Fiio e10K, sudden distortion and crackling. Do I need to return it?
Sep 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sparker5311

New Head-Fier
I just started using a Fiio e10K two or three weeks ago but I've started having a problem where occasionally (maybe once a day or every other day) it will go from sounding great to instantly having TONS of distortion with lots of pops and crackles.  The problem goes away if I unplug the USB cable from the back of the DAC and plug it back in.  

I found a thread describing a very similar problem (http://www.head-fi.org/t/757542/fiio-e10k-usb-cable-problems-and-popping) but his wound up being linked to a certain window opening and interfering with the audio.  My problem does not coincide with anything I can see happening on my PC.  It seems like it might be linked to parts of the songs when the bass kicks in suddenly but I'm not sure that's really the case.  I've had it happen on new to me electronic songs and have actually assumed it was a weird part of the track for a bit but when it drags on I realize something is wrong.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?  I'm listening to Spotify Premium using the standard Spotify client.  I'd really love for this to be some kind of a driver issue I can take care of myself instead of having to return my new toy.

Sep 3, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Maybe it's related to something you can't see on your computer, some recent update that is causing an issue.

Try it on another computer and see if the same thing happens.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Good idea, I'll try that when I get a chance but the problem is that it seems to take a few hours of listening before the distortion kicks in and my work computer is the only PC that I ever sit at long enough to have it happen.

I think I'll also try listening to local files with different programs for a while to see if it ever happens outside of Spotify.

Sep 3, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #4 of 7
If it takes a few hours, definitely seems like something someone else would have trouble diagnosing for you.

Now once it starts, it happens a lot? If so, this weekend, leave Spotify running on a computer at home with your E10K and your headphones, and then go check it after half a day or so.

Alternatively, order the Schiit Fulla: http://www.head-fi.org/t/737642/fulla-by-schiit-news-photos-thoughts-impressions-etc If you'll research it on head-fi, you'll find it to be recommended as a comparable unit, with some people saying they think it sounds just a bit better than the E10K. It does not have a line out (if you are using that for speakers or something). Worst case is that you get the Fulla and it has the problem, too, so you have to return the one you like the least. But at least then you will know.

Some other wild guesses:

1) Have you tried different USB ports, especially switching between USB 2.0 and 3.0, or front vs. rear connectors? Perhaps it's a port issue.

2) What headphones do you have and how loud are you running it? Are you using bass boost EQ? Maybe the E10K is reacting to being borderline on needed power, and after hours of use when heavy bass kicks in (which could require more power), it's no longer handling it well.

3) Do the pops and crackles happen at the same volume regardless of the volume on the amp? Not sure what that will tell us, but it is more information :) Any other information you can provide about the circumstances of how it happens might help.

Sep 3, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks for the input.  No problems yet today but it hasn't been happening every day.  Today I've mainly been using Tomahawk to play both local tracks and ones from Spotify.  I think Tomahawk is nice but I actually really like the interface in the normal Spotify client so I hope I don't have to stop using it long term.  I'll try and remember to take it all home over the weekend and see if it happens when I let it run overnight or something.  

I'll think about trying the Schiit if I can't figure this out.  I looked at that one when I shopped for the Fiio.  I don't like the idea of buying something and planning to return it. But I will if it comes to that.

Your other ideas don't seem too wild

1.  Good chance I should be using a different USB port anyway.  I'm using a high end engineering laptop and have the DAC plugged into a USB port on the back of my docking station (USB 2.0 I imagine).  I do have a USB 3.0 port open on the side of the laptop right next to where my Fiio sits so I'll probably switch to it when all is said and done but I want to limit what variables I'm changing right now.

2. I'm using a pair of ATH-M50X and not running them fairly loud but not crazy.  I'm about 5 out of 8 on the Fiio and the gain switch on the back set to low. The bass switch on the Fiio is usually on but not always.

3. Next time it happens I'll play a bit more with the volume before I unplug it.  I haven't done too much experimentation while its acting up before I unplug it.

Thanks again for the help

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the M50 (not the M50X). E10K ought to be able to drive them easy enough. Shouldn't be putting any strain on it.

Oct 8, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 7
Not sure if I've found an definitive answer on this but I have not been getting the problem any more over the past few weeks.  The main change that I've made is that I stopped plugging into the USB 2.0 port on the docking station for my laptop and am now plugged into a USB 3.0 port that is on the side of the laptop itself.  I haven't tried going back to the other port to see if that brings the problem back so I can't 100% say the port was the problem but it's gone away so I'm happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back