Fiio BTR5 vs Q5S?
Jan 7, 2020 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ionite

Perviously known as sammyhwang
As title says. With the level of similarity in hardware and impressive level of power from the BTR5, is there a point in getting the Q5s over it? Does anyone have/heard both units and can comment on the sound signature?

Jan 9, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 8
following

Jan 26, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #3 of 8
I have both. I think that they are more different than similar. Yeah they are DAC/AMPs with bluetooth made by Fiio. But the Q5s is huge compared to the BTR5. The Q5s has two main advantage over the BTR5:

1. Has Optical/Coax input and line out.
2. Can change the amp module.

The BTR5 has over the Q5s:

1. Smaller.
2. Cheaper.
3. More handsome (IMO).

I haven't had the BTR5 enough, but the Q5s gets hot, really hot. The BTR5 feels like a peeble, because is made mostly of glass, which can be a con if durability is a concern. I found that the stock amp (AM3E) of the Q5s is really feeble with it's single ended ouput, but to my suprise the BTR5 has enough omph in the single ended. I can get my HD600 to decent levels on high gain at 35/60 volume on the BTR5. On the Q5s that would be like 12 o'clock on high gain also, due note that the pot on the Q5s only goes up to 4:30, so not a lot of headroom with high impedance headphones. But work ok as USB DACs.

For 110 USD you cannot go wrong with the BTR5 unless you need optical/coax or the module thing, plus the screen is pretty cute and kinda useful.

BTR5 vs Q5s.jpg

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 8
I have both. I think that they are more different than similar. Yeah they are DAC/AMPs with bluetooth made by Fiio. But the Q5s is huge compared to the BTR5. The Q5s has two main advantage over the BTR5:

1. Has Optical/Coax input and line out.
2. Can change the amp module.

The BTR5 has over the Q5s:

1. Smaller.
2. Cheaper.
3. More handsome (IMO).

I haven't had the BTR5 enough, but the Q5s gets hot, really hot. The BTR5 feels like a peeble, because is made mostly of glass, which can be a con if durability is a concern. I found that the stock amp (AM3E) of the Q5s is really feeble with it's single ended ouput, but to my suprise the BTR5 has enough omph in the single ended. I can get my HD600 to decent levels on high gain at 35/60 volume on the BTR5. On the Q5s that would be like 12 o'clock on high gain also, due note that the pot on the Q5s only goes up to 4:30, so not a lot of headroom with high impedance headphones. But work ok as USB DACs.

For 110 USD you cannot go wrong with the BTR5 unless you need optical/coax or the module thing, plus the screen is pretty cute and kinda useful.

BTR5 vs Q5s.jpg
I have the BTR5 and while it's a very good sounding device, I find the overall sound quality when using Headphones is not quite as good as my desktop Setup (iFi Zen DAC & CAN). Would I benefit from getting the Q5s (or the new Q5s TC)? If so how? My headphones are Meze 99, Sundara & HD 58X. Also, is there any difference in overall sound quality when using IEM's? Thanks in advance

May 3, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 8
I have the BTR5 and while it's a very good sounding device, I find the overall sound quality when using Headphones is not quite as good as my desktop Setup (iFi Zen DAC & CAN). Would I benefit from getting the Q5s (or the new Q5s TC)? If so how? My headphones are Meze 99, Sundara & HD 58X. Also, is there any difference in overall sound quality when using IEM's? Thanks in advance
I actually haven´t used my Q5s in a long time, have you tried your BTR5 in balanced mode? I think for headphones you need more power, I have a pair of HD600 and HE400i which would be close to the Sundara and HD58X and I just bought a balanced cable for the Senns to play them from the BTR5, if you don´t want to go the balanced route, you can get something like a Topping NX4 which has more power and I quite like it better than the Q5s.

May 4, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 8
I actually haven´t used my Q5s in a long time, have you tried your BTR5 in balanced mode? I think for headphones you need more power, I have a pair of HD600 and HE400i which would be close to the Sundara and HD58X and I just bought a balanced cable for the Senns to play them from the BTR5, if you don´t want to go the balanced route, you can get something like a Topping NX4 which has more power and I quite like it better than the Q5s.
I've since purchased a used Chord Mojo and like it a lot. Thanks for the suggestions though. I did try BTR5 in balanced with Meze 99 Balanced Cable, small improvement compared to SE but ultimately found better upgrade with Mojo.

May 4, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #7 of 8
almost all portable AMPs have inferior quality to desktop AMPs even if they cost more, I own a Fiio A5 that does 800mW output power and it's nothing compared to every desktop AMP I tried also any bluetooth codec will take a big bite out of detail and mostly resolution.... if you want a amazing sounding portable AMP and don't care about prices or sizes get a desktop amp that has portable capabilities like many iFi amp's and just hook up a bluetooth receiver to it, my Fiio A5 runs with a dedicated bluetooth receiver hooked up to it since it comes with those bands anyway I just used those.

May 4, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #8 of 8
almost all portable AMPs have inferior quality to desktop AMPs even if they cost more, I own a Fiio A5 that does 800mW output power and it's nothing compared to every desktop AMP I tried also any bluetooth codec will take a big bite out of detail and mostly resolution.... if you want a amazing sounding portable AMP and don't care about prices or sizes get a desktop amp that has portable capabilities like many iFi amp's and just hook up a bluetooth receiver to it, my Fiio A5 runs with a dedicated bluetooth receiver hooked up to it since it comes with those bands anyway I just used those.
I'm using Chord Mojo with a slightly modified xDuoo 05BL Pro module now. Happy with it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back