Fiio E17 for Sennheiser Momentum and laptop listening?
Dec 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AdamskaPrice

New Head-Fier
I've been interested in investing on the Fiio E17 for awhile now. It's a DAC/amp and it's portable. It perfectly suits my needs, but I have no idea how this thing works. I'm pretty new to the higher-end side of audio, so I'm not sure what to do with this thing once I buy it. Can anyone explain or give me a link to guide on how to set this thing up for a laptop? A friend of mine, who happens to be quite an audiophile, recommended me this product awhile back since I have no intention to buy an external DAC and amp. I guess you can say I'm a travelling listener. I rarely stay at home and I'm always on the move, so I thought that this product would improve my nights of unwinding from work by listening to music.

I owned a Fiio E11 before, but that was before I had the Momentum's. I used to drive it with my Sennheiser PX-200-II and they sounded great with it. Too bad my I couldn't have my third pair replaced due to physical damage. That's right, I replaced the 200-II's 2 times. In one year. I treated my former 200-II's with great care, but they just seemed to deteriorate over time. 1st return was because of disappearing sound from one driver, 2nd was that the volume control caused hissing whenever it was adjusted, and the third was because the hinge on the right came off.

Makes me question Sennheiser quality, but I think I just got bad luck. I did get great customer service, having two replacements within a 4-month margin, so I still patronize Sennheiser. Anyways, part of the reason why I want the E17 is because my Momentum's sound really weak on my laptop and Samsung Galaxy S-II. I was planning on using the E17 like a USB DAC setup for my laptop and a portable amp for my SG2. I do have an Apple device, (iPod Touch 4g) and was planning to get a LOD cable for it, but I'm not sure if it will sound better than my phone with Voodoo and amped with the E17. Can anyone clarify on this?

A final question, does the Momentum even benefit from the E17 sound-wise? These headphones are really easy to drive from what I heard, but does a DAC essentially improve its sound quality? Assuming the DAC is an E17 of course.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 4
connect your E17 to your computer, select the E17 soundcard under the "playback devices" i think. Although im not sure about that since i use foobar and i select what DAC is running in foobar itself.

all devices have dac chip in it, if one device doesn't have a dac chip, no sound will come out. will the E17 will sound better against which device? if from your laptop, it will have a noticeable difference and thats up to you if it will sound "better" or not. same goes when comparing with your other devices.

as for momentum and E17 synergy, i cant comment on that. sorry!

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
connect your E17 to your computer, select the E17 soundcard under the "playback devices" i think. Although im not sure about that since i use foobar and i select what DAC is running in foobar itself.

all devices have dac chip in it, if one device doesn't have a dac chip, no sound will come out. will the E17 will sound better against which device? if from your laptop, it will have a noticeable difference and thats up to you if it will sound "better" or not. same goes when comparing with your other devices.

as for momentum and E17 synergy, i cant comment on that. sorry!

I use Foobar too! I think I can hook up the E17 to my laptop with a little common sense. A question though, is it better to set the E17 via Windows or through Foobar? 

Thanks!

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 4
if you use foobar, you can set the E17 to run through the output device under preferences i think. i think setting it through windows or foobar is the same, no difference =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back