Fiio e17 Can Pair With which AMP.
Nov 30, 2013 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

youngguitar

New Head-Fier
Hi i know that the e17 can be pair with the e09 then the 17 will become DAC and e09 will become AMP. But can the e17 be pair with other AMP like schiit magni ... etc.. If yes please give me some instruction.

Also between the amp and dac which is more important. I have the HD650. for example if my budget is 250usd how much should i spend for AMP and how much for DAC.

I am purchasing my first AMP and DAC. I got the fiio e17 for 89usd on black friday. However I will return it if there is better option. I am looking to spend around 100-200usd for now which amp or dac should i get for future upgrade. I heard some people get 17 for now then later get the fiio 09. or some people get audiengine d1 and later use it as an DAC and connect it to some other AMP....

My set up will be :
1. Laptop -> dac, amp -> HD650
2. (optional) Galaxy s4 ->dac, amp ->hd650.
Thank you for your answer.

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:01 AM Post #2 of 10
  Hi i know that the e17 can be pair with the e09 then the 17 will become DAC and e09 will become AMP. But can the e17 be pair with other AMP like schiit magni ... etc.. If yes please give me some instruction.

Also between the amp and dac which is more important. I have the HD650. for example if my budget is 250usd how much should i spend for AMP and how much for DAC.

I am purchasing my first AMP and DAC. I got the fiio e17 for 89usd on black friday. However I will return it if there is better option. I am looking to spend around 100-200usd for now which amp or dac should i get for future upgrade. I heard some people get 17 for now then later get the fiio 09. or some people get audiengine d1 and later use it as an DAC and connect it to some other AMP....

My set up will be :
1. Laptop -> dac, amp -> HD650
2. (optional) Galaxy s4 ->dac, amp ->hd650.
Thank you for your answer.

Hello,

You can purchase a FiiO L7 for your E17. It allows you to use the E17/E07K as a standalone DAC and bypass its internal amp so that you can pair it with another external amp. For some amp, you many need RCA connections.

As for what amp, there is the new Schiit Vali that is worth looking into!

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #3 of 10
Hello,

You can purchase a FiiO L7 for your E17. It allows you to use the E17/E07K as a standalone DAC and bypass its internal amp so that you can pair it with another external amp. For some amp, you many need RCA connections.

As for what amp, there is the new Schiit Vali that is worth looking into!

Hi I am not quite understand.so I have to get the L07 and E07 then connect e17 to e7 using the L7??? can you please give me some hint. Thanks u

Dec 1, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi I am not quite understand.so I have to get the L07 and E07 then connect e17 to e7 using the L7??? can you please give me some hint. Thanks u

No no no! xD

Psi nice you already have the E17, you can get the L7. L7 allows you to use the E17 as DAC and bypass the E17 so that you can use another external amp. Since you have a pair of HD650, maybe the Schiit audio products will do for stationary use. However, you may need RCA to connect to those kind of amp. Otherwise, there is the O2 (No RCA needed) which may suit your need as well

Hope it explains
Billson :)

Dec 1, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 10
No no no! xD

Psi nice you already have the E17, you can get the L7. L7 allows you to use the E17 as DAC and bypass the E17 so that you can use another external amp. Since you have a pair of HD650, maybe the Schiit audio products will do for stationary use. However, you may need RCA to connect to those kind of amp. Otherwise, there is the O2 (No RCA needed) which may suit your need as well

Hope it explains
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

thank you

:) It is clear now. Do u have any advise for spliting budget between dac and amp. how many percent should i spend on DAC and AMP. I am thinking will spend 30-35% on DAC and 70-75% money on AMP. do you think it is a good ratio.

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 10

thank you

:) It is clear now. Do u have any advise for spliting budget between dac and amp. how many percent should i spend on DAC and AMP. I am thinking will spend 30-35% on DAC and 70-75% money on AMP. do you think it is a good ratio.

Maybe 50%-50%? If you are planning to return your E17, you can go for the Schiit Magni and Modi combo but I personally like the E07K's DAC [which is the same as E17's] and I find it great except for a little bit of roll off at the top end. If you wish to keep the E17 and use it as your desktop DAC, you can go for the O2/Schiit Vali which I thought it will be a better combo :)

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 10
  Maybe 50%-50%? If you are planning to return your E17, you can go for the Schiit Magni and Modi combo but I personally like the E07K's DAC [which is the same as E17's] and I find it great except for a little bit of roll off at the top end. If you wish to keep the E17 and use it as your desktop DAC, you can go for the O2/Schiit Vali which I thought it will be a better combo :)

hi 
I already ordered the Fiio e17 for 88usd new condition and it is on the way also i cannot return it since there is no free return at adorama.com
I also bought the dragonfly for 99usd+tax yesterday at bestbuy this i can return easily. 

So should i keep the Fiio e17 and return the dragonfly or keep the dragonfly and resell or cancel the fiio e17. Or should i just get the Schiit Magni for now then later on get the Modi or should i get Modi for now and later on get the Magni or should I get both at a time . 
I also think of keep the e17 for now and get the e09k later on but i head the magni modi sounds better. 
Or should i keep the dragon fly/e17 and buy the magni and connect dragonfly/e17 to magni (i dont know if it is possible or not)

Lol it is so confused. what do you think is the best option?

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 10
The FiiO E17 supports higher resolution sound, 192K/24. Additionally, the FiiO E17 support both line out for standalone amp and USB in for DAC/amp. FiiO E17 also have a built into battery which is suitable for portable use. Schiit Magni and Modi is purely, a desktop amp/DAC combo.

In short, if I were you, I will give up Dragonfly and you have two choice:
If you plan on getting this for portable use as well: FiiO E17 and in the future, you can get the O2
For FULLY desktop use: Schiit Magni + Modi
For best of both world: FiiO E17 + L7 + E12? But given you are planning to use the HD650, I doubt you will be using it for portable use? If that is, you can go for Schiit combo.

Billson :)

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:47 PM Post #9 of 10
The FiiO E17 supports higher resolution sound, 192K/24. Additionally, the FiiO E17 support both line out for standalone amp and USB in for DAC/amp. FiiO E17 also have a built into battery which is suitable for portable use. Schiit Magni and Modi is purely, a desktop amp/DAC combo.

In short, if I were you, I will give up Dragonfly and you have two choice:
If you plan on getting this for portable use as well: FiiO E17 and in the future, you can get the O2
For FULLY desktop use: Schiit Magni + Modi
For best of both world: FiiO E17 + L7 + E12? But given you are planning to use the HD650, I doubt you will be using it for portable use? If that is, you can go for Schiit combo.

Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks you for all your help. I will return the Dragonfly and keep the fiio e17 and use it with the hd650 for now. (i got hd650 for 272 +tax) and e17 for 88usd) 
I keep the e17 even though i heard dragonfly is better choose since i think i will have an easy time selling fiio e17 later when i am ready to spend 200$ for magni and modi. 

I wish i can cancel the fiio e17 from adorama  and just get the used magni+modi+somecable for around 160-180usd but the e17is  already shipped :frowning2:.

Lesson learn : never buy anything that dont offer free return and having restocking fee.

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 10
thanks you for all your help. I will return the Dragonfly and keep the fiio e17 and use it with the hd650 for now. (i got hd650 for 272 +tax) and e17 for 88usd) 
I keep the e17 even though i heard dragonfly is better choose since i think i will have an easy time selling fiio e17 later when i am ready to spend 200$ for magni and modi. 

I wish i can cancel the fiio e17 from adorama  and just get the used magni+modi+somecable for around 160-180usd but the e17is  already shipped :frowning2:.

Lesson learn : never buy anything that dont offer free return and having restocking fee.

Haha... No problem! Enjoy your listening :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back