FiiO E10K or Schiit Fulla 2 ?
Aug 27, 2017 at 5:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Renato Fury

500+ Head-Fier
What's up, guys?
Well I am in doubt about which of the two buy to use with the sennheiser hd 598, I know that this headphone does not need amplifier but as my source is bad I saw the need to have a dedicated amp / dac, I hear EDM, Pop, Rock, Instrumental and etc but I'm not a headbass, however as I do not have the opportunity to try them I count with the help of yours one more time, thanks!

Aug 27, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2 of 16
I have never heard the E10K, so I can't give you a comparison with that one, but I did own the Fulla 2 and think it's great for the price. Very versatile too. (You can use it as a DAC/amp, DAC, amp, preamp, and DAC/preamp.) It also has higher output power than the FiiO and a more widely-regarded DAC chip.

Aug 27, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #3 of 16
I have never heard the E10K, so I can't give you a comparison with that one, but I did own the Fulla 2 and think it's great for the price. Very versatile too. (You can use it as a DAC/amp, DAC, amp, preamp, and DAC/preamp.) It also has higher output power than the FiiO and a more widely-regarded DAC chip.
Actually I'm more likely to buy the Schiit Fulla 2, but have you ever tested the Sennheiser HD 598? I ask this because I have read in a comment saying that it is not the most suitable for genres like EDM and Pop even more with a headphone that is also known for its lack of bass, I am not a headbass and I do not hear only those genres that I mentioned but I want something that can benefit on all types of music, if you have not used it with Fulla 2, could you tell me how it behaves with less serious headphones?

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #4 of 16
Actually I'm more likely to buy the Schiit Fulla 2, but have you ever tested the Sennheiser HD 598? I ask this because I have read in a comment saying that it is not the most suitable for genres like EDM and Pop even more with a headphone that is also known for its lack of bass, I am not a headbass and I do not hear only those genres that I mentioned but I want something that can benefit on all types of music, if you have not used it with Fulla 2, could you tell me how it behaves with less serious headphones?

I auditioned the HD 558, which has the same drivers as the HD 598. And I owned more expensive Sennheisers.

I'm assuming you mean basshead when you say headbass.

The amp just amplifies the signal. Your choice of headphone will determine the sound you get. Perhaps consider starting another thread for that.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 16
I auditioned the HD 558, which has the same drivers as the HD 598. And I owned more expensive Sennheisers.

I'm assuming you mean basshead when you say headbass.

The amp just amplifies the signal. Your choice of headphone will determine the sound you get. Perhaps consider starting another thread for that.
The Sennheiser HD 598 is a balanced and ideal headphone for all genres from what I read in forums and reviews, but I'm looking for an amp / dac because my source is bad but I'm afraid Schiit Fulla 2 will reduce the few serious ones The HD 598 already has, as I said I'm not one of those serious aficionados but I want them to be present in the songs, as you can see my knowledge is almost inexistent since I did not have the opportunity to use many audio equipment, These two would be my entry into the Hi-Fi world, but if you have something better based on what I want and in the same price range, I accept recommendations.

Aug 27, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 16
The Sennheiser HD 598 is a balanced and ideal headphone for all genres from what I read in forums and reviews, but I'm looking for an amp / dac because my source is bad but I'm afraid Schiit Fulla 2 will reduce the few serious ones The HD 598 already has, as I said I'm not one of those serious aficionados but I want them to be present in the songs, as you can see my knowledge is almost inexistent since I did not have the opportunity to use many audio equipment, These two would be my entry into the Hi-Fi world, but if you have something better based on what I want and in the same price range, I accept recommendations.

"Will reduce the few serious ones"? What does this mean?

I thought this thread was about choosing a DAC/amp. If you want headphone recommendations, you should start a thread about that, like I said.

Aug 27, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 16
Both should work very well with the Sennheiser HD598.
The Fulla is a tad more powerful while the FiiO comes with a BASS mode switch that tweaks the frequency response smoothly to compensate bass roll off and increase warmth.

If you want big bass and don't have the HD598 yet, check the Fidelio X1 and X2.
Maybe you can find them for similar money.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 16
Like stated above, Fulla 2 is stronger and FiiO has a bass boost. I've owned the 598 and E10K and it sounded just fine for a beginner setup. You don't need much to get the best sound out of your 598.

Out of the two, I'd buy the Fulla 2. The FiiO bass boost is nice for video games or movies but it's not good for music IMO because it brings the bass out too much.

Aug 28, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 16
What's up, guys?
Well I am in doubt about which of the two buy to use with the sennheiser hd 598, I know that this headphone does not need amplifier but as my source is bad I saw the need to have a dedicated amp / dac, I hear EDM, Pop, Rock, Instrumental and etc but I'm not a headbass, however as I do not have the opportunity to try them I count with the help of yours one more time, thanks!
I would spend the extra cash for getting the Fulla 2, over the E10K.

Aug 29, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #14 of 16
I would get the schiit. I too would say that the hd 598's aren't the best for edm/pop genres. I would look into some of audio technica's phones instead especially if bass isnt an issue
I do not only like EDM and Pop, but despite being my favorite genres I'm not a basshead either because I do not like headphones with bass that overlap the other frequencies, so I chose the sennheiser hd 598, by what I read It's an all-around headphone, or am I wrong ?

Aug 29, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 16
I do not only like EDM and Pop, but despite being my favorite genres I'm not a basshead either because I do not like headphones with bass that overlap the other frequencies, so I chose the sennheiser hd 598, by what I read It's an all-around headphone, or am I wrong ?
Yea, the hd 598 was fairly popular, and some ppl do say it is an excellent all around budget phone. If looking for a neutral sound, the 598's are probably good. In my personal opinion, the hd 598s are a little too neutral/more on the laid back side (recessed, mellow) to enjoy some edm/pop music. Probably more suitable for genres like classical and jazz. It lacks that liveliness or forward sound some ppl might be looking for. Some people who buy these headphones for the first time even describe it as the "Sennheiser Veil" and get disappointed, while others love it. I would say a budget, open-air headphone opposite of this is the ath ad500x/700x/900x line. Those are less neutral but more forward and suited for genres like jpop and easier to drive with a budget amp. Both the senns and ath phones have great soundstage, with the 598s having less yet punchier bass.

Since you say you listen to a variety of genres, this may not be an issue though. But for sure get a DAC/AMP with whatever choice if you're using a computer as a source.

In the end it all depends on one's preference and expectations. I listen to mostly edm/house/hip hop/pop/instrumentals and had to sell my 598's down the road as the sound was too distant, laid back and boring for those genres. The 598s definitely excelled in their clear trebles though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back