is made to boost bass by 3db and cut treble by 3db, so if you're a big basshead or are into that kind of music, you might prefer the E3/E5 (the E5 allows you to turn that off though).

Cmoys (again depending on your opamp choice and build), is pretty much straight flat gain on all levels.

air/bitheads also give straight gain but adds crossfeed, for like twice the money.

So the airhead sucks for the money?

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Benaiir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the airhead sucks for the money?

It depends on whether you value crossfeed or not, really.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by psyllium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on whether you value crossfeed or not, really.

To me crossfeed = make my music mono, I like the separation that headphones present it's one of things that can make headphones a step above home stereo's given the right synergy.

I'm into 60's psych and even when vocal and instruments are panned to one side or the other it doesn't bother me.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #9 of 11
There can be a fairly significant difference in CMoys depending on the opamps, gain setting, power config, etc. I think simply saying that E3>Cmoy is oversimplifying, and I also think that if we're talking about a well-made CMoy that mates with the rest of the system, a good number of people would probably disagree.

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 11
People underestimate how good an airhead really is. If I had to cut back to a portable amp, an airhead/bithead would be on my shortlist, along with the mini^3 and the discontinued XP amp

And from my experience, an airhead/bithead sounds much better then a cmoy :p

Jan 7, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People underestimate how good an airhead really is. If I had to cut back to a portable amp, an airhead/bithead would be on my shortlist, along with the mini^3 and the discontinued XP amp

And from my experience, an airhead/bithead sounds much better then a cmoy :p

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back