Fiio e17 and ipod compatibility
Sep 24, 2012 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Chawanwit

100+ Head-Fier
Really need some advice on fiio e17. Will it be able to work on my ipod touch first generation? Do I have to buy the LOD number something to use with it and what is a LOD? 

Thanks

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:
Really need some advice on fiio e17. Will it be able to work on my ipod touch first generation? Do I have to buy the LOD number something to use with it and what is a LOD? 

Thanks

Firstly, an LOD is a "line out dock" which, simply put, gives a fixed voltage output avoiding the iPod's internal amp.

The simple answer to your question is "Yes, it will work". An LOD such as FiiO's own L1 or L3 will plug into the docking socket of your iPod, and the mini-jack into the line-in socket of the E17. If you plug straight from the headphone out to the E17, you will be double-amping.

The not so simple answer is :- it depends what you want it to do. You can't use it as a DAC, only an amp. What headphones are you driving? Do they need to be amped?

Sep 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #3 of 13
Firstly, an LOD is a "line out dock" which, simply put, gives a fixed voltage output avoiding the iPod's internal amp.

The simple answer to your question is "Yes, it will work". An LOD such as FiiO's own L1 or L3 will plug into the docking socket of your iPod, and the mini-jack into the line-in socket of the E17. If you plug straight from the headphone out to the E17, you will be double-amping.

The not so simple answer is :- it depends what you want it to do. You can't use it as a DAC, only an amp. What headphones are you driving? Do they need to be amped?

I will be using the he-400 with it. Maybe a little of Shure se210 and audio technica em9r sometimes but rarely.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:
I will be using the he-400 with it. Maybe a little of Shure se210 and audio technica em9r sometimes but rarely.
Thanks

I believe the HE-400's respond well to amping (although I haven't heard/used them myself).

Are you going to be using the E17 for anything else? If not, then the DAC will be going to waste and you may be better off looking at a dedicated portable amp?

Sep 24, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 13
I believe the HE-400's respond well to amping (although I haven't heard/used them myself).

Are you going to be using the E17 for anything else? If not, then the DAC will be going to waste and you may be better off looking at a dedicated portable amp?

Mostly iPod but I might use it with my MacBook Pro sometimes and rarely my desktop PC.

Thanks

Sep 24, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Mostly iPod but I might use it with my MacBook Pro sometimes and rarely my desktop PC.
Thanks

If you're also using it out of a computer, then I guess it's worthwhile.

I use the "old" E7 and E9 combination on my desktop and think it's great value. I'm sure others can also recommend similar portable DAC/amps or amps that work well with your particular 'phones.

Sep 24, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks everyone. I think I will be getting the fiio e17 and L9 to begin with and maybe down the road get a fiio e9 as a desktop, because it will be able to connect with my e17 if I remember correctly. Anyways, I'm quite certain about the e17 but if anyone can recommend any other great desktop amp that's better or comparable to the e9 it would be great.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #9 of 13
Hi - I'm also confused about this. I bought an E17 thinking I would use it as a portable DAC to use with my iPod (Classic) and/or iPhone (5), but was perturbed to only find headphone to headphone connections, so completely bypassing the DAC, using the E17 as an amp, and pretty much missing the point.

Surely there is a iPod connector to mini-USB that I can use to take the digital signal out of the iPod & into the DAC of the F117, and from there, through the internal amp, to my headphones.

I thought this was the whole point of it! :wink:

Of course Apple have changed the connector for the iPhone 5, so I'd need a different cable, or an adapter to get this to work, but the principle should be the same.

Could someone confirm if this is possible, and if so, how I do it? Many thanks for any help with this. 

Mark

Jan 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Hi - I'm also confused about this. I bought an E17 thinking I would use it as a portable DAC to use with my iPod (Classic) and/or iPhone (5), but was perturbed to only find headphone to headphone connections, so completely bypassing the DAC, using the E17 as an amp, and pretty much missing the point.

Surely there is a iPod connector to mini-USB that I can use to take the digital signal out of the iPod & into the DAC of the F117, and from there, through the internal amp, to my headphones.

I thought this was the whole point of it! :wink:

Of course Apple have changed the connector for the iPhone 5, so I'd need a different cable, or an adapter to get this to work, but the principle should be the same.

Could someone confirm if this is possible, and if so, how I do it? Many thanks for any help with this. 

Mark

Nope, it's not do-able, Mark. There are very few DACs compatible with idevices (and they're not cheap), as a specific licence is required.

I seem to recall a quote on here somewhere that FiiO applied for a licence about 3 years ago and have heard nothing.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Hi - thanks for the reply. That's dissapointing, and if I'd realised that I wouldn't have bought it, but it's useful to have this confirmed anyway, so thanks again.

Mark

It's still a decent intro-DAC for laptop/PC use and a decent portable amp, so don't be all doom and gloom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back