Fiio E10k causing distortion
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

luxxum

New Head-Fier
I recently bought an e10k for my ATX M40x (I know it doesn't need an amp, but I needed to bypass the audio jacks because they have stopped working, and figured I might as well get a Dac/Amp while i'm at it), and it seems to be causing distortion at the high end, turning it into a sort of "sizzling" sound, with a pretty broad range just being fuzzy and undetailed in general. I say "seems" because it really is only really obvious on twitch streams for whatever reason, but all higher-pitched stuff on youtube sounds really off as well, and it seems like certain frequency ranges are louder than they should be. Any idea what might be going on?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 6
Hmm that's odd. I used to have one with my 598 and I didn't notice any of that. Maybe you have your E10k USB cable near some big power source cables? That may cause interference

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #3 of 6
I recently bought an e10k for my ATX M40x (I know it doesn't need an amp, but I needed to bypass the audio jacks because they have stopped working, and figured I might as well get a Dac/Amp while i'm at it), and it seems to be causing distortion at the high end, turning it into a sort of "sizzling" sound, with a pretty broad range just being fuzzy and undetailed in general. I say "seems" because it really is only really obvious on twitch streams for whatever reason, but all higher-pitched stuff on youtube sounds really off as well, and it seems like certain frequency ranges are louder than they should be. Any idea what might be going on?

if your USB cable has no ferrite cores try that first, you can get them for around $5 if you don't have any lying around.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 6
Hmm that's odd. I used to have one with my 598 and I didn't notice any of that. Maybe you have your E10k USB cable near some big power source cables? That may cause interference
Potentially. I moved into uni the same day it was delivered, and who knows whats running through their floors.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Purchased. Does it matter where you put them on the cable?

Put them at the ends near the plugs, that's where the cables with built in ferrite cores are. Did you get just the ferrite cores? It's easier if you bought cables with the ferrite cores already so you won't deal with potential fit issues. Some of them are too loose on the cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back