[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,816 of 3,680
I do not have an iPad, so I can not help with that. On the iPhone, I am using the built in music app. Are you streaming the music from a Plex server with the Plexamp, or is it local on the phone?

I do not have the same experience with the camera adapter and BTR5 on my iPhone 8. I just plug it in and it works. Not sure what is causing what you are seeing. Maybe the Fiio rep would have some clues for you.

For Plexamp the music was both local on my iPad, and streamed. I have Plexamp configured for the maximum quality, so no transcoding is happening. I verified no transcoding is happening via the Varys app. It's all Direct Play FLAC.

Jun 22, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #1,817 of 3,680
hello to all of you a question from me also
So my gear is a fiio M11 fh7 iems and my phone (P30 PRO)
For the times i dont want wires fh7 to M11 i was thinking the btr5 plus the lc 3.5bs cable (short 45cm)
first question,does the btr5 connect at the same time with my phone (for calls only) and the M11 for media? and when i am hearing music from the M11 and receive a call from my phone does it stop playing music and start ringing?
second is there a short cable like the one above but in 2.5 balanced?
for the current iems fh7 is maybe the btr3k also good? to save some money?
Thnaks in advance

Jun 22, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #1,818 of 3,680
I *really* need the bit depth displayed so I can tell whether my device is sending the proper hi-res audio stream. Right now I have no idea if it's 16 bit, 24 bit or 32 bit. All I know is the sampling frequency, which is nice but doesn't tell the full picture. I'm not sure which BT parameters you are referring to. I just want the current CODEC (APTX HD, LDAC, etc.) displayed.

Oh I think I see now. You are referring to BT connection only, not to the USB one.

When BTR5 receives data via USB, the display shows the sampling resolution. (This is a fact)

When BTR5 receives data via BT, the display only shows the codec (instead!).
I think you would not need the information about the original file resolution, as the BT codec is downsampling it anyway...

That said, yes, they might also add bit-resolution info alongside sampling...

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,819 of 3,680
I *really* need the bit depth displayed so I can tell whether my device is sending the proper hi-res audio stream. Right now I have no idea if it's 16 bit, 24 bit or 32 bit. All I know is the sampling frequency, which is nice but doesn't tell the full picture. I'm not sure which BT parameters you are referring to. I just want the current CODEC (APTX HD, LDAC, etc.) displayed.
Well if your device is working right, the bit depth to BTR5 would be 32bit all the time (on USB) as the device is 32bit. so the player (your phone etc.) should send the data in 32bit chunks.
Ofcourse BTR5 is also compatible with 16 and 24bit data, in case your player can only manage 16 or 24.
Only your player KNOWS what the material is encoded in, which incidentally does not mean it was actually recorded in!!
Meaning, a 16bit original can easily be re-encoded to 24bit or higher, and vice-versa. Only by measuring the data , its dynamic range and noise content can one truly know what a certain piece of music is, 16 , 24 or 32bit.
On a side note, since there are so many FALSE 24bit (etc.) tracks flooded on the internet, HDTracks actually measure its material and compares it to the CD version, only and only if the track has more info. that the 16bit CD original, they choose it to be included on their website.
Long story short - don't worry about it! you can never tell, but if you must, look it up on your player, that's the only place you might get any info. albeit not accurate most of the time.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #1,820 of 3,680
hello to all of you a question from me also
So my gear is a fiio M11 fh7 iems and my phone (P30 PRO)
For the times i dont want wires fh7 to M11 i was thinking the btr5 plus the lc 3.5bs cable (short 45cm)
first question,does the btr5 connect at the same time with my phone (for calls only) and the M11 for media? and when i am hearing music from the M11 and receive a call from my phone does it stop playing music and start ringing?
(...)
Regarding the bluetooth behaviour, that's exactly how mine works between my PC and iPhone, so it should also work in your setup.

Jun 22, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,821 of 3,680
Could one of the realm of the sky edition owners post a few photos of their device? I want to order a btr5 soon and I can't decide between the black and the sky colorway. I could find countless user photos and videos of the black version but none of the sky edition, besides the promotional material. Thanks!

It's limited but I think the black looks more slim and hides the screen.

Jun 22, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,823 of 3,680
So, when connecting the BTR5 with an iPhone, iPad or even an Apple Watch, the codec displayed is AAC. But when connected with an Apple TV 4K, the codec is only SBC. Do anyone else have also this issue? Why I am not getting the AAC codec with the Apple TV? @FiiO do you have any explanation/help for this?

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #1,824 of 3,680
So, when connecting the BTR5 with an iPhone, iPad or even an Apple Watch, the codec displayed is AAC. But when connected with an Apple TV 4K, the codec is only SBC. Do anyone else have also this issue? Why I am not getting the AAC codec with the Apple TV? @FiiO do you have any explanation/help for this?

I had read that an ES100 user can't get AAC from his Apple TV 4K as well, but only SBC. So this could very well be an Apple issue.

Jun 23, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #1,826 of 3,680
Jun 23, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #1,827 of 3,680
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:47 AM Post #1,828 of 3,680
Jun 23, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #1,829 of 3,680
Jun 23, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #1,830 of 3,680

Yet another (missing) feature they elected "not requiring a disclaimer" on their spec sheets? The list starts to be long :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back