FiiO E11 vs FiiO E17
Sep 8, 2013 at 12:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

izzyisback72

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I have few questions beside FiiO E11 and FiiO E17.
confused_face(1).gif

How they perform in term of bass(which one is better)?
And the quality of the sound(which one is better)?

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 24
  Hello there,

confused_face(1).gif

Thanks!

The E11 is an amplifier while the E17 is DAC/Amp. Will you be using only the amp section of the E17? 

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #3 of 24
  Hello there,

confused_face(1).gif

Thanks!

Technically the E11 is a very slightly better headphone amplifier, but I doubt you could hear a difference.
I would think with all the features of the E17, the E17 would be preferred.

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 24
  Hello there,

Sorry if I ask but I'm new in audio things,what is DAC ?

A DAC is a digital-to-analog converter. In other words, you plug it in your computer and bypass your computer's internal sound card (which usually sounds bad) and get better sound quality. With some DACs, you can also plug them into your phone with the right cable. 

An amplifier, on the other hand, does not change the sound. It only amplifies the signal so you could get more volume with higher impedance headphones. May i ask what headphones you will be using? 

Sep 8, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 24
  Hello there,

Sorry if I ask but I'm new in audio things,what is DAC ?

DAC - Digital to Analog Converter.
Modern audio is stored and processed in digital (zero & ones), but the audio needs to be changed to an Analog Audio Signal, before it goes to an amplifier (and to the human ear).
Lots of mass market audio gear (mp3 players & cell phones, etc) come with low costing DAC chips.
The E17's DAC chip (WM8740) would be considered better then what comes in most portable audio players, cell phones, computers and laptops.
The better the DAC, the more the audio sounds like it did in the studio where the audio was created.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 24
A DAC is a digital-to-analog converter. In other words, you plug it in your computer and bypass your computer's internal sound card (which usually sounds bad) and get better sound quality. With some DACs, you can also plug them into your phone with the right cable. 

An amplifier, on the other hand, does not change the sound. It only amplifies the signal so you could get more volume with higher impedance headphones. May i ask what headphones you will be using? 
Hello there,

I will be using the Sennheiser hd449 with my iPhone 4s.

Best regards.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #9 of 24
Hello there,

Best regards.

The HD449 have an impedance of 32ohms so an amp is not needed. 

Is the reason you're looking for an amp because you're not getting the headphones to be loud enough? 

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #10 of 24

Seems like the best thing to do is get the Fiio E11 and a Fiio L cable.
Connect the L cable to the LOD port on the iPhone4 and the other cable end to the line-in port on the E11.
As you can't use the E17's DAC with the iPhone 4 anyway.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #11 of 24
The HD449 have an impedance of 32ohms so an amp is not needed. 

Is the reason you're looking for an amp because you're not getting the headphones to be loud enough? 
They are loud enought but I want more bass and more sound quality if the headphones can provide with the dac/amp.
And when I download a song from the internet what should I looking for?I want quality!!!

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 24
They are loud enought but I want more bass and more sound quality if the headphones can provide with the dac/amp.
And when I download a song from the internet what should I looking for?I want quality!!!

Thanks!

The E11 is a great option if you want more bass because it has bass boost adjustments. 
When downloading a song from the internet, make sure it has a high bitrate. For example, a song with good bitrate would be 320Kbps or 256Kbps. Low bitrate would be 128Kbps, 96kbps etc. Or if you can find FLAC files, thats even better. FLACs are uncompressed and often take larger amount of space than Mp3's do. 

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 24
The E11 is a great option if you want more bass because it has bass boost adjustments. 
When downloading a song from the internet, make sure it has a high bitrate. For example, a song with good bitrate would be 320Kbps or 256Kbps. Low bitrate would be 128Kbps, 96kbps etc. Or if you can find FLAC files, thats even better. FLACs are uncompressed and often take larger amount of space than Mp3's do. 
And where I can find flac's?And what's the aprox amount of space of one flac?

Thanks!

Sep 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #14 of 24
And where I can find FLAC's?
And what's the aprox amount of space of one FLAC?

A lot of people make their own FLAC audio files using their music CDs as the source.
I guess a FLAC version of a song could be roughly around maybe 5 to 6 times the size of a 256k or 320K version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back