FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions)
Apr 12, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #586 of 718
I have a question, my E11K is not powerful enough to run my ATH-M50 to my liking and it's too overpowered for my PortaPro. So whhat portable headphones under $100 do you recommend that will pair well with the E11K? They must be on or over ear, thanks.

Apr 12, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #587 of 718
My FiiO E11K, can run all my Grado phones, and my senn hd 580...( 600 ).....easy enough....and theyre 300 ohm...?
And to be honest my nx 1  can too....

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #588 of 718
Got the E11K a few days ago and it's definitely the best amp I've owned so far. Such a lush sound. It truly brings out the best in my headphones and earbuds.

Note: I do hear slight noise with earbuds when there's no sound.

Apr 12, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #589 of 718
I have a question, my E11K is not powerful enough to run my ATH-M50 to my liking and it's too overpowered for my PortaPro. So whhat portable headphones under $100 do you recommend that will pair well with the E11K? They must be on or over ear, thanks.

The E11k is easily powerful enough to drive the ATH-M50s unless you have some super high inpedance model that I have never heard of. They should go very well together. Even so, other people have said that the E11k can drive headphones with a huge impedance so it should have no trouble with the M50s. I don't have the M50s but according to Audio Technica's website, they are 38ohm which is low. The sensitivity is also quite high so these headphones should be extremely easy to drive.

What are you plugging your E11k into?

Apr 13, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #590 of 718
The E11k is easily powerful enough to drive the ATH-M50s unless you have some super high inpedance model that I have never heard of. They should go very well together. Even so, other people have said that the E11k can drive headphones with a huge impedance so it should have no trouble with the M50s. I don't have the M50s but according to Audio Technica's website, they are 38ohm which is low. The sensitivity is also quite high so these headphones should be extremely easy to drive.

What are you plugging your E11k into?

I have a iPod Nano 3G and LOD with AAC files at 320.

My ATH-M50 sounds great with my JDS Labs C5 but I'm left with the desire of wanting more when I use it with my E11K. I like the E11K for its size, it stacks well with the Nano 3G. So maybe it's my headphones that's the problem with the amp? I would like to have suggestions on portable headphones that are on and over ear that are also under $100 if possible.

Apr 13, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #591 of 718

My ATH-M50 sounds great with my JDS Labs C5 but I'm left with the desire of wanting more when I use it with my E11K. I like the E11K for its size, it stacks well with the Nano 3G. So maybe it's my headphones that's the problem with the amp? I would like to have suggestions on portable headphones that are on and over ear that are also under $100 if possible.

I can't really help here. I'm not sure what headphones the E11k will drive if it can't power the M50s. It can power the M50s easily though so it could be your source that is the problem. Do you have the ipod at it's highest volume? If it isn't very loud then it would struggle to give enough volume to the E11.

If the M50s are not loud enough then I can't work out what would be with your setup. If you want headphones that are louder, you may have to go for some that are a round 16ohm. However, 16ohm headphones simply shouldn't need the E11 as they should be loud enough already.

Sorry, but I can't really understand how the M50s are not loud enough with your E11k.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #592 of 718

My E11k can drive DT1350 (80 Ohm) and HD650 (300 Ohm). Sensitivity of the cans also matter. But I don't think M50s is harder to drive HD650.  

First, if you select low gain with E11k, please try to set it to high. Low gain of E11k actually lowers volume than the source. Second, get an LOD cable to use line out of Nano 3G. I also have Nano 3G and its line out quality is quite good. 

If both solutions don't work, I guess your E11k has some issue. 

Apr 13, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #593 of 718
My E11k can drive DT1350 (80 Ohm) and HD650 (300 Ohm). Sensitivity of the cans also matter. But I don't think M50s is harder to drive HD650.  

First, if you select low gain with E11k, please try to set it to high. Low gain of E11k actually lowers volume than the source. Second, get an LOD cable to use line out of Nano 3G. I also have Nano 3G and its line out quality is quite good. 

If both solutions don't work, I guess your E11k has some issue. 

That's the problem, I use to use high gain with my PortaPro and it gives me a headache so I switched to low gain and it does not give me any problems other than wishing for a higher volume. I use a LOD with my nano 3G. I also think that my JDS Labs C5 spoiled me becuase my M50 works perfectly with it, not so much with the E11K in my opinion.

Apr 17, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #597 of 718

My ATH-M50s sounds great with the sansa clip or the DX5, with or without the E 11K

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #598 of 718
Can we stop with the "double amping" fallicies? The input impedance of the E11k (and amps in general) is in the order of thousands of ohms, rendering the opamp to being a pre amp circuit. Nobody has proven that using the ho of an iPod or any other modern device induces any kind of audible change in sound. The only possible exception would be poorly designed cell phones with CPU or radio emi. A problem with early phones, not so much nowadays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back