FiiO E11.... pointless to buy with the ATH-M50?
Aug 14, 2013 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

adisonidle

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I'll admit i'm pretty new to the "audiophile" world. As cliche as this is, music truly is my world, blah blah blah. I've been craving decent sound through headphones and have tried out a few under $100, and i once bought (then sold) the Beats by Dre Studio **dodges evil sideways glances of judgement** sigh... i know, i know.. I was a victim of the fad. I'm not sure what i expected, but they did not sound like I had hoped. and the leakage was AWFUL! I barely had them turned up and everyone around me knew exactly what I was listening to!

I am CRAVING clear, rich, great sound to accompany my music. 

Regardless. I recently purchased a pair of ATH-m50 after reading a great deal of reviews and posts on this site. They should get here tomorrow, and i'm looking forward to it. 

Now, to the point of this post...

Before researching these headphones over the last few days, I was not aware that "portable headphone amplifiers" were even in existence! I will primarily be listening with my ipod classic or my macbook.. 

My question:
Is it worth it to pick up a FiiO portable amp to use with these headphones?
Will it help sound quality at all, or will it only make it louder?

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'll admit i'm pretty new to the "audiophile" world. As cliche as this is, music truly is my world, blah blah blah. I've been craving decent sound through headphones and have tried out a few under $100, and i once bought (then sold) the Beats by Dre Studio **dodges evil sideways glances of judgement** sigh... i know, i know.. I was a victim of the fad. I'm not sure what i expected, but they did not sound like I had hoped. and the leakage was AWFUL! I barely had them turned up and everyone around me knew exactly what I was listening to!

Regardless. I recently purchased a pair of ATH-m50 after reading a great deal of reviews and posts on this site. They should get here tomorrow, and i'm looking forward to it. 

Now, to the point of this post...

Before researching these headphones over the last few days, I was not aware that "portable headphone amplifiers" were even in existence! I will primarily be listening with my ipod classic or my macbook.. 

My question:
Is it worth it to pick up a FiiO portable amp to use with these headphones?

yea amps help with sound quality, I'd honestly recommend getting something like the Fiio E17, as you'll want a Dac and a headphone amplifier. Amps are not always needed but I much prefer amped to unamped. Then again I use a DAC [which is a Digital Audio Converter] with my pc so I need an amp.

Non the less something the like the E17 will give you a great improvement at home and straight out of ur iPod. I'd also try a Fiio LOD cable for the iPod if your going to amp. Now there are other options over the Fiio Amp Dac, and I'd see which ones work with Apple. I think Fiio might work with apple but I'm not 100% sure, either way an e11 would at the very least give you better bass control [with no bass boost] and you'd have the option for boosting even MORE bass into your headphones! 

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'll admit I'm pretty new to the "audiophile" world. As cliche as this is, music truly is my world, blah blah blah. I've been craving decent sound through headphones and have tried out a few under $100, and i once bought (then sold) the Beats by Dre Studio **dodges evil sideways glances of judgement** sigh... i know, i know.. I was a victim of the fad. I'm not sure what i expected, but they did not sound like I had hoped. and the leakage was AWFUL! I barely had them turned up and everyone around me knew exactly what I was listening to!
Regardless. I recently purchased a pair of ATH-m50 after reading a great deal of reviews and posts on this site. They should get here tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to it. 
Before researching these headphones over the last few days, I was not aware that "portable headphone amplifiers" were even in existence! I will primarily be listening with my iPod classic or my Macbook.. 
My question:
Is it worth it to pick up a Fiio portable amp to use with these headphones?

For the combined budget of what you would pay for the ATH-M50 and a add-on external headphone amplifier.You might have been able to buy headphones better then the ATH-M50.

The ATH-M50 are good bassy music headphones, but for more money you might have gotten headphones with more detail in the audio.

I would think the Fiio E11 ($46) or PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2, $60) would be about as much as you would want to spend for an amplifier for the ATH-M50s.

A Fiio E07K ($90) or the Fiio E17 ($105) come with a DAC that could be used with the Macbook, along with their head amp.

The Fiio E17 is normally $140, so $105 is a good price and is only $15 more then the E07K and has more features.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
For the combined budget of what you would pay for the ATH-M50 and a add-on external headphone amplifier.You might have been able to buy headphones better then the ATH-M50.

The ATH-M50 are good bassy music headphones, but for more money you might have gotten headphones with more detail in the audio.

I would think the Fiio E11 ($46) or PAV2V (Pocket Amplifier 2 Version 2, $60) would be about as much as you would want to spend for an amplifier for the ATH-M50s.

A Fiio E07K ($90) or the Fiio E17 ($105) come with a DAC that could be used with the Macbook, along with their head amp.

The Fiio E17 is normally $140, so $105 is a good price and is only $15 more then the E07K and has more features.

Well the Fiio E11 can be gotten here at head fi for like $30, and honestly most ppl selling them should not have n issues selling to a new member.

In addition a used e17 at $105 isn't bad either. But I'd say go for the Cheaper headphones and the DAC/Amp now simply because, when you want better headphones. You'll have a good source to power than and you'll enjoy them more having used a can like the ATH M50 first, if you jump straight into a $200-300 can and only use the Headphone out from your iMac it's not going to sound to great and you might not be happy, where as the E17 will last you a very long time, and would give you really the best boost in quality over your headphone out [into anything headphone] 

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 17
As Mshenay said, getting a DAC/amp is always better than getting an amp alone. Most laptop sound cards sound like garbage to be honest, and that's why you need something like an E17 or E10 to bypass it and give you decent SQ. But if you're going to use your M50's on your iPod/iPhone only, an E11 wil do the job perfectly.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:
SRH 840, ATH A900x, DT770 are all good alternatives to the M50's.

Although none of them will have the bass of the M50, they will have much better mids and highs, as well as tighter bass overall. Plus for $100 you can get a refurbished ATH A900x, and in a week or so I'll have mine to review... and I expect GOOD things from it! 

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 17
Although none of them will have the bass of the M50, they will have much better mids and highs, as well as tighter bass overall. Plus for $100 you can get a refurbished ATH A900x, and in a week or so I'll have mine to review... and I expect GOOD things from it! 

Awaiting your review, $100 is an excellent deal on them :p

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:
Awaiting your review, $100 is an excellent deal on them
tongue.gif

I'm AWAINTING my review to! For $100 on a Orignally $300 head phone... HECK yea 

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:
Which headphones would you recommend other than the ATH-M50's?

Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones

Refurb, $130, plus tax/shipping.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=269188747

New, $155, plus tax/shipping
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=284640702

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:
Audio Technica ATH-A900X closed headphones

Refurb, $130, plus tax/shipping.
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=269188747

New, $155, plus tax/shipping
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/audio-technica-audiophile-headphone-stereo-mini-phone-wired-40-ohm-5/227840139.html?listingId=284640702

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B006V386UG/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&condition=refurbished $109 reburbished in the States 

How ever new it is much more here in the US. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #13 of 17
iPods and Macbooks have a pretty clean and decent built-in amp 'for most people' so all you need to get is a FiiO E12 ($129) and you won't regret it.I had a FiiO E11 but my new FiiO E12 beats the crap out of the E11.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:
iPods and Macbooks have a pretty clean and decent built-in amp 'for most people' so all you need to get is a FiiO E12 ($129) and you won't regret it.I had a FiiO E11 but my new FiiO E12 beats the crap out of the E11.

Well that's good to know on the Apple products 

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #15 of 17
The FiiO E12 does 'significantly' increase the sound performance of headphones; i simply can't listen to any headphone without an amp now, it's just not worth it, it's like going from a car to a motor-bike, the comfort and luxury is simply not as good. 

Without an amp there is no power and drive to the sound, it lacks lustre, and sounds totally dismal, but plug in the amp and BANG! wow we're talking. Not just volume, but every sonic aspect and performance of the headphone significantly benefits from the amp. Once you go amp you never go back, it's as simple as that. I say get the FiiO E12 man, excellent value for money and very noticeable performance gains and quality, clean and balanced and powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back