Fiio BTR7 or Ifi go Blu DAC. Deciding which one to go for.
Apr 15, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #16 of 23
May I ask why you decided to recommend HD 600s to me
Simply because you already liked the HD598. Maybe if you tell us your preferred sound signature or some characteristics you want to try with the new cans, that would be helpful.

I know they should sound amazing(ly neutral), but I'm a little bit doubtful about the lower end.. dark vocals, symphonic metal.. are they going to be enough 🤔
Usually lack of low end with them is the consequence of improper driving. BTR5/7 or Go Blu would be fine. Not the basshead level for sure.

There are WAY too many choices.. currently eyeing Sundaras..
Sundara is always a great choice. Since you're going with wireless-wired combo, you can also consider the Deva Pro with the Bluemini R2R.

Apr 16, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #17 of 23
if you're looking to replace both bluetooth dongle and headphones, maybe you could also consider getting a wireless over-ears?
I prefer to buy headphones and receiver separately, just because I think headphones will live longer than current batteries / BT codecs. I expect to get 10/+ years out of quality headphones, but won't even dream of often used Nimh battery to last so long. Even if the headphones use replaceable batteries, BT codecs used today might be obsolete in 10 years 🤔 Cheaper to update / replace just the receiver..

Simply because you already liked the HD598. Maybe if you tell us your preferred sound signature or some characteristics you want to try with the new cans, that would be helpful.

I've been "almost" happy with the 598's. Wonderfully clean and open sound and I really like the vocals. But what I'm looking to improve is the lower end. I'm no basshead, but do enjoy metal and "powerfully", even majestic, music, and while 598's have been clean, I'm looking for a little bit more energy / oomph.
Sundara is always a great choice. Since you're going with wireless-wired combo, you can also consider the Deva Pro with the Bluemini R2R.
At the moment I'm leaning towards Sennheiser HD 660S, since I could get them cheaper (€315) compared to Sundara (€350).

I have never listened to 660S's though, so I just -think- they might please my craving for lower end more than 598's did.

Deva Pro is something new to me.. although higher priced (€399) than Sennheiser 600/650/660S or Sundara, BTR7 would not be required.. Thank you for the suggestion!

But.. then I wouldn't be able to hear what kind of difference BTR7 would make, compared to ES100, with K712 Pro's 🤭

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 23
At the moment I'm leaning towards Sennheiser HD 660S, since I could get them cheaper (€315) compared to Sundara (€350).
Hmm, I have never heard HD660S myself, but from a few friends whose ears I trusted, I don't think that would be an improvement in bass department if that's what you're looking for.
Deva Pro is something new to me.. although higher priced (€399) than Sennheiser 600/650/660S or Sundara, BTR7 would not be required.. Thank you for the suggestion!

But.. then I wouldn't be able to hear what kind of difference BTR7 would make, compared to ES100, with K712 Pro's 🤭
There is a special cable that you can use to connect other non-Hifiman headphones to Bluemini if you should go with the Deva Pro.

Alternatively, something like HE-5XX or Phillips X2HR might be of interest to you.

Apr 16, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #19 of 23
Hmm, I have never heard HD660S myself, but from a few friends whose ears I trusted, I don't think that would be an improvement in bass department if that's what you're looking for.

I just made a quick visit to shop selling Sennheisers and was able to briefly listen to HD660S and HD 650. Maybe I was imagining things, or more like imagining the lack of things, but 660S's sounded a bit.. muddy, from lower mid / low end, if that is possible(!?). Then again the 650's sounded much more "right" to my ear, the vocals were amazing, but.. the bass just wasn't there. Not enough. They sounded really good, but we're missing the WOW factor. I gotta admit I feel kind of dumb to think like this, when I -know- I was listening to 2 amazing headphones.

There is a special cable that you can use to connect other non-Hifiman headphones to Bluemini if you should go with the Deva Pro.

Alternatively, something like HE-5XX or Phillips X2HR might be of interest to you.

I never thought that I'd say this aloud, but maybe I need to let go of the thought of Sennheisers and find a place where I can listen Sundaras, and maybe those Deva Pro's or these other headphones you mentioned.

Or can someone comment could the "warmer tone" of BTR7 affect the sound of HD 650/660 so much that the difference is really audible? The place where I listened the 650/660S had some pretty massive Sennheiser amp driving them.

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #20 of 23
I just made a quick visit to shop selling Sennheisers and was able to briefly listen to HD660S and HD 650. Maybe I was imagining things, or more like imagining the lack of things, but 660S's sounded a bit.. muddy, from lower mid / low end, if that is possible(!?). Then again the 650's sounded much more "right" to my ear, the vocals were amazing, but.. the bass just wasn't there. Not enough. They sounded really good, but we're missing the WOW factor. I gotta admit I feel kind of dumb to think like this, when I -know- I was listening to 2 amazing headphones.
Yeah, that's what I heard about it too. Anyway, I did try the HD660S2 recently and I find it pretty good, but not at the current asking price. I'd say HD650 is a lot better value if you can get it at a frequently-discounted price.
I never thought that I'd say this aloud, but maybe I need to let go of the thought of Sennheisers and find a place where I can listen Sundaras, and maybe those Deva Pro's or these other headphones you mentioned.
Yeah, the best way is always to try it on yourself.
Or can someone comment could the "warmer tone" of BTR7 affect the sound of HD 650/660 so much that the difference is really audible? The place where I listened the 650/660S had some pretty massive Sennheiser amp driving them.
To be honest, Sennheiser's own amp is what Sennheiser imagine to be their ideal sound. However, of course due to the versatile nature of the headphones, many people pair those Senny cans with everything from homemade amp to something would amount to a nuke reactor (in headamp scale, of course). Pairing it with something like OTL tubes often would definitely add warmth.

I don't think BTR7 would help with HD650's bass to be honest (I have both of them here, I can confirm that), unless you use EQ. HD650 takes in EQ very well, so it's pretty flexible if you don't mind messing around with it. Also, about EQ, you might consider Qudelix 5k instead of BTR7, the software EQ on Qudelix is far more robust than Fiio's.

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #21 of 23
Yeah, that's what I heard about it too. Anyway, I did try the HD660S2 recently and I find it pretty good, but not at the current asking price. I'd say HD650 is a lot better value if you can get it at a frequently-discounted price.

At the moment 660S2 costs €599,99 and 650 costs €295.. so it's quite clear 650 blows 660S2 out of the water from pure value for money point of view, but.. if I keep missing the bass with 650, it kind of does not make sense to buy them, no matter how cheap 🙁

Yeah, the best way is always to try it on yourself.
I'm trying to make me forget the Sennheisers. It's just that the discounts are pretty nice. Yeah, contradicting myself here, I know.

I don't think BTR7 would help with HD650's bass to be honest (I have both of them here, I can confirm that), unless you use EQ. HD650 takes in EQ very well, so it's pretty flexible if you don't mind messing around with it. Also, about EQ, you might consider Qudelix 5k instead of BTR7, the software EQ on Qudelix is far more robust than Fiio's.
I chose BTR7 mainly because the power of it's balanced output. Not knowing what headphones I'll choose in the end it felt like the most safe bet, from BT-amps that are small and light enough to be attached to the headband..

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #22 of 23

I encourage you to have a read about Sundaras and still consider them. These are truly excellent cans for the price :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 17, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #23 of 23
I purchased both the Go Blu and BTR7 this week after having iPhone compatibility issues with an iFi Go Bar (which I returned). My use case is primarily a 40-minute walk commute to work and back. I have a pair of Meze Liric closed-back headphones and really enjoy them at home and at work in my large, robust stacks but needed an adequate way to listen to the Lirics and my local library via Roon ARC to and from those points.

I got the Go Blu a few days before the BTR7 so had plenty of time to fall in love with it. The size is perfect. It also looks really classy matched with my Lirics and it’s 4.4mm balanced braided copper cable. It pairs really quickly and I love the rotary dial. On my walks, I prefer to use my Apple Watch to control volume, and this device allows me to still do that. It certainly has enough power to drive the Lirics and has enough headroom for dynamic recordings that need more volume to sound their best. BT sound is better than I was expecting and is entirely adequate for my needs. We are in wildfire season here in my region, so I haven’t been able to walk this week due to poor air quality, so I am not sure how it will sound with traffic and other noise, but so far so good!

Then the BTR7 arrived. Dang this device sounds good! It is still just using the AAC codec because of the iPhone limitations, but it sounds clearer and more composed than the Go Blu. By comparison, the Go Blu sounds warmer/slightly rolled off in the highs…basically more “Bluetooth sounding”. And to be honest, some test tracks benefitted from that sound! The simple tap bass boost, treble boost, or smiley EQ settings on the Go Blu are great and this device really seems like a great mobile solution for listening to fun tunes. But my Meze Lirics sure benefit from the composure of the BTR7. The lightning iPhone edition that I upgraded to also worked straight out of the box and sounds even better. It allows me to bypass the Bluetooth and take advantage of my Roon library and its diverse sample rates—even my DSD files.

The sound is so good on the BTR7 that I will likely now use it in my physical media music library. Moving around the CD stacks can get crazy with a wired cable connection, so being untethered from my workstation and able to move around the shelves, stacks, and spinner towers is liberating.

But I don’t know if I will return the Go Blu. It is such a great little device and may be ideal for other situations. I just don’t know. Once I am able to walk to work again, I will test them both out and make a final decision, but the BTR7 isn’t going anywhere!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back