Fiio E11 + AT ATH AD900x or Beyer DT880 Pro 250? More info inside.
Dec 17, 2014 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jwood013

Head-Fier
I have my Fiio E11 coming I'm as I type this and I'm very excited to use it in order to get the best sound out of my DT770 Pro 80. I'm looking into getting an open backed pair of headphones and I think I may have narrowed my search down to the AD900x and the DT880. I'm between myself on this for the following reasons:

I want headphones with a high enough impedance that I feel as if I'm really improving them by amping them. I want to get as much usage out of my amp as possible. The AD900x having a low impedance is what bothers me on that end. The DT880 however would have a 250 ohm impedance which will allow me to really make use of my amp. Maybe just a weird quirk or it might actually make sense. Not sure about that.

I want to get a very neutral listening experience with a large sound stage. The AD900x paired with my Fiio E11 which has a reputation of being warm and which also has two bass boost options seems like the best option for me. The DT880 has a V shaped curve to it so I think the E11 would make the bass a bit more overpowering. If I get the AD900x, which is forward in the mids and treble most of all, wouldn't the Fiio E11's warmth give me the neutral sound I'm looking for?

Those are my questions and concerns. If you have a headphone recommendation please tell! I'm open minded and will check out all other options given to me.

Some notes -
I listen to melodeath, thrash metal, pretty much all rock, jazz and classical, with a bit of EDM and small amount rap as well. The EDM and rap are covered by DT770 so there are no worries there.

My price limit is $175, so keep that in mind when recommending something. I'm all for buying used (but in good or better condition) gear; I bought the Fiio E11 used!

Thanks in advance for whatever help I'm given, it means a lot.

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 12
I honestly do not think the 880 has much of a V shape. Their high notes are a little more sparkly than on my Mad dogs, but I do not think their mids are recessed at all. As far as amp goes, I think the E11 would be enough for the time being. Obviously, as you mentioned, they scale well with a stronger amp, but I have listened to the 880 with an E17 for months, and I actually thought it was alright. Then I tried it out with the Schiit M stack. The difference in detail is fairly significant in my opinion.

In all, the 880s are a good option for you - if you want a neutral headphone with a large soundstage. Their downfall in my opinion is I would prefer more bass presence and less shrillness on the highs. I do not think you would feel that the bass would be overpowering - especially seeing as you prefer EDM and rap.

Dec 17, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the detailed response!

Overall I really prefer melodeath, thrash and classical over the others I mentioned. I think "classical" should be replaced with "orchestrated music" as I listen to more than just artists with the styles of Bach and Mozart if that makes sense. Take the Skyrim OST for example. It's comprised of my all time favourite songs.

For my bass head songs I can always go to my DT770. I guess since the DT880 is a bit more sparkly it would sound better in rock and metal, but I'm not sure about the orchestrated music. Since you say they're neutral I'm sure they'll perform greatly though.

So you don't think there would be any merit in me getting the AD900x over the DT880?

Edit -

I just did some more reading and the DT880 does have a neutral signature to it, along with the sound stage I'm looking for. DT880 it is!

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 12
It's great to hear that they're versatile like that!

I'm still doing a lot of reading but I think the DT880 is the best option for me, mainly because they're faster headphones than the AD900x.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 12
  It's great to hear that they're versatile like that!

I'm still doing a lot of reading but I think the DT880 is the best option for me, mainly because they're faster headphones than the AD900X.

Impedance is not really as an important factor for audio quality (as it use to be).
I guess high impedance is more useful in a studio environment or if you have a good tube amplifier or are using a receiver.
I own the DT880 250-Ohm & 600-Ohm headphones.
Currently my preferred headphones is the 40-Ohm ATH-W1000X.

Dec 17, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 12
Some people claim high impedance headphones (600 ohm for example) are better but I think that's because they're pairing with a high end tube amp, not the headphones themselves.

Right now I'm leaning back over to the AD900x.. God this is a hard decision. The more I think about it the more I think the AD900x would better suit me.

Dec 17, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #8 of 12
  Some people claim high impedance headphones (600 ohm for example) are better but I think that's because they're pairing with a high end tube amp, not the headphones themselves.

Right now I'm leaning back over to the AD900x.. God this is a hard decision. The more I think about it the more I think the AD900x would better suit me.

Keep in mind that that is a big difference in budget (between a high end tube amp and an E11). Also, from what I gathered in this discussion, there is not a consensus as to which one is better. Read the rest of the next couple pages of that thread.

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 12

I haven't heard the Beyer's (unfortunately 
frown.gif
), but I can vouch that the AD900X handles Melodeath very well, especially really well recorded stuff like older In Flames and Arch Enemy. Thrash can get a little dicey, but that's because a lot of it isn't the best produced. I was worried about the AD900X being slower too, but they do keep up well enough that you're not hearing things smeared and blurred, so I'm quite happy with them as an allrounder for harder rock/metal. Classic Rock is heavenly, as is all orchestral music, from chamber to symphonic. EDM is fine, but the bass is more deep than loud as you probably know. Hip-hop wouldn't be my first choice, other than old school stuff, but as you say, you've got that covered already. 

I don't amp mine. I have heard the E12 is really nice with the AD900X so maybe the E11 would be a good call too, but like you say it's very low and you might only get a 1-5% improvement with the amp.  

Sorry I can't compare to the Beyerdynamic, but I hope that helps you out a little bit from the AD900X side. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 12
I haven't heard the Beyer's (unfortunately :frowning2: ), but I can vouch that the AD900X handles Melodeath very well, especially really well recorded stuff like older In Flames and Arch Enemy. Thrash can get a little dicey, but that's because a lot of it isn't the best produced. I was worried about the AD900X being slower too, but they do keep up well enough that you're not hearing things smeared and blurred, so I'm quite happy with them as an allrounder for harder rock/metal. Classic Rock is heavenly, as is all orchestral music, from chamber to symphonic.

I don't amp mine. I have heard the E12 is really nice with the AD900X so maybe the E11 would be a good call too, but like you say it's very low and you might only get a 1-5% improvement with the amp.  

Sorry I can't compare to the Beyerdynamic, but I hope that helps you out a little bit from the AD900X side. 

It's great to hear they're fast headphones as well. I bit the bullet and got a DT880 reserved for me last night and I'll be ordering it next week, but again it's great to hear that about them. It seems like testing headphones with melodeath isn't popular which saddens me.

Edit -

I got the DT880 Pro 250 ohm reserved for me. It's used but in great condition and will cost $165 which is a steal!

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 12
It's great to hear they're fast headphones as well. I bit the bullet and got a DT880 reserved for me last night and I'll be ordering it next week, but again it's great to hear that about them. It seems like testing headphones with melodeath isn't popular which saddens me.

Nice, I hope you like them. I know how going back and forth between two headphones is. I debated over the HD 598 with the AD900X even after I had them, lol. Sounds like you're getting what you wanted though, so rock on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back