FiiO E18 Review
Dec 17, 2014 at 4:43 AM Post #332 of 449
Thanks!
Think I'll be getting one then..

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #334 of 449
  I bought one,2 weeks ago, and i'm really enjoying it, i just can't get my Samsung Galaxy S3 to recognize it, but i think it's due to android 4.4.4 and cyanogenmod

What player software are you using?

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #336 of 449
I'm not sure I understand what's happening. You say the buttons work but you're getting no sound? Have you connected it up correctly?

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #338 of 449
Yes, the connector does need quite some force to insert into the E18, don't know if this is normal with the Fii0 cables, but it's like the small things which keeps the cable in place, holds it way to tight, When i connect the E18 to my phone, it pops up with the volume control, and i can control the play/pause etc. but i just get no sound, it works fine with a PC as a DAC, i'm just not using the USB cable that came with it, due to the tightness, but it also works with the included cable on a PC. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #339 of 449
  I bought one,2 weeks ago, and i'm really enjoying it, i just can't get my Samsung Galaxy S3 to recognize it, but i think it's due to android 4.4.4 and cyanogenmod

I used to own a Galaxy S3 (USA version) and it worked with the stock android and E18. Perhaps there's an issue with the cyanogenmod distribution that you installed.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #341 of 449
Has anyone compared the E18 with fiio x5 or dx90?
If so...thoughts?

Dec 29, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #343 of 449
Your assessment of the sound quality concurs with my own, but it was because the impracticality of the device for the “smartphone user on the move” that I eventually gave up on mine.

1.     The USB to USB connectors are a cheap construction and the cable protrudes from the bottom, making a loop that adds more than an inch to the depth of pocket needed for it. Given the price, FiiO could easily have sourced and bundled some good quality interconnects that ran the cable to the side or front of the connector, to better suit coupling.

2.     If you're on the move, you really want to attach the E18 to the smartphone, or risk the cable damaging being pulled, damaging the USB socket. FiiO's solution is a pair of very wide rubber bands that run across the touch screen of the smartphone. They make the phone all but impossible to access for phone calls or anything else while it is attached. Even a set of tiny double-facing suction caps would be better.

3.     The little rubber pads that go between the metal E18 and the "mostly plastic" mobile phone case, before applying the wide rubber straps, did not last the fortnight; they just left a black deposit on the surfaces. Not much protection for your expensive smartphone case there.

4.     When you contact FiiO, they make all kinds of "concern for customers" sounds but do nothing. I look from time to time in the hope that they might have fixed a few of the obvious problems which make the product unsuited to my kind of consumer but they haven't bothered.

As I said about a year, and a smartphone, ago, it’s a great sounding product but utterly impractical, uses poor quality interconnect cable and renders your smartphone unusable unless you remove the rubber bands that run across its screen.

My Samsung Note 4 will take a 128GB microSDXC card, which I can load with FLACs etc, but what is the point if all it offers is a horrible-sounding Qualcomm DAC? I was hoping FiiO might now offer a suitable solution but apparently not.

Dec 29, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #344 of 449
  Your assessment of the sound quality concurs with my own, but it was because the impracticality of the device for the “smartphone user on the move” that I eventually gave up on mine.

1.     The USB to USB connectors are a cheap construction and the cable protrudes from the bottom, making a loop that adds more than an inch to the depth of pocket needed for it. Given the price, FiiO could easily have sourced and bundled some good quality interconnects that ran the cable to the side or front of the connector, to better suit coupling.

2.     If you're on the move, you really want to attach the E18 to the smartphone, or risk the cable damaging being pulled, damaging the USB socket. FiiO's solution is a pair of very wide rubber bands that run across the touch screen of the smartphone. They make the phone all but impossible to access for phone calls or anything else while it is attached. Even a set of tiny double-facing suction caps would be better.

3.     The little rubber pads that go between the metal E18 and the "mostly plastic" mobile phone case, before applying the wide rubber straps, did not last the fortnight; they just left a black deposit on the surfaces. Not much protection for your expensive smartphone case there.

4.     When you contact FiiO, they make all kinds of "concern for customers" sounds but do nothing. I look from time to time in the hope that they might have fixed a few of the obvious problems which make the product unsuited to my kind of consumer but they haven't bothered.

As I said about a year, and a smartphone, ago, it’s a great sounding product but utterly impractical, uses poor quality interconnect cable and renders your smartphone unusable unless you remove the rubber bands that run across its screen.

My Samsung Note 4 will take a 128GB microSDXC card, which I can load with FLACs etc, but what is the point if all it offers is a horrible-sounding Qualcomm DAC? I was hoping FiiO might now offer a suitable solution but apparently not.

Yes the rubber feet are useless and the cable might be fragile (but mine didn't go bad). I ended up getting an OTG cable with a 90 degree connector at the phone. I got the cable on Amazon and it was inexpensive. I also got some rubber feet made by 3M, they are holding up well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back