[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #1,010 of 3,680
So the battery will run flat after a few hours?

Yes after say 7 on balanced or 9 SE roughly. The default resets it after shutting it off and then turning it on it will charge again. So you can turn it off on the btr5 itself when you're using USB, but then the next time you use it - it will charge from USB.

Handy if you don't want it to suck power from your phone. Or you can leave it charge and wirelessly charge you phone and have it charge the fiio also.

Of course using BT it just runs down, unless hooked to power such as a power bank and charging is allowed. The thing doesn't have the longest battery life but it's easy and quick to charge.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #1,013 of 3,680
Really? Never tried anything usb with my iPhone. I'm using galaxy 10 now and it charges it fine.

Apples little quirks I guess.
This is why only 3rd generation dragonflies work with iPhone and not old generation.

The thing is though that with my iPhone both the Bluetooth (not producing audio but is still connected) and the usb is working the same time so battery from btr5 depletes considerably faster in that mode.

Feb 19, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,014 of 3,680
This is why only 3rd generation dragonflies work with iPhone and not old generation.

The thing is though that with my iPhone both the Bluetooth (not producing audio but is still connected) and the usb is working the same time so battery from btr5 depletes considerably faster in that mode.

That's weird, usb mode should cancel out bluetooth, it should be displaying the bit depth rate, otherwise it's not putting out usb audio, it's using bluetooth for audio even though it's plugged in.

Like if I don't have the right usb driver working it will show ldac even though it's plugged into usb audio. The player (hiby, uapp) also shows usb connected.

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #1,015 of 3,680
got mine today,

Not sure if my unit is defective, with a pair of UE900S im getting listening volume at 45 (low gain) with the normal unbalanced cable, but i could not get sound out of the balanced 2.5, is there something special i have to do to get audio out of balanced ?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #1,016 of 3,680
This is my first post on this forum, so hello to all!
After reading for years over here i think it is time to start talking.
After reading about thé fiio btr5 i ordered one. In thé Meanwhile i started reading this thread from thé first Page, and yesterday i finisched thé last Page and today my btr5 arrived. I can't be more happy!
Using it balanced with tin hifi t3's and it's amazing, i have a balanced cable coming in for my kz zs10pro's, and there is a pair of blon bl3's with ballanced cable on there way to( yes i know, i'm becomming a cheap chifi fan :p )
After reading allmost all post here i have a few things i want to ad of ask:
-I read that with android you have to select Ldac everytime you connect thé device, but i don't have to do that, it stays on Ldac even when disconnect or reboot (using Motorola G7 plus!)
-it looks that the btr5 does not Remember thé DAC clock divider level , setting it with thé fiio control app, and it randomly switches, it stays on 1 if i select it sometimes, then it's back to 1/4, don't understand why it changes. Is this a known bug?( Trying to use 1 all thé time, battery life is not important because i have a big 20.000mah battery pack).
-is there a website where i can check for thé latest fiio control app? I downloaded from thé link in a post in this thread, but is i search Google i don't find anything about it?

Thanks for all thé advice and tips over here! Helped me a lot!!!!

Feb 19, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #1,017 of 3,680
I mean that the usb is playing music but the Bluetooth is still connected to the phone for the fiio app so battery is used twice as much. I use also clock divider to one so battery life is mediocre that way. I think battery life is much better when I use only Bluetooth AAC with my iPhone.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #1,018 of 3,680
-I read that with android you have to select Ldac everytime you connect thé device, but i don't have to do that, it stays on Ldac even when disconnect or reboot (using Motorola G7 plus!)
-it looks that the btr5 does not Remember thé DAC clock divider level , setting it with thé fiio control app, and it randomly switches, it stays on 1 if i select it sometimes, then it's back to 1/4, don't understand why it changes. Is this a known bug?/QUOTE]

No, it'll stay at Ldac.
You have to switch the bitrate to 990kbps every time. :wink:

2. didn't try, but on bluetooth, it stays at 1/4 on mine.

Feb 19, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #1,019 of 3,680
I mean that the usb is playing music but the Bluetooth is still connected to the phone for the fiio app so battery is used twice as much. I use also clock divider to one so battery life is mediocre that way. I think battery life is much better when I use only Bluetooth AAC with my iPhone.

Yes I use it on 1 clock setting and that connection to the app should be nominal, your not streaming music data. Mine is pretty much the same using USB so idk.
But it definitely shouldn't be using twice as much for that app connection, I get about 7 or so hours out of the balanced out either way - BT or USB.

Of course if my phone is charging, then I turn charging on. Of course I'm using ldac which probably uses more juice than aac.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 5:44 PM Post #1,020 of 3,680
Did you get around to comparing the two ?
I'm so sorry.
I wanted to make the comparison but stucked immetiatly with listening to music. ^^
. . . 4 hours later . . . :deadhorse:

Did a brief listening with my Monitor 5.

V30 with UAPP in bit perfect, high gain and "sharp" filter, btr5 connected via usb to the V30, on balanced with charging off and "fast" filter.
V30 on volume 45, btr 5 on 30.

First, i do need more time to evaluate.
It's a tough race.
Can't really say that the btr5 is superior to the V30.
There're sonic differences, i guess.

It's very hard to fit all parameters exactly.
A small slight of the headphone, wether front or back, will alter the perceived frequencies.
In such a close call, it's gonna make a hugh difference.

Will repeat my listening comparison with Btr 5 connected to my Surface Pro 7 on weekend. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back