Fiio e17 vs 2012 Macbook Pro?
Oct 21, 2012 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dooodstevenn

Head-Fier
Just got a 2012 macbook pro and was wondering if the e17 made a difference in SQ or if the MBP was better than the e17 or vice versa.  I found one thread on it, but at the time no one really answered the question so im hoping to get a definite answer.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
Just got a 2012 Macbook Pro and was wondering if the E17 made a difference in SQ or if the MBP was better than the E17 or vice versa.  I found one thread on it, but at the time no one really answered the question so I'm hoping to get a definite answer.

I'm far from a Mac expert (last time I used an Apple product was 1980, Apple IIe?).
But chances are the Fiio E17 comes with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and headphone amplifier then the Macbook Pro.
How much better? good question.......

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:
I'm far from a Mac expert (last time I used an Apple product was 1980, Apple IIe?).
But chances are the Fiio E17 comes with a better DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) and headphone amplifier then the Macbook Pro.
How much better? good question.......

Im trying it out right now, and as far as i can hear, *flame suits on!* the MBP sounds better.  Im playing lossless through song bird with a flat eq, compared to the e17 with 0 bass and 0 treble boost.  The e17 sounds veiled while the mac sounds like the e17 if i boost treble, bass is the same to me.  

EDIT: I lied, sounds pretty much the same to me.

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Im trying it out right now, and as far as i can hear, *flame suits on!* the MBP sounds better.  Im playing lossless through song bird with a flat eq, compared to the e17 with 0 bass and 0 treble boost.  The e17 sounds veiled while the mac sounds like the e17 if i boost treble, bass is the same to me.  

EDIT: I lied, sounds pretty much the same to me.

Which digital outputs on the MBP are you using to connect to the E17?

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
I'm assuming the Macbook Pro does not come with S/PDIF Toslink optical output?

I believe it does have a SPDIF apple website is not too specific on that, and when i look it up there's a spot under Intel HD Audio that says SPDIF optical digital audio output, and when i click it it says its a combination input, so im guessing the audio out i have will automatically switch between SPDIF and regular analog

Also after more testing, i would give the edge to the e17.  Vocals seem to have a more prominent "presence" if that makes any sense.  But just a little, nothing I could not EQ from the mac's DAC

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:15 AM Post #8 of 14
It's hard to tell without any sort of double blind tests, and even then the differences will be very little. I do own the E17 myself. It's a very nice amp/ dac because it is so versatile and looks badass. And I don't have a great soundcard so I needed a DAC of the E17... and needed a decent amp as well. 

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:26 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
It's hard to tell without any sort of double blind tests, and even then the differences will be very little. I do own the E17 myself. It's a very nice amp/ dac because it is so versatile and looks badass. And I don't have a great soundcard so I needed a DAC of the E17... and needed a decent amp as well. 

I completely agree about the double blind test and that audio is very subjective differs from each individual.  As of now, it seems like i'll be sending the e17 back, especially since apple took all my money :frowning2: 

Oct 21, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
I completely agree about the double blind test and that audio is very subjective differs from each individual.  As of now, it seems like i'll be sending the e17 back, especially since apple took all my money :frowning2: 

i think that would be a good choice, since it looks like you don't need the amp of the E17 anyways. Use the money for something else :) 

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 14
Anybody know if the Macbook Air has the same headphone amp as the Pro?

Feb 11, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #14 of 14
Well since I actually tested it out with my GF macbook pro. I'd like to shed some light on this, when I first found out there is optical on the Macbook pro I was pleasantly surprised! 

Anyways, while listening on Mog, I heard static coming from straight into the jack with the Eph-100. Nothing dramatic, just a slight little hum that wouldn't really bother majority of people who listen to music for background music. When I plugged the E17 in (not sure if it was optical or usb) I was pleasantly surprised all the noise hiss was...gone! So yea I believe it definitely made a difference in that department! 

Snip* 

Had to delete my little rant because I'm a bit embarrassed this is an old thread haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back