fiio e11 and sony xb-500?
Mar 10, 2012 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SilentxStatik24

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, new to this forum and I have some questions. I just ordered the fiio e11 and my current pair of phones are the sony xb-500s. I just want some info on what to expect with this amp and these headphones. (my main music source is a 16 gb zune hd) Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks a ton!

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm sure the E11 will improve the sound of the XB500s as much as any amplifier could (that's portable and in that price range).

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 15
Great, I'm very happy with my decision. Thanks for replying. Have you used the xb-500s with the e11 before? If so, what is the best eq setting for those heads! A reply would be greatly appreciated.
gs1000.gif

Mar 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #6 of 15
My XB500 settings looked like:

iTunes:

Realtek onboard EQ:

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Does the e11 have an effect of the smoothness and cleanness of the music, I'm coming from a Zune HD. Any help is greatly appreciated!

That is a loaded question, the Zune looks like a nice media player, I sure it does a decent job of powering headphones and the XB500 does not seem difficult to power.
Guess you will not know until you test it yourself.
One factor for clean audio is the DAC, and you will using the one built into the Zune with the Fiio E11.

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:39 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback guys. Does the e11 have an effect of the smoothness and cleaniness of the music, I'm coming from a zune HD. Any help is greatly appreciated!

You will enjoy your E11 with XB-500's you can never have enough bass right? Well you can but that's personal preference. The EQ settings will benefit mostly the low end. EQ1 seems to only affect the lower frequency just touching the bottom. EQ2 will give the mid bass a higher push as well as a further increase on the bottom end again.. I would start of with the EQ off. I don't own the XB-500 but assuming they're bass heavy you may be able to get away with no EQ that's not to say you don't need the E11. An amp will bring your headphones to life, they won't struggle as much, just imagine how they sound now but with more authority, smoother, clearer, louder, everything enhanced x10 of what they sound like now. (that does not apply to all headphones/ IEM'S) I use EQ1 for most of my music then when I wan't thumping bass I flick the amp up to EQ2.

Either way your own ears will make better judgement than us.

Enjoy your E11, purchase well made and won't go unused. 
happy_face1.gif

May 9, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 15
any follow up for what you experienced?

I have the sony xb-500's and I was thinking about buying the e11 too. I was wondering if it really is necessary or makes much of a difference for a cheaper pair of cans like the xb-500s. I just got an ipod video and realized how much better they sound than on my droid x. I love music and haven't delved much into over-ear cans. I love listening to house/dub-step on my xb-500s though. I mainly use my UE super.fi 5 (pre 600s). Would the E11 help with IEMs too?

The one plus about descent sounding sub $100 cans... you don't have to feel too bad about messing w it. 
beyersmile.png

(i know i put the wrong model on it and hate myself for it, but its stuck on with 5 layers of topcoat)

May 10, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Its funny because I was using the XB500 with both my Headstage and Fiio E11. The headstage 4g has a much cleaner bass boost but I found myself a much bigger fan of the Fiio bass boost on that headphone. Simply put, I didn't care for control or clarity. Just turned it up max bass boost and enjoyed my extremely skewed bass. E11 is definitely a great amp if you desire more bass like me. 

May 11, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 15
Simply put, I didn't care for control or clarity. Just turned it up max bass boost and enjoyed my extremely skewed bass.

I Think you just like getting your brain wiggled, hah. Check out "Cold Blank - 2012" @ 1:12 or surprisingly "usher - lil freak" if youre just looking for bass. They make my cars sub go nuts to the point my vision rattles.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back