Fiio E17K vs E18
Sep 10, 2016 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vampire666

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there!
I would like to buy a DAC and can0t yet decide between the E17k Alpen 2 and the E18.
I would use it most of the time connected to my notebook (which has pretty much awful audio quality) and to be connected to my Android 5.1 Lollipop smartphone (Cubot P12), but mainly to my pc.
Which should I chose?
I know the E18 bigger a battery, is certified for Android while the E17k might not work, the E18 has also physical buttons to play/pause, forward/rewind the song (but doesn't have EQ or display which the E17k have), but which of the two devices "sound better" as DAC?

Thank you.

Sep 11, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 15
Consider that the E17k I can get for 119€ while the E18 for 169€

Sep 11, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #3 of 15
  Hi there!
I would like to buy a DAC and can0t yet decide between the E17k Alpen 2 and the E18.
I would use it most of the time connected to my notebook (which has pretty much awful audio quality) and to be connected to my Android 5.1 Lollipop smartphone (Cubot P12), but mainly to my pc.
Which should I chose?
I know the E18 bigger a battery, is certified for Android while the E17k might not work, the E18 has also physical buttons to play/pause, forward/rewind the song (but doesn't have EQ or display which the E17k have), but which of the two devices "sound better" as DAC?

Thank you.

Both should work very well. If you can go a bit higher you can get the FiiO X3II which is a great DAP and can be used as a USB DAC/AMP just like E17K and E18

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the suggestion, the FiiO X3II is a very interesting device, but I was looking at something that had the possibility of working with android phones, not to mention that I would have to spend even more of what I intended to...but I will keep that option in mind.

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 15
Most of the times FiiOs like the Q1, E17K and E18 work fine with android phones able to send audio through USB.
You'll need a USB OTG cable and sometimes a particular app like HibyMusic. There's a huge variety of phones and android versions so it's really hard to asure it will work in your case.
These are all high quality products. In my experience, the Q1 is slightly smoother while the E17K is a bit more detailed, but both are great in terms of SQ.
I would pick the E18 only if you prefer its form factor. I wouldn't expect it to sound much better than E17K or Q1, and it's more expensive normally.

In other words, pick the one that fits your preferences best. Sound quality is great in all of them.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the replies  Me x3, I decided to get the E17K :)
Now I just have to find a micro usb to micro usb male, I can't find it anywhere.

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #8 of 15
Even if I'll find out that the e17k won't work with my Android I will still used it attached to my notebook most of the times, so no problem.

Thanks for your reply TehDoge.

Sep 12, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #9 of 15
  Even if I'll find out that the e17k won't work with my Android I will still used it attached to my notebook most of the times, so no problem.

Thanks for your reply TehDoge.

Maybe you can use an OTG cable going from micro-USB to female full-size USB and then a regular USB cable. I think it should work.
On top of that, you can always use the E17K as a portable amplifier for the smartphone using 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #11 of 15

Maybe you can use an OTG cable going from micro-USB to female full-size USB and then a regular USB cable. I think it should work.
On top of that, you can always use the E17K as a portable amplifier for the smartphone using 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will try that!

I see what you mean, found one easy on Amzon.com, .it not so much.

Just found one on ebay, but comes from China so delivery is going to be slooooow (generally one month or so).
I ordered one, but in the meanshile I will try Me x3's suggestion.

Sep 15, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 15
Just wanted to update the thread saying that my new FiiO E17k arrived today and it works fine with my cheap Android phone: the Cubot P12!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 15
I didn't notice any significant battery drainage, but I0m using the device connected to the pc most of the time.
I have to test it a little bit more (didn't have much time).

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #15 of 15
Hi

Does she work connected from the usb3 port ?I have an akjr and the dac does not support usb3 connect :/ As i have destroyed the headphone out port on my laptop I need a good cheap dac to replace but I have an expensive gaming laptop it only has usb3 ports :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back