FiiO E17 DAC better than iPhone DAC?
Mar 15, 2013 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

desiknow

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

Is the DAC/Amp in the E17 better than the iPhone guts, specifically the 4s and 5?

I know no one seems to have tried it with a 5 but I am pretty sure it will work, if not I will use my Classic as my new music player.
You can recommend DAC/Amp combos but I need to stay in the $150 range to $600+ mobile DACs for me, at least not yet.

Thanks!

Peace,
Desi

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 8
popcorn.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Yes, the E17 will blow the stock DAC away. But no, it will not work with iDevices. Not iPhone 4, not iPhone 5, not iPhone classic. You can use it as an amp, but not a DAC. Only devices that Apple authenticated and installed an authentication chip into will work. The cheapest DAC I know of that works with iPhone is the HRT iStreamer, $200 and no amp, just a DAC.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 8
Does anyone know if the authentication chip is more of a "handshake" or is there decoding going on before hitting the DAC?
Just wondering why sooo may devices work (ie. crappy car stereos, alarm clocks, etc) but not some of these portable DACs.
Is it a licencing issue is Apple?

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 8
The cerifixation is a handshake between the ios and the other device, most dac werent designed to play directly with iphone, hence they feel that there is no need to pay money to apple

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Nothing wrong with the DAC in the iPhone 4. I can't tell a difference between using my E17 as a dac and amp with my laptop, or just as an amp with an LOD cable with my iPhone 4. 

Mar 16, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
So I could get away with just getting a portable amp?
Sound good.

What is recommended in the less that $200?

C&C BH, $100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back