Fiio E17K install problem on Windows 7, only getting 16bit.
Mar 11, 2015 at 8:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

vomer

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just moved up from my trusty E07 to a new E17K Alpen 2. But it's telling me it's only providing 16bit. On plugging it into my laptop via USB it loaded drivers via Windows Update. In Device Manager the driver name shows up as "Fiio USB DAC E17K", but the details tell me that is is a Microsoft generic USB driver from 2013, version 6.1.7601.18208. In Control Panel - Sound - Playback, and in Foobar, it's listed as 'SPDIF device'.

The manual says if Device Manager gives the name as 'USB device', to uninstall and re-install. I tried this, no change.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

Mar 12, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 2
Think I have it sorted. Someone on the Fiio forum didn't have any luck with what I'm about to describe so I hadn't tried it. When I did, it worked. The device now switches on and says '48K 16bit', whether plugged into the laptop or not. But as soon as a sound source is played (Foobar, YouTube), the display switches to '96K 24bit'.

The route I tried, and there may be a quicker way, is:
Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Fiio USB DAC E17K > right click > Sound Settings > Playback > SPDIF Interface Fiio USB DAC E17K > Properties > Advanced > 2 channel, 16 bit, 96000Hz (Studio Quality) > Test. Apply, etc.

And it sounds great.

Happy listening,

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back