fiio e17 for ipod
Apr 25, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 23

Quote:

It's only an amp, there's only a couple of devices that can bypass the internal DAC of iDevices.

So now I'm confused.   I purchased both the E17 and the E9 to use with both my iPhone and the MacBook.   So when paired together, they're both solely amplifying the signal?    Thanks for clearing this up.  

skc

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 23

Quote:

So now I'm confused.   I purchased both the E17 and the E9 to use with both my iPhone and the MacBook.   So when paired together, they're both solely amplifying the signal?    Thanks for clearing this up.  

skc

Yes. It will be an amp only for the ipod, but will be a DAC/amp for the macbook.

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #6 of 23
DAC/Amp for mac book only when using USB.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 23
If you place the E17 into the E9, the E17 acts as a DAC, and the E9 as an amp. You plug your headphones into the E9. The volume controls (and bass boost) won't work on the E17.

Also, 3.5mm/6.5mm (1/8 and 1/4 inch) jacks are analog. A USB cable is digital. In order to the the E17 as a DAC, you need to plug it via USB (or the E9 via USB if the E17 is docked on it).

There's no way to use the E17 as a DAC via USB with iPods/iPhones because Apple requires a decoding chip inside the device. Only a handful of portable devices have it, the E17 does not.

Apr 25, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
If you place the E17 into the E9, the E17 acts as a DAC, and the E9 as an amp. You plug your headphones into the E9. The volume controls (and bass boost) won't work on the E17.
Also, 3.5mm/6.5mm (1/8 and 1/4 inch) jacks are analog. A USB cable is digital. In order to the the E17 as a DAC, you need to plug it via USB (or the E9 via USB if the E17 is docked on it).
There's no way to use the E17 as a DAC via USB with iPods/iPhones because Apple requires a decoding chip inside the device. Only a handful of portable devices have it, the E17 does not.

Okay, thanks for clearing much of this up for me.   I somehow thought that the FiiO LOD connector would allow me to use the E17 as a DAC with the iPhone.   I also just purchased an E7 for very little of the B/S forum so that I can use one at work.  

So what is the best way to obtain the best sound here with my growing collection of FiiO products?   Am I correct to assume:

1.   That the E9 with the iPhone docked and headphones connected will sound just as good  (or better) than the E17?? 
2    That the E17 docked into the E9 will offer up the best sound quality connected to my MacBook or my windows based PC and laptop? 
3.   That the E7 and the E17 will sound similar connected to my iPhone since both are simply amplifying the signal?  

Thanks again.   Today I watch some YouTube tutorials on these various products
L3000.gif

skc

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 23
1) You can't dock the iPhone onto the E9. The dock connector is compatible with the E7/E17 only. Use the LOD to connect the iPhone to the E9 (line in). It will probably sound about the same as the E17 + E9.
2) It will sound pretty good.
3) Yes.

Btw, what headphones are you using? Maybe you don't need the E9 at all.

Edit: the E9i has a dock connector for iPods/iPhones.

Apr 25, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #11 of 23

Quote:
1) You can't dock the iPhone onto the E9. The dock connector is compatible with the E7/E17 only. Use the LOD to connect the iPhone to the E9 (line in). It will probably sound about the same as the E17 + E9.
2) It will sound pretty good.
3) Yes.
Btw, what headphones are you using? Maybe you don't need the E9 at all.
Edit: the E9i has a dock connector for iPods/iPhones.

Okay, thanks.   I appreciate your patience with my newbie questions.  

So far I've purchased the newly discontinued Denon AH-NC800 phones.   And I think I'll be getting a pair of Beyer DT1350s.    After that I'd like something a little more high end for home/computer use or with one of my tube amps.  

I've asked this question elsewhere, but I've gotten no answers thus far.    Do certain phone work better with the FiiO products?    If so, that might encourage me to pick up another pair or two. 

skc

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:

A minor correction, if I may; the e17 has a feature that allows sound processing to pass to the e9.  If you look at the right edge of the e17 you'll see a toggle thing, toggle down to pass thru signal at line level to the e9 (thus disabling e17's digital volume, treble/bass control, l/r channel balance, ect) or switch it up to preserve these settings/ability.  the analog volume control of the e9's knob will still work as expect in terms of volume control only from the front headphone jacks (the line out in the back is not affected by the e9's analog volume pot, but may be affected by the e17 if the stitch is in the 'up' position.

the older e7 has no such feature.

in terms of sound quality, I think Skamp is on the right track for the cans you have.  That being said, having more amplification is never a *bad* thing.  At this point in the game, I just use my e9 as a line out for my e17 to my amps.  Fiio does sell a dock connector jack that allows you to get a line level signal from the e7/e17.  There's always a converstation to be had between using a device at (in this case e7/e17) line level or internally amplified output.  I've used both and decided for *ME* line level from the e17 is best for now.

Apr 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #15 of 23
thought i would be using the wolfson soundcard in my e17 even when i use it for my ipod, now i know im using the cirrus soundcard in my ipod instead, is my ipod soundcard supposed to be inferior?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back