[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 6, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #2,566 of 3,679
There is a fault with my BTR5 which causes it to disconnect too easily when touched in DAC mode.

It makes adjusting the volume so frustrating. The problem was present when it was new but because I didn't use it in DAC mode at the start I thought it was just the Bluetooth being flakey. Now I'm sure it is a default on the device.

It also happens in bluetooth even when the DAC is on oneside of my body. I put the BTR5 in my left shirt pocket and my phone on the right and the same thing happens.

Is this a known fault with the BTR5.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,567 of 3,679
There is a fault with my BTR5 which causes it to disconnect too easily when touched in DAC mode.

It makes adjusting the volume so frustrating. The problem was present when it was new but because I didn't use it in DAC mode at the start I thought it was just the Bluetooth being flakey. Now I'm sure it is a default on the device.

It also happens in bluetooth even when the DAC is on oneside of my body. I put the BTR5 in my left shirt pocket and my phone on the right and the same thing happens.

I have one for a year and I haven't faced this issue even once. I think your earphone jack has some issue. You should get it checked at your local Fiio service centre. If still under warranty, you might get a replacement piece as well.

Jul 6, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #2,568 of 3,679
I have one for a year and I haven't faced this issue even once. I think your earphone jack has some issue. You should get it checked at your local Fiio service centre. If still under warranty, you might get a replacement piece as well.

It is not the earphone jack. It also gets disconnected in pavucontrol. That shouldn't happen unless the disconnection has been continued for a number of seconds.

The same fault also occurs on the balanced connection.

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #2,569 of 3,679
It is not the earphone jack. It also gets disconnected in pavucontrol. That shouldn't happen unless the disconnection has been continued for a number of seconds.

The same fault also occurs on the balanced connection.
Ahh. Then I suggest you visit your local Fiio store/centre and get it checked by them

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,570 of 3,679

Dear friend,

1. Do you have another usb cable to test? Does the issue remain?

2. Some explanations about Bluetooth Connection https://forum.fiio.com/note/showNoteContent.do?id=202106261757569369812&tid=113 You could check whether this explanation help?

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 7, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #2,571 of 3,679
Is the BTR5 still for sale. It’s not available on Amazon UK or your Aliexpress shop?
The BTR5 is out of stock currently. If the seller does not have it as well, maybe it is sold out. You could wait for the next batch if you don't mind.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 7, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #2,573 of 3,679
Can i plug this thing on my desktop speakers?

Silly question probably but i'm a novice when it comes to audio electronics and i'm always afraid to damage them in unexpected ways.
Yes.
In case your speakers have a 3.5mm plug. :wink:
But you've to figure out the best matching volume level yourself.

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #2,574 of 3,679
I own this nad i love it, I just would like to have a btr5 transmitter for my mac, to send audio via usb to the btr5 in the highest possible bluetooth codec. currently macbook supports aptx standaart max.

Jul 11, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #2,575 of 3,679
I own this nad i love it, I just would like to have a btr5 transmitter for my mac, to send audio via usb to the btr5 in the highest possible bluetooth codec. currently macbook supports aptx standaart max.
The BTA30 comes to mind, but it doesn't support LDAC when the source is connected via usb, sadly.

Jul 11, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #2,576 of 3,679
The BTA30 comes to mind, but it doesn't support LDAC when the source is connected via usb, sadly.
yes, but that product is half baked only, waiting for next version, maybe.

Jul 12, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #2,577 of 3,679
Yes, you plug the BT-W3 into your PS4, and it will send BT audio to your BT amp or headphones. It will be stereo only on PS4. The audio it sends varies upon the capability of the BT device you are using, SBC, AptX-HD, LL, etc. Chat audio on PS4 still needs the included BT-W3 3.5mm chat adapter, or other means of external mic, such as modmic or similar. I just received my BT-W3 today and will post impressions of it with PS4 once I've spent some time with it.

I'm waiting to see what the PS5 will be able to send via USB. If it can send processed surround audio via BT, then I will either pick up a BT3K or BTR5, and connect to my wired headphones to pair with the BT-W3.
Since I finally managed to pick up a BTR5, is this dongle still the best affordable way to connect a PS4 to the BTR5, or did better options emerge in the meantime?
As far as I was able to find out both PS4 and PS5 still only support UAC1 and there is no trick or converter cable to connect them to a UAC2 DAC, right?!

Are there devices that can convert TOSLINK to USB (UAC2)?
I am only finding devices that convert from USB to TOSLINK.

Thank you (or anyone else) in advance for looking into my question. :)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #2,578 of 3,679
Just got my BTR5 and really enjoying it. Last night I had a chance to use in BT mode with X5III and Samsung A11 and both sounds great, even though APTX is the highest BT codec either will go to.

Today I ran the BTR5 in USB DAC mode with my A11 and it was fantastic! I was able to drive my Drop HE-X4's with good headroom through its 2.5mm balanced. It was nice and moderately loud, without straining, at below 30 volume level on the BTR5 and those cans EAT current!

Question:

When one is running a phone or DAP in USB DAC mode with an outboard DAC, can one assume that the primary nature of the sound, whatever it is, warm, analytical, etc., is due to the DAC? I realize that something of the nature of the "head unit", cables and obviously, the headphones, also influence the sound but between a smartphone or DAP and a connected DAC, are you basically listening to the sound of the DAC?

Jul 18, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #2,579 of 3,679
Question:

When one is running a phone or DAP in USB DAC mode with an outboard DAC, can one assume that the primary nature of the sound, whatever it is, warm, analytical, etc., is due to the DAC? I realize that something of the nature of the "head unit", cables and obviously, the headphones, also influence the sound but between a smartphone or DAP and a connected DAC, are you basically listening to the sound of the DAC?
Yes, you are using your phone/DAP as a “transport” to feed the external DAC.

There is someone who can perceive some difference between different “transports”. I've never been able to.

Jul 18, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,580 of 3,679
Just got my BTR5 and really enjoying it. Last night I had a chance to use in BT mode with X5III and Samsung A11 and both sounds great, even though APTX is the highest BT codec either will go to.

Today I ran the BTR5 in USB DAC mode with my A11 and it was fantastic! I was able to drive my Drop HE-X4's with good headroom through its 2.5mm balanced. It was nice and moderately loud, without straining, at below 30 volume level on the BTR5 and those cans EAT current!

Question:

In most cases yes, but you are using an Android phone, that isn't bitperfect, so the tuning of the base eq does play a part in the sound ypu here as well. Do you have the atmos audio activated or not. Definitely sounds better on, but wanted you to know it Definitely plays a role as eq changes in the Samsung sound settings will change the sound heard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back