[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,906 of 3,639
There’s got to be a way to replace them all with one device that plugs into the DAC as source. I’m not too concerned with Bluetooth or chromecast but they’re nice bonuses if so. Maybe a raspberry pi solution but even then I could just get a DAP.

The CCA and Bluetooth adapters are my DACs. I will normally connect from my phone or Chromebook. Was considering building a RaspPI DAP but after adding up the PI, case, screen and HAT - figured it would be more expensive and improvement negligible. Just to clarify - I already have a PI unit and screen - the additional HAT would not be as sophisticated as the BTR5.

The added value of the BTR5 is that I can bring it with me when I want to be mobile. I use my BTR5 and the other BT devices as DACs both at home and work - just connect to my computers and have them function as DACs.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #1,907 of 3,639
Thanks ! So why isnt the max dividing factor not always used ? You always want less noise don't you? I presume there are countersides to balance?
This might also explain why different divider factors are recommended for USB and BT?

Thanks again
Battery drain, heat generation.
In a battery operated device, battery drain is always of prime consideration - faster clocks use more battery.

Jul 26, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #1,908 of 3,639
@FiiO - tl;dr - AlExpress changed their site somehow and privacy settings in Microsoft Edge / Chrome I had been using for months caused me to see that "Cannot Ship to United States" error message when I tried to select a product to purchase on your store. Details below:

Privacy Settings - Alter browser's built-in privacy settings easily inside a toolbar popup
https://add0n.com/privacy-settings.html

I worked with AliExpress and the "Can not ship to United States" error happens when I have "Privacy Settings" extension set to "Full Privacy" in Microsoft Edge. When I back down security to "Reset to Defaults" then AliExpress allows "Shipping to US".

IDK which specific privacy option in Microsoft Edge is the issue - the "Privacy Settings" extension allows for individually controlling each setting, but the value of it is 3 granular settings "Reset to Defaults" - "Enhanced Privacy" - and how I usually run with "Full Privacy" set

Something changed on AliExpress in the last weeks as I hadn't changed my Microsoft Edge / Privacy Settings options for months.

Here's the extension should anyone want to duplicate this and debug which privacy setting AliExpress all of a sudden got sensitive to:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/privacy-settings/ijadljdlbkfhdoblhaedfgepliodmomj?hl=en

I suggested AliExpress try installing it and setting "Full Privacy" and go to a product page on AliExpress and select an option / item to put in the cart and see if they can see the "Can not Ship to United States" error, then disable / reset each privacy setting to figure out which one is the problematic setting.

For now I'll just toggle back and forth between "Reset to Defaults" and "Full Privacy", or more likely stop using AliExpress. :)

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #1,909 of 3,639
Just like to update others and let them know the glitches I was experiencing with BTR5 to V30 over USB C are resolved.

The problem as suspected was because of the cable I was using. A USB C to Micro USB with with a USB C adapter. I guess it was having some kind of bandwidth bottleneck when it came to playing back highest level 384 recordings.

A basic short £3 USB C to USB C cable arrived today and I’m a happy man. Everything is now playing perfectly through UAPP app.

Now I need more time to evaluate using V30 via 3.5mm vs connected over USB C to BTR5 2.5mm for highest quality listening experience.
LDAC is working so well that it will have to be a fair improvement to bother going the USB C route at all.
does an ordinary C to C cable work or does it have to be a special OTG cable?

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #1,910 of 3,639
On my v30 I use a standard/ordinary usbc to usbc cable.

However 99.9% of the time I just use the BTR5 in LDAC Bluetooth mode as it sounds great and is quite convenient.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,911 of 3,639
Just like to update others and let them know the glitches I was experiencing with BTR5 to V30 over USB C are resolved.

The problem as suspected was because of the cable I was using. A USB C to Micro USB with with a USB C adapter. I guess it was having some kind of bandwidth bottleneck when it came to playing back highest level 384 recordings.

A basic short £3 USB C to USB C cable arrived today and I’m a happy man. Everything is now playing perfectly through UAPP app.

Now I need more time to evaluate using V30 via 3.5mm vs connected over USB C to BTR5 2.5mm for highest quality listening experience.
LDAC is working so well that it will have to be a fair improvement to bother going the USB C route at all.
And does the Fiio sound better than V30 on usb mode?
somehow I am not expecting so, unless V30 does not like your headphones.

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #1,912 of 3,639
99 out of 100 it should be an otg .
otg wiring tells your phone you just connected a device to it, rather than a charger or a computer.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,913 of 3,639
otg wiring tells your phone you just connected a device to it, rather than a charger or a computer.
Doesn't USB-C make OTG unnecessary? The cables I've used have all been standard USB cables and they've worked fine.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #1,914 of 3,639
I've used this short USB-C to USB-C cable to connect the BTR5 to my Sony smartphone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H86QB6

Mostly just wanted to test it out, I don't use it like that regularly. I didn't notice any obvious sound quality difference between USB-C and LDAC 990 (LDAC "best effort" does sound worse sometimes), though LDAC does seem quieter at the same volume step so it's hard to make a quick, volume matched comparison.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #1,915 of 3,639
I've used this short USB-C to USB-C cable to connect the BTR5 to my Sony smartphone:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071H86QB6

Mostly just wanted to test it out, I don't use it like that regularly. I didn't notice any obvious sound quality difference between USB-C and LDAC 990 (LDAC "best effort" does sound worse sometimes), though LDAC does seem quieter at the same volume step so it's hard to make a quick, volume matched comparison.
BTR5 has separate volume memory for BT and USB.
you have to set volume for each format , and then try to do a A/B comparison .

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #1,916 of 3,639
BTR5 has separate volume memory for BT and USB.
you have to set volume for each format , and then try to do a A/B comparison .

I realize that, what I mean is that if I set the BTR5 at say 35 while on bluetooth and at 35 using USB-C, 35 on USB-C is perceptibly louder than 35 on bluetooth, so I would really have to measure the sound output to volume match. This might be particular to my phone or something to do with the settings on the app I'm using (Poweramp), I haven't done much playing around to try to figure that out

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,917 of 3,639
Doesn't USB-C make OTG unnecessary? The cables I've used have all been standard USB cables and they've worked fine.
I heard that too, the host and child relationship is set dynamically by the new USB protocol (3.0? 3.1?) rather than by hard-wiring the lines the usual way to make it OTG. USB C is just an interface and the protocol may be one of 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1 so its hard to know weather a cable with C to C is capable of dynamically settings this or not. I am not 100 about this, so can anyone of you post a link to a cable that works.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back