[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #661 of 3,680
Ok, so I got my BTR5 this week, today I opened it. First impressions are good, I was expecting a lack of power in the single ended output based on my previous experience with the Q5s.
This little fella has some oomph, it can drive my HD600 to decent levels with volume set at 35/60 on high gain, excellent! The HE400i didn't fare so well, there is a sense of lack of bass. The X2HR sound pretty good, the best out of those 3 headphones.
The built quality seems pretty good, it feels like a pebble, I like the glass and metal construction, but it's a fingerprint magnet and I fear that the glass could scratch easily. The plastic clip is ok, but I think that the (p)leather case could be a good idea, kinda regret not buying it.
The display is very small, but useful, need to use it outside in the sun to see how is readability. The buttons are ok, the way the navigation works can be confusing, the "menu" and play buttons are used to cycle through the menu and you change the settings using the volume rocker, I think that cycle the menu with the volume rocker makes more sense and change the settings with the play button and the menu to exit or enter.
I didn't try to use the NFC feature as I never like it on any device.
The 3.5 mm jack fits very snugly with the headphone's plug, I like it, hopefully it won't get loose over time.
USB DAC works effortless, it even displays which sample rate playing. No drivers needed on Win 10 with USB 1.0 as expected.
The plastic clip is ok, works and keeps the BTR5 "protected" but I would like a better more elegant solution.
I haven't tried with IEMs, but once I do, I will report back, specially regarding hiss.
LDAC 990 with the S10 (exynos) keeps cutting, so I use best effort (adaptive), sounds ok, I am not very sensitive to bluetooth codecs, I think that even it sounds the same on USB or Bluetooth.

DAC family.jpg

Any way, I am pretty satisfied with the BTR5, definitely has more power than expected and it can be used as USB DAC, which is very handy. For $119 USD you cannot go wrong. It kinda makes the Q5s redundant now.

Jan 27, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #663 of 3,680
If you want to take your Bluetooth listening up a notch with little weight to consider, the reiyin APTX hd USB C transmitter. Uses a small USB c to USB a adapter, and that can be connected to Apple OTG kit, the white dongle you use for USB audio on iOS. It's only like $40, and it definitely sounds better than AAC, and not a huge drain on the battery.
Thank you very much for this information, I really appreciate it.

I have a second android phone but unfortunately is a previous Moto X generation that Lenovo did not update as promised. The most convenient solution for me is to use LDAC when I will upgrade my android phone with something newer since I carry always both phones with me.

Jan 27, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #664 of 3,680
So with this I can have my wired headphones to be wireless? Is there any information on the impedance of the headphones?

Jan 27, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #665 of 3,680
So with this I can have my wired headphones to be wireless? Is there any information on the impedance of the headphones?
It plays with all available impedances.
If it's what you mean.
Have paired it with the T1, which goes way over 1kOhm on some frequencies.

It's not as loud as with a proper amp, but it plays well on moderate volume.
Balanced is a must have on these headphones with the btr5. :wink:

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #666 of 3,680
It plays with all available impedances.
If it's what you mean.
Have paired it with the T1, which goes way over 1kOhm on some frequencies.

It's not as loud as with a proper amp, but it plays well on moderate volume.
Balanced is a must have on these headphones with the btr5. :wink:
Excellent. How's the battery life? There is ES100 too.

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #667 of 3,680
I've tested the Btr5 with a regular Usb-C to Usb-C cable purchased at amazon.
It do work with V30 and UAPP. :wink:

WIN_20200128_03_21_28_Pro.jpg WIN_20200128_03_25_23_Pro.jpg

Jan 27, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #668 of 3,680
Excellent. How's the battery life? There is ES100 too.
Battery life is quite good, but along with the weaker amp ES100 stays longer.
Keep in mind that the Btr5 is twice the power of ES100. :wink:

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #669 of 3,680
The more I listen to the BTR5 (LDAC 660, UAPP, Tidal HiFi) I appreciate its SQ more and more. Now I think that it slightly surpasses the ES100's SQ especially for clearer highs and better stage(?).

As far as the battery goes I managed to get more than 6 hours of play (iem: FH7, volume set to 21, low gain) before my battery reached 21% (from 100%). I will keep monitoring the battery utilization.

Jan 28, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #670 of 3,680
Watch a high level review of BTR5 vs. ES100 by Brian R

It’s a nice review, without question, just not so detailed in the sound comparison part (as he also says by himself). By the way, I hear things slightly different than him (might just be me though): To my ears BTR5 does not sound clearer, just has a different tonality. BTR5 pronounces mids/voices more, while ES100 sounds more v-shaped and colder in direct comparison. I’ve compared these two for quite a while now, side by side . For those who know: BTR5 actually sounds closer to XB10 by A&K (than ES100), just with slightly less bass emphasis and a bit more treble details...but still similar warm tonality with close voices....while ES100 pushes voices a bit more to the background (but also sounds wider/spacier through this).

Anyway I think these slight sound differences are not so important because whatever of these devices you listen to - you get used to its tonality soon. They all have their strengths and weaknesses in other areas though.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 3:25 AM Post #672 of 3,680
How does this little guy go with full sized headphones?

Sony MDR Z1R through the balanced output should do well?

Should be totally fine! I know someone who powered his HD800s with ES100 from time to time! And BTR5 has way more power..

Jan 28, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #673 of 3,680
Battery life is quite good, but along with the weaker amp ES100 stays longer.
Keep in mind that the Btr5 is twice the power of ES100. :wink:
Yeah, the ES100 up to 14 hours? And can you tell in what terms the BTR5 is twice the power of ES100?

Jan 28, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #674 of 3,680
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #675 of 3,680
14 hours on ES100 is probabely for lower codec, lower volume & gain and SE iems. Never achieved even closer to that with LDAC and balance iems (two different ES100s).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back