FiiO E11K &A3 Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early Impressions)
Oct 23, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #453 of 718
Hey Brooko thanks for pointing me to the Beyerdynamic portable headphones. I auditioned the T51p's and a used pair of pre-facelift DT1350's. I preferred the sound signature of the 1350's. Both did a terrific job of isolating outside noise (to test them I got permission to step outside of the store, which is on a very busy and noisy street). The used 1350's are in pristine shape and only cost $150. I was a bit worried about the clamping force and pad style issues brought up by other Head-fiers (see Beyerdynamic DT1350 thread) but I must say the clamping force and pads on this set are extremely comfortable.

They sound every bit as good (with better quality and quantity of bass) as my beloved Grado's. I would have been interested to compare them with the Sennheiser 25's but I prefer a more neutral sound signature and the 1350's perfectly answered that call so why bother.

And yes the E11K has a very delightful impact on these phones. The E11K/DT1350 combo has certainly satisfied (elevated) my on-the-go portable needs!!

Great advise, thanks!

Oct 26, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #455 of 718
Sorry for the late response; I've just read your post. Now that I've had the amp amp for a couple of days and having done some extensive listening sessions, I have to admit that the Lake People does a better job than the E11 - - soundstage is wider and overall the sound is clearer - - Your amp is one level higher and will definitely perform better especially with good hardware...

I don't want to go more into detail as this is the thread for Fiio's E11k

Oct 26, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #456 of 718
Isn't the lake people g109s a desktop amp and much more expensive?  Not really the same market as the e11k.  If I was going to get a giant portable I'd probably get that ifi idsd micro, the $499 one

Oct 26, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #457 of 718
Yeah, I was going to say that the Burson Conductor SL I had here definitely sounded better than the E11 or E11K as well... :rolleyes:

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #458 of 718
You guys would NOT believe what I am using my e11k to drive RIGHT NOW. Original 2000 ohm hd414 I won on eBay! Listening to Elvis 30 #1 Hits!

Oct 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #459 of 718
It's hilarious on low gain there's barely any volume. Not even quiet room conversation level. On high gain you have to turn it to 10 to get "sort of loud" with modern recordings. Yes on high gain, full volume, Death Magnetic is only sort of loud, but definitely loud enough to be fun. Classical stuff like Naxos recordings forget about concert levels lol.

Oct 31, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #460 of 718
It's hilarious on low gain there's barely any volume. Not even quiet room conversation level. On high gain you have to turn it to 10 to get "sort of loud" with modern recordings. Yes on high gain, full volume, Death Magnetic is only sort of loud, but definitely loud enough to be fun. Classical stuff like Naxos recordings forget about concert levels lol.

Was wondering if you'd had a defective e11k, then I read your post before that one. 2000 OHMs? Wow.

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #461 of 718
I have my e11k for a couple weeks and they sound good with my Sennheiser Momentum On-ear.
But I have to as if any one has any experience with those small tube headphone amps (Bravo,etc) I see on Ebay and Amazon flooding the market, will they  give me improved sound over my portable e11k? I realize they won't be portable, but I'm curious if the sound will be so much better, or just marginal?

Oct 31, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #462 of 718
  I have my e11k for a couple weeks and they sound good with my Sennheiser Momentum On-ear.
But I have to as if any one has any experience with those small tube headphone amps (Bravo,etc) I see on Ebay and Amazon flooding the market, will they  give me improved sound over my portable e11k? I realize they won't be portable, but I'm curious if the sound will be so much better, or just marginal?

Leave the cheap little amps with a shiny piece of LED glowing glass on eBay/Amazon where they belong and save your money.
The tubes on those are for looks more than anything else and they will not improve your sound.

Get yourself the Aune T1 if you want to play with a single tube unit as the DAC in it might improve your sound.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #463 of 718
thanks for your warning. My gut tells me the same thing
  Leave the cheap little amps with a shiny piece of LED glowing glass on eBay/Amazon where they belong and save your money.
The tubes on those are for looks more than anything else and they will not improve your sound.

Get yourself the Aune T1 if you want to play with a single tube unit as the DAC in it might improve your sound.

Thanks for your warning. My gut tells me the same thing... But it's hard when the reviews are all pretty good. 

Would the Little Dot be in the same league as the Aune T1?

I should mention that my source output will be an Oppo 93 --> my Nad M15 processor --> x10d tube buffer --> headphone amp.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #464 of 718
The LD I+ is just an amplifier but the tubes in it are utilized properly and you have an incredible amount of different tubes you can try. Have a look in the LD tube rolling thread.

Your momentums are low impedance which is why I mentioned the LD I+. I have not heard the Aune T1 but there are many respected users here on HF with one.

If you need a DAC I'd go for the T1, if not then the LD.

Oct 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #465 of 718
Sorry didn't see your source there, have a look at the Little Dot I+ and check out the thread.

I'd probably go right from the NAD to the LD but you can experiment with the buffer in between.
I like that little buffer I might just have to pick one up.
:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back